Where to start?

KangarooJack

Where to start?

Postby KangarooJack » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:46 am

Hi all,

First post!

I was hoping that the experienced members here may be able to help with a few questions...

I am looking at getting into track/sprint cycling and would love to know - where do I start?

I have looked at the velodrome listings on wiki (posted by other members), and there are not really any close to me (Chatswood, NSW), but could make do with the travel to Lidcombe or similar.

What advice do you all have?

What clubs are recommended?

What bikes are recommended?

Is there a learners guide to all of this?

Thank you!

Scott

foo on patrol

Re: Where to start?

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:20 am

Just get yourself an entry level second hand Track bike and go from there. Go to your nearest Track and talk to people there. :wink:

There are no shortcuts as far as getting to the top level of riding. It will be a 2-4yr slog of pain sweat and tears. Pain is good is pain. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

QuangVuong

Where to start?

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am

First off, you will need at least a Silver recreational license before you can start riding track. CA have a 3 month silver license for $29 for new people. Don't buy it yet. Wait until just before you start off to buy one. It'll last you until the end of the track season(~March). And if you really enjoy it, you can upgrade your license in October(to get an extra 3 months for free) when track starts again.

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club(DHBC) is your closest club, one of the biggest in NSW. Their track sessions are on the site: http://www.dhbc.org.au/#track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Their velodrome is right next to Tempe station. Go to the track on one of their training nights and have a chat with them. They'll let you know all you need to know. They've got loaner bikes to use.

Lidcombe-Auburn Cycle Club (LACC) holds training on Wednesday evenings at 7pm, and racing on Fridays at around 7pm.
Their site is crap: http://lacc.org.au/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But at least their FB page is updated regularly: https://www.facebook.com/Lidcombe-Aubur ... 187953546/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bankstown Sports Cycle Club(BSCC) uses Dunc Gray Velodrome(DGV), which was the Sydney 2000 Olympics venue. During Spring/summer season, they have track racing on Wednesday nights. When it's winter, they have training(160 lap pace lines I think) on Wednesday nights.
Site is pretty messy, but info is there: http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/track.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB: https://www.facebook.com/BankstownSport ... ts&fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St George Cycle Club is probably the most race oriented club. They use Hurstville Oval. I've never been there, so I don't know what it's like.
http://www.stgeorge.cycling.org.au/defa ... Page=50147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a track in Merrylands, however, this one is in bad shape, and isn't used for racing anymore. I believe it was the Parramatta club who did use it a while back.

Don't worry about the getting a bike yet. Get out there, hop onto one of the club loaner bikes and see how you like it first. You learn as you ride, and there'll be someone leading you out most of the time especially when you start off.

Also get in touch with the clubs before you head to one of the training nights. Being Christmas/New Years now, some clubs don't run training sessions for a few weeks.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

KangarooJack

Postby KangarooJack » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Sorry about the late reply guys, thought I would post back once I had been to one of the carnival events - went to the last day out at Bankstown.

Foo, thanks for the help, I'll have to go out to a try the track day before I go down the path of buying a bike.

QV, thanks for such great insight! much appreciated! I think you are right re: clubs, Tempe will probably be the right place to train/get to!

I went out to watch day 5 of the Christmas Carnival races, it was excellent! very cool! far more aggressive than I thought it would be and they were moving reasonably quick around the track!

What do you guys do to train if you cant get to the track? long distance cycling and some gym work?

Any training resources you could recommend?

And, I know its a while off yet, but where would I start looking for bikes?

I'm really looking forward to having a crack at the track!

QuangVuong

Where to start?

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Track training is all about gaining experience on the track. You learn all the skills and 'rules' you need to know on the track.

I don't ride super crazy distances (3100km last year) nor do I do any gym work, but I do alright on the track. If you're reasonably fit you'll be fine to start off.

If I had known you were gonna go watch the Christmas Carnivals, we could've had a chat.

If you want to start having a look at bikes, join the Track Cycling Australia Marketplace and News Facebook page. Lots of people buying and selling track related items.

In terms of bikes, there is no huge differences between bikes. Weight makes no difference, so frame material doesn't affect much other than aero and stiffness, which a beginner needn't worry about yet. A good fit and a smooth BB and a set of wheels with decent tyres is all you need.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

KangarooJack

Postby KangarooJack » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi QV,

Thanks for the reply!

That would have been great, oh well, hopefully next time.

I'm not too worried about the weight of the bike yet (I'm 110kg) as a kg here or there at my weight wont make a difference. Good tip on the Facebook page - I'll be keeping my eye out! I'm hoping to get out to Bankstown fairly soon (likely tomorrow night) and have a chat with a few people.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:38 pm

I am in a similar boat. I have done the compulsory lesson and I have been back, hirer a bike and road around for the fun of it. But feel I want/need an objective to riding on the track.

So...how do I get into training for events?
It sounds like it is all based around clubs. You belong to a club that then organises event days and training for their members. Is that correct?

I am a member of the Macarthur Collegians on my CA membership with the Bankstown Velodrome (at least I think so) being the closest track.

What should be my next step?

Thank you.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi Dave
To be brutally honest, some clubs promote track racing, and others dont. Some clubs dont even know what a track bike looks like. Your club falls into the latter category. Your best option is to switch clubs to St George.
LACC, St George, Bicisport and Randwick Botany are the Sydney clubs who have a lot of members doing track racing. You really cant do track training on your own, you will just get tired and very bored going around in circles. These clubs all have track training sessions and regular racing. Switch clubs and get in with a group of similarly minded people.

The track season has finished, well it finishes next week after the masters nationals in Melbourne. Many riders will hang up their track bike until later in the year (September or so). Some will keep racing all winter at Paul Crafts RAW series on Friday nights at Dunc Gray velo Bankstown. But the numbers will be down over the next months and you will find it hard to do any track riding at all unless you can join a group / club who are doing it at the moment.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm

DaveQB wrote:.... But feel I want/need an objective to riding on the track.
How about going from a complete beginner who has never raced track and is scared to ride on the boards, to a State Gold medallist in 8 weeks?
Thats what the lady I am currently coaching has done.
Next week she hopes to become national champion in the pursuit race, although realistically, I dont think she is quite ready. From nothing to Australian champion in 11-12 weeks is a tough ask.
I might put a post up on here somewhere about it. Anything is possible on the track, but you will go nowhere by yourself because there are quite a lot of skills to be learned. Easy things but you need a coach, or a group of riders, to skill you up.
I am not in St George club but they do have track coaches, they do track training and they have a lot of riders who race track. Success usually comes from a group environment. If you stay as the only person in Macarthur with a track bike, you will need a person like me to help you, and Im not available and Im the only person who does this sort of thing for free / for the love of it.

But dont be discouraged because track racing is the most exciting pathway to become State, National or even World Champion. You have just under 12 months until all the big track races and track carnivals in Dec-Feb, so you have plenty of time to skill up and get amongst the action.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks Derny Driver

Why did you suggest St George? Seems a long way away from me, but if they are training at Bankstown anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. What about the Waratah Masters? They are the next closest club, I think they do track riding.

I do cycling as a 2nd sport, my main sport is American Football (yes, the other end of the athletic spectrum). As our season runs Sept to Dec I would only be interested in racing in the first half of the calendar year. Cycling will be a good sport for me to get more into after football (I am 38) but I have been playing football for 24 years now (15 years on the National team) and so probably have a few more years left. But the thrill of racing on a track does excite me.

I will look into this "Paul Craft RAW" series you mentioned and see.

Thanks again for information mate.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi all.

So I am planning on riding the track - lots of questions follow if you can help me out :D

So I ride club A on the road with NSCC who aren't a track club. Track would be for the winter unless I completely abandon Road/Crit racing which seems unlikely but you never know. The plan was to begin riding with DHBC on Wednesdays to learn to ride then eventually to Dunc Gray RAW series. It is a bit of a pain, but I was planning to go out on the train from work in the City (keeping the bike at work) and then taxi, walk, ride to the venue. To the questions please:

• Can I ride with DHBC on Wed not being from their club?
• Can I turn up there and do a few sessions or do I (really, really) have to do the 'try the track first'?
• Same for RAW, can I ride that as an NSCC gold licence holder?
• Am I going to die? Get tragically injured? (so this is kind of serious) I don’t mind falling off and loosing skin but I do mind being permanently debilitated. I assume the risks are not greater for serious injury in track racing than road/crit racing?
• If I stop pedalling as newbie can I destroy my knees – I have had a full knee reconstruction and am sensitive to this potential danger?
• Bike – I ride 175mm cranks, 54 top tube on the road..., I have my eye on an Hillbrick Pista (165mm cranks, 42/15, 1cm smaller than my road bike top tube at 53cm) thoughts? I think that 170mm cranks are probably more suited from my reading of this forum. My avg road cadence is around 85rpm so you would say that I grind more than spin.

