Next bike help

James028

Next bike help

Postby James028 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 am

Hi All,

I need a bit of help with my next bike. looking at a Trek Fuel 8 or Orbea Occam TR H10. I have about $6000, to spend.Any feedback or suggestions on a bike will be a great help to me. Thanks in advance.

Mububban

Re: Next bike help

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm

James028 wrote:Hi All,

I need a bit of help with my next bike. looking at a Trek Fuel 8 or Orbea Occam TR H10. I have about $6000, to spend.Any feedback or suggestions on a bike will be a great help to me. Thanks in advance.
$6000 is a pretty good budget. Are you after opinions on just those 2 bikes, or anything in your price range?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm

What sort of riding? I assume trail biased. There are plenty to choose from. Your budget is very healthy too.

I recently (dec) upgraded my mtb, but with a smaller budget, and looked at several. In the end they were much the same and it came down to which one looked good, felt the right size and fitted my budget, from a brand with LBS support. I ruled out GT due to aesthetics, Giant due to an irrational brand dislike, Cannondale 'just because'. I ended up with close race between Stumpjumper and a Remedy. A previous year model Remedy won out because it stretched the budget the furthest and was almost identical to new year stock anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

James028

Postby James028 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 am

Mububban wrote:
James028 wrote:Hi All,

$6000 is a pretty good budget. Are you after opinions on just those 2 bikes, or anything in your price range?
Anything in that price range.
thanks

James028

Postby James028 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am

bychosis wrote:What sort of riding? I assume trail biased. There are plenty to choose from. Your budget is very healthy too.

I recently (dec) upgraded my mtb, but with a smaller budget, and looked at several. In the end they were much the same and it came down to which one looked good, felt the right size and fitted my budget, from a brand with LBS support. I ruled out GT due to aesthetics, Giant due to an irrational brand dislike, Cannondale 'just because'. I ended up with close race between Stumpjumper and a Remedy. A previous year model Remedy won out because it stretched the budget the furthest and was almost identical to new year stock anyway.
Was looking at Stumpjumper aswell. A Remedy is more enduro bike than a trail bike.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 pm

As far as I was aware the stumpy and remedy fit the same bracket, aggressive trail. There are more enduro based models available, and both have a trail bike under them (Camber and Fuel Ex) which is one step above the XC version.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

James028 wrote: Was looking at Stumpjumper aswell. A Remedy is more enduro bike than a trail bike.
I'm in the market for a new trail bike too, also with a similar budget (though I'm going to stretch it to $8k if needed)

So I'm currently (seriously) considering...

Pivot Mach429 Trail (about 7.3k)
Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 ($6K)

and curious about...

YT Jeffsy
Canyon (though the Spectral might be too burly for my more modest needs, and Neuron is too close to XC)
Devinci Django (might be a bit pricey) [edit - just saw a review for this and it's not for me, weirdly it has 140mm up front and 120 out back]
Ibis Ripley (definitely seems too pricey)

Stredda

Postby Stredda » Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 am

I'd recommend looking at the Norco Sight 29er. It rates well in the reviews and I have the 27.5 version and its a great bike

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri May 18, 2018 5:09 pm

I was impressed with the Lapierre Zesty XM a while back. Full XT 2 X 11and a decent height bb for my local rocky area. Worth a look if you can source one locally. The RS revolution fork may be a bit flexy compared to fox 34 if you are a heavy weight. Would have been my choice if had gone with a dually trail/cc bike. Ended up with + HT for less than half the price and for something different.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.