Cyclist charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria

find_bruce

Cyclist charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:33 pm

A man has been charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria. Currently the articles refer to his possible membership of "the patriot movement", "Reclaim Australia", "True Blue Crew" and being a "notorious right-wing extremist"

BUT check out the photo the ABC used

How long till the shock jocks start saying "cyclist charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria" ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Re: Cyclist charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:45 pm

He's clearly being terrorising motorists by riding his bike on the road.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Be kind. At least he's giving it a go eh?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Could of been more serious, he could of been riding on the footpath without a helmet or bell
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:40 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Be kind. At least he's giving it a go eh?
I am being kind - I have no issue with him riding a bike & didn't even point out that he appears to be wearing his jacket inside out. Whether or not the charges are justified is for a court to decide - my only point was how the media are quick to attach labels to individuals in order to make a point, usually based on nothing more than sterotype.

Not sure how old this photo is, via, but the helmet is getting on in years

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Go!Run!GAH!

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:03 am

find_bruce wrote:BUT check out the photo the ABC used

How long till the shock jocks start saying "cyclist charged after counter-terrorism raids in Victoria" ?
Even with the worst shock jocks around I can't imagine it going down that path.

I can't speak for everybody but all I see in that photo is a person. If the presence of certain type of transport (a bicycle) stands out so much that it is abnormal and it categorises the person then that is the bigger concern. But I don't think even Australia is THAT bad.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:05 am

find_bruce wrote: Whether or not the charges are justified is for a court to decide - my only point was how the media are quick to attach labels to individuals in order to make a point, usually based on nothing more than sterotype.
Indeed. Labels such as "terrorist".

This has been a god send to the media, who know the plebs will lap it up; the authorities, who can now legitimise almost any actions against the people they purport to "protect"; and the population, who can channel their fears. I look forward to anti-one nation protesters being labeled terrorists....they fit the criteria.

Terrorists :roll: .

Look to the oft repeated claim hereabouts that hivis everywhere is actually counterproductive.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 am

Slightly better headline than:
Terrorist charged after counter-cyclist raids (obviously in NSW).

It is quite possible that the ABC couldn't find any other photos of the guy. It is also quite possible that he has removed his photos from the internetz as part of his 'terrorist plotting'
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:15 am

human909 wrote:Even with the worst shock jocks around I can't imagine it going down that path.

I can't speak for everybody but all I see in that photo is a person. If the presence of certain type of transport (a bicycle) stands out so much that it is abnormal and it categorises the person then that is the bigger concern. But I don't think even Australia is THAT bad.
Do you think it is a coincidence that that news organisations choose to use those two photos when reporting on a person who is known to the police, the courts and the media?

There are other photos around of him, including his previous arrest & a nice one of him in his best suit after fronting court, but they rarely get used.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:
human909 wrote:Even with the worst shock jocks around I can't imagine it going down that path.

Do you think it is a coincidence that that news organisations choose to use those two photos when reporting on a person who is known to the police, the courts and the media?

There are other photos around of him, including his previous arrest & a nice one of him in his best suit after fronting court, but they rarely get used.
I mostly thought it was a little amusing that he was pictured in cycling gear, which may be the key reason it was used. I think it humanises him, more than a photo in a suit would have. I think it will help him if anything, as he really looks like a nice guy to me - salt of the Earth type? - who perhaps got a little tragically side-tracked. Yes, it is possible you really don't want to disagree with him on certain issues, particularly if you don't look just like him...Is he a real threat? Who knows? Will he be locked up for what he was thinking, or what he "MIGHT" do in the future...we'll see. :roll: If only ALL terror suspects could have their media mug-shots comprised of smiling pictures while wearing cycling gear, maybe their trial-by-media would go better?

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:29 pm

looking at him in that photo - i think it really puts him in a good light.
exercises, just a family man going about his day.

If they were to put a photo of him at a rally looking angry - that would have stirred some emotion i guess.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:23 pm

It will be interesting to find out the exact details of what he was doing or planning.

Terrorism does see to be an all encompassing label, I'd like to have more details of exactly what was going on. No idea so just total guesses here, but could have been something along the lines of planning for violent protests. Is that terrorism - I'm not sure? Or perhaps just planning for contingencies in the event that a protest does turn violent?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:42 pm

At least the guy doesn't have an issue showing his face, unlike this mob.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Nate wrote:looking at him in that photo - i think it really puts him in a good light.
exercises, just a family man going about his day.

If they were to put a photo of him at a rally looking angry - that would have stirred some emotion i guess.
If they showed a picture of him firing up the BBQ no one would of thought negatively of BBQ users and exactly the same should apply to bicycle users but we now how much cyclists have been out grouped. Out grouped that a cycling related photo is more negative than a violent protest photo
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:09 pm

On a slightly different note.
Last weekend a cycling "Snow Dropper" was picked up by the police in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.
Apprehended with multiple women undergarments in his backpack.
Allegedly had multiple outstanding warrants.

Which falls into line with.
A week or so ago I was cycling through the Northern suburbs when I noticed a police van occupants observing me. The van did a U turn from the other side of the road, pulled up beside me where the passenger officer wound down his window and took a good look at me.
I then heard a voice say - "It's not him, just an old guy on a bike"!
I wondered what it was all about at the time.