Disc wheel upgrade <$1000

Defy The Odds

Re: Disc wheel upgrade <$1000

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Mububban wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:How do you find the wheels mate?
I've done one commute (2 x 13km) and one short group ride this morning (40km) on fairly familiar roads. So far, they're good. Not a complete "oh my god" revelation (like the 1350g wheelset on a TCR that's also 2.5kg lighter than my bike), but definitely a noticeable and worthwhile improvement.

Basically, I'm not having to change down gears as often. I'm able to stay in a gear for longer before changing, or not need to change at all, due to them spinning far easier. My usual shift points on familiar roads have changed or been eliminated. They accelerate easier too.

I haven't gone down any familiar long climbs or descents to gauge how they roll at speed, but I think they'll definitely be a big help for the 3 Dams next Sunday.

So far so good, no buyer's remorse whatsoever about not going for a "name brand."
Glad you like them mate. Sounds all very positive.

Do you notice the difference in weight though?
I am considering another set of wheels for my Giant Toughroad (gravel bike) for road rides and group rides

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: Do you notice the difference in weight though?
I am considering another set of wheels for my Giant Toughroad (gravel bike) for road rides and group rides
Well they only shave ~600g off a total system weight of ~11kg, but yes, I can absolutely feel the difference in rotating weight with these wheels. As I said, I rode my usual commute route, and a familiar group ride route, and I pretty much know when and where I change gears on these rides. On the new wheels, I found myself not needing to downshift as much, or get out of the saddle where I'm used to doing. Getting up to speed is easier, and maintaining it on inclines is easier.

Although I'm gone from a near silent rear wheel freehub to a moderate volume ratchety sound, which I'm not a big fan of! Although it does make you more noticeable to pedestrians on shared paths (I do still have the bell on as I ride on PSP so much).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Mububban wrote:....

Although I'm gone from a near silent rear wheel freehub to a moderate volume ratchety sound, which I'm not a big fan of! Although it does make you more noticeable to pedestrians on shared paths ....
Funnily enough I had this exact same experience when I went from Mavic Aksiums to a set of custom aero wheels. Sounded like something from a Call of Duty highlight. You get used to it.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 am

Defy The Odds wrote: Glad you like them mate. Sounds all very positive.

TL:DR - I love the new wheels.

These new wheels are magic in the hills. I don't find myself going any faster downhill or on the flats (hard to quantify apart from max speed etc) seeing as the PR-2 are ~32mm deep and the Primes are 38mm deep. But my word, the weight difference when climbing is remarkable.

I rode with the same guy I did the last hills sportive with, and even he commented how easily I was maintaining my speed on the uphills compared to the last ride we did on the PR-2 stock wheels. For short sections I'd just get out of the saddle, put on a small burst of power and be over the top.
When out of the saddle, I didn't have that feeling of hauling a heavy weight up the hill. Of struggling to get the pedal over, and then to "fall" over the top of the pedal stroke if you know what I mean. I was just able to keep pedalling without that heavy feeling.

Keep in mind, with my saddle bag, bidons and lights etc my bike still weighs in around 10.5kg. And I still weigh 66-68kg. But losing ~600g from the wheels has made way more of a difference than I thought it would.

As much as I still want a shiny new bike, having conquered a hilly event on my chunky monkey alloy bike has highlighted that it's definitely a want, not a need :)

FWIW I saw 2 other bikes the same model as mine. One still had the stock wheels and another had some Zipp wheels :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Mububban wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote: Glad you like them mate. Sounds all very positive.

TL:DR - I love the new wheels.

These new wheels are magic in the hills. I don't find myself going any faster downhill or on the flats (hard to quantify apart from max speed etc) seeing as the PR-2 are ~32mm deep and the Primes are 38mm deep. But my word, the weight difference when climbing is remarkable.

I rode with the same guy I did the last hills sportive with, and even he commented how easily I was maintaining my speed on the uphills compared to the last ride we did on the PR-2 stock wheels. For short sections I'd just get out of the saddle, put on a small burst of power and be over the top.
When out of the saddle, I didn't have that feeling of hauling a heavy weight up the hill. Of struggling to get the pedal over, and then to "fall" over the top of the pedal stroke if you know what I mean. I was just able to keep pedalling without that heavy feeling.

Keep in mind, with my saddle bag, bidons and lights etc my bike still weighs in around 10.5kg. And I still weigh 66-68kg. But losing ~600g from the wheels has made way more of a difference than I thought it would.

As much as I still want a shiny new bike, having conquered a hilly event on my chunky monkey alloy bike has highlighted that it's definitely a want, not a need :)

FWIW I saw 2 other bikes the same model as mine. One still had the stock wheels and another had some Zipp wheels :)
Good stuff mate !

I think even with the additional weight the fact that less rotational mass makes a huge difference.

What bike have you got btw ?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: What bike have you got btw ?
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc. Alloy frame, carbon fork, 105 gearing, geometry between the Defy and TCR I think. They categorise it as "All Rounder" rather than Endurance or Race.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Sounds similar to my Toughroad SLR GX 0.

Except more gravel geometry (low BB, taller stack and longer reach than a Defy - which I also own).

I have the stock wheels which are PX-2 Disc Tubeless running 40mm tubeless tyres but want a set of wheels for road use to run 28mm Schwalbe One Tubeless

Do you have a pic of the bike with the new wheels on ?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Mububban wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote: What bike have you got btw ?
2017 Giant Contend SL1 Disc. Alloy frame, carbon fork, 105 gearing, geometry between the Defy and TCR I think. They categorise it as "All Rounder" rather than Endurance or Race.
Same geometry as the Defy; just with the last frame redesign a couple of years ago they decided to rename the aluminium versions as the Contend series.

If you really want to feel how much difference a good set of wheels makes, plot out a (preferably quiet) course with frequent, moderately tight corners, and cut some laps on each wheelset. When you're on & off the gas and cornering a lot, you'll really feel the stiffness and responsiveness of good wheels.

And to really drive it home, ride the old wheels again after the good ones; the improvements can sometimes be subtle until you go back to the inferior products.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Do you have a pic of the bike with the new wheels on ?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 pm

uad782 wrote:You may be lucky. I ordered a bike from Germany which cost ~ $2800 and paid no charges at all. It just showed up on the door! I believe it is a lottery.
Mason frame arrived in Sydney today. Got a call from the Clearance Agency requesting payment of charges for Import (as expected).

Was slightly cheaper than I budgeted for.

Breakdown of costs:-
Customs Clearance Agency $75
Customs Management Re-Engineering $25 (Say What? We are paying for Customs to Re-Engineer their system?)
GST to Customs $477.98
AQIS Processing Charge $33 (really, for a Titanium frame, AQIS had to check it?)
Declaration Processing Charge $50
GST on Processing Fees $10

Total: $670.98

I budgeted $700
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 09, 2018 10:07 am

queequeg wrote: ...AQIS Processing Charge $33 (really, for a Titanium frame, AQIS had to check it?)
Yeah, but you could be sneaky and hide a ink or two of sausages in the seat tube ....

So, where are pics of the frame ? 8)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: ...AQIS Processing Charge $33 (really, for a Titanium frame, AQIS had to check it?)
Yeah, but you could be sneaky and hide a ink or two of sausages in the seat tube ....

So, where are pics of the frame ? 8)
When the courier delivers it I can get some photos. It just got released from customs late yesterday and is on its way to the Delivery Depot.

Getting the build done next week

Update