Article 1.3.022 of UCI Technical Regs

thearthurdog

Article 1.3.022 of UCI Technical Regs

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:20 am

Article 1.3.022 of UCI technical regs, specifies that the handlebar be no more than 5 cm in front of the bicycle’s front axle.

As a 193 cm giant with long, dingly, dangly arms, I am having a really hard time setting up my Fuji Track Elite (in giant's size) to be compliant. I have just gotten back on the track after 19 years off and looking at old photos, I don't think I was within the 5cm rule (which wouldn't have existed) all those years ago.

My bike has set up really nice at the back and in pursuit mode, but is proving to be a challenge for endurance bars.

Any other giants out there experienced similar?
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

brawlo

Re: Article 1.3.022 of UCI Technical Regs

Postby brawlo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 am

The track elite is actually a relatively short bike. You need to be chasing down the reach figures (bottom bracket to steerer dimension) of frames if you are contemplating changing. The Fuji comes in at 439mm according to the geo chart. There's a host of other frames that are 450mm and not many that are longer. I'm 196cm riding a frame that has 450mm reach, but will be going longer. The Dixie Flyer out of the USA will be the longest production frame I've come across in it's giant size with a reach of 465mm. They've gone back to the drawing board with those for some improvements so they're not out yet.

How much longer do you think you want/need? Custom may be an option if a stock frame won't fit

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am

I think I have managed to make it work. I race for the first time this weekend so will know more then. I probably had my saddle a little too far forward, so have gone back a bit and put in a slightly shorter stem. It is still right on the edge of being legal.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

I've never checked a standard track bike dimensions or even seen one checked. Even at state championship level we only check tt positions.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Don't recall ever getting my track bike checked for non TT events at Masters States or Nationals, but don't want to be at an event being told the bike is not compliant if they decide to check...

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Of course. The OP made no mention of what they're riding though. If it's just Club level I'd get it close enough and not give it a second thought.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:49 am

States and maybe nationals. I have it very close to legal now.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

I rechecked the regs, looks like you can have the bars 10cm forward of the axle if racing the following: flying 200 m, flying lap, sprint, team sprint, keirin, 500 metres and 1 kilometre).

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:42 pm

You know...I have raced a few times since I started this thread. I reckon if the comms put every track bike on a rig that checked article 1.3.022, I reckon DOZENS of people would get done. The issue looks like people set their bikes up for sprint / TT (10 cm in front) and then ride the same bike in scratch / points etc.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:44 pm

brawlo wrote:The track elite is actually a relatively short bike. You need to be chasing down the reach figures (bottom bracket to steerer dimension) of frames if you are contemplating changing. The Fuji comes in at 439mm according to the geo chart. There's a host of other frames that are 450mm and not many that are longer. I'm 196cm riding a frame that has 450mm reach, but will be going longer. The Dixie Flyer out of the USA will be the longest production frame I've come across in it's giant size with a reach of 465mm. They've gone back to the drawing board with those for some improvements so they're not out yet.

How much longer do you think you want/need? Custom may be an option if a stock frame won't fit
I have managed to get myself into a workable position. have you explored Duractec bikes? They look like the biggest I can find online. The Magnetic model (aluminium). Don't know of their availability in Australia, but I know Peter Spencer who runs GC Bikefit has a couple of them.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I've seen Duratec, and they're about on par for cost. They will do a custom sizing, so whatever your size, I know they'll fit. What I'm probably really hoping for is something that can fill in a few years until the new 61cm BTs hit the second hand market :lol: