Newbie rider from Brisbane - Asking about the models of my Nishiki bike

stormmusic2503

Newbie rider from Brisbane - Asking about the models of my Nishiki bike

Postby stormmusic2503 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Kim from Brisbane. It's my first time on this forum. I'm glad to know that Australia has this great cyclist community. Last week I got an old bike from my Aussie friend. All I know about it is a Nishiki Rapier Mountain Bike, 24 speed, Shimano gear. I google it but couldn't find anymore info. Can anyone here help me to find out its manufacturing years and more info??? I looking for the handout of this bike model if possible

Also because I'm new to Australia, can anyone please advice me good cleaning products for this bike???
Here is the photo of my bike.

Kind regards,

Comedian

Re: Newbie rider from Brisbane - Asking about the models of my Nishiki bike

Postby Comedian » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:39 am

Hi Kim. Welcome to the forum.

The brand Nishiki isn't super common here, but looks ok. Looking at the bike it looks pretty basic, but hopefully it's sound and you'll get many happy miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle)

As for cleaning, you could put some methylated spirits on a old rag and run the chain backwards. That should clean that up, and if you could then put some oil on it you'd be right to go. As for cleaning the bike, any sponge or brush, some detergent and the hose will sort it.

If you want, you could also possibly pop by a bike shop and they should be able to give you a quick appraisal of anything that needs to be done. It's a little hard to see the details in the photo.

If you give a rough location we could possibly advise what shops are in the area, and if there are any good paths near by. What sort of riding do you think you'd like to do?

stormmusic2503

Postby stormmusic2503 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:47 am

Hi Comedian! you for your information. The bike is old and I got it for free but this is the first time I have a mountain bike. I just want to use it to ride between school and home, I know a road bike will be a better choice but I got this bike for free and I think this bike is still good for going to school.
Now I looking for some somewhere to buy cleaning stuffs for this bike. I live in Goodna QLD. Do you have any advices about where I should go and what I should buy?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 am

Don't worry that bike is perfect for the school trip. I guess I'm saying you don't have to spend any money on specific cleaning products. Just use what you have around the home. You shouldn't need to spend much money to get it going. Bikes should be cheap!

There are several bike shops in Ipswich. The nearest is the "Yellow Jersey".

http://www.yellowjersey.com.au/page/The-Shops.htm

There is a website called "Ride the city" that might help you find good paths nearby.

http://www.ridethecity.com

Let us know how you go.

stormmusic2503

Postby stormmusic2503 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:05 pm

I need to lube the chain as well.
Here is the serial number I found on the bike 7XD0802566. Does anyone have any info about how old this bike is???

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 am

stormmusic2503 wrote:I need to lube the chain as well.
Here is the serial number I found on the bike 7XD0802566. Does anyone have any info about how old this bike is???
I sure don't have any idea. Maybe it's possible to find out, but what does it matter? It's not an expensive bike, and probably won't have any value other than for what it can do for you.

Often bikes don't actually get much riding. It's possible that even though it's several years old it might not have been ridden much at all. Hopefully if it was stored inside all the components will be in good condition so hopefully a wash and a chain lube and you'll be right to ride to school for many years. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 01, 2016 4:52 am

This maybe of some help to you and give ya something to do. :mrgreen:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... abase.html

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km