Thank you,

FT

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Welcome to the fun side!
• Am I going to die? Get tragically injured? (so this is kind of serious) I don’t mind falling off and loosing skin but I do mind being permanently debilitated. I assume the risks are not greater for serious injury in track racing than road/crit racing?
Any activity has an element of risk. Track is safer as less solid objects to hit compared to road / crit and no one can panic and slam on the brakes in the bunch.
• If I stop pedalling as newbie can I destroy my knees – I have had a full knee reconstruction and am sensitive to this potential danger?
Riding fixed gear - if at speed stopping pedalling is more likely to high side you off than strain the knees.
• Bike – I ride 175mm cranks, 54 top tube on the road..., I have my eye on an Hillbrick Pista (165mm cranks, 42/15, 1cm smaller than my road bike top tube at 53cm) thoughts?
Usually you would go the opposite direction same or slightly longer TT as a general rule.
I think that 170mm cranks are probably more suited from my reading of this forum.
Correct - or even 165mm. I like you have 175mm on most of my bikes except the track bike where I ride 170mm's.
My avg road cadence is around 85rpm so you would say that I grind more than spin.
That will soon change after racing track a little while. 8)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:55 pm

ft_critical wrote:Hi all.

So I am planning on riding the track - lots of questions follow if you can help me out :D

So I ride club A on the road with NSCC who aren't a track club. Track would be for the winter unless I completely abandon Road/Crit racing which seems unlikely but you never know. The plan was to begin riding with DHBC on Wednesdays to learn to ride then eventually to Dunc Gray RAW series. It is a bit of a pain, but I was planning to go out on the train from work in the City (keeping the bike at work) and then taxi, walk, ride to the venue. To the questions please:

• Can I ride with DHBC on Wed not being from their club?
• Can I turn up there and do a few sessions or do I (really, really) have to do the 'try the track first'?
• Same for RAW, can I ride that as an NSCC gold licence holder?
• Bike – I ride 175mm cranks, 54 top tube on the road..., I have my eye on an Hillbrick Pista (165mm cranks, 42/15, 1cm smaller than my road bike top tube at 53cm) thoughts? I think that 170mm cranks are probably more suited from my reading of this forum. My avg road cadence is around 85rpm so you would say that I grind more than spin.

Thank you,

FT
Lots of worthwhile advice above.

I presume that the 42/15 mentioned above is the current gearing 75.6 GI. Whilst that is doable for riding around town on the flat (I'd prefer a 42/16 or 70.8) it would be way undergeared for an A grade crit rider on the track. I'd expect that you'd be looking at 52/15 (or 93.6 GI), possibly more. I see more chainrings and chain links in your future. Outdoor concrete tracks are noticeably slower than an indoor board track, at least 1 chainring tooth.

Cheers,

Cameron

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:23 pm

double post
Last edited by Derny Driver on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Derny Driver wrote:The Hillbrick sounds a touch small. You should use the same size bike road and track in my opinion.

I would recommend for outdoor concrete tracks training on 49-15 (88) and racing on around 52-15 (93).
For DGV Id say use between (49-14) 94 and 51-14 (98) depending on the race. Usually 50-14 (96)
So you need chainrings 49, 50, 51, 52 and cogs 14 and 15 to cover most options.

Usual track crank length is 165. My son is 6'1" tall so he uses 167.5
170 would be okay but not ideal. Some people use 175 for pursuiting.

I cant comment on Dulwich Hill arrangements, I dont know. You can ride RAW with a normal CA licence, no track induction required.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

dalai47 wrote:Welcome to the fun side!
Thanks dalai47, I am sure I will like it and I suspect I am better suited to the track than road and I agree your comment on cadence improvement.

Thanks to DD and Cameron for the advice on gearing, I might keep an eye out a little longer for the right rig even though I acknowledge if I keep it up I will start a little collection of chain rings and gears :)

Thanks for clearing up the DG RAW riding requirements DD.

Perhaps Mike or Strawburger can fill me in on Tempe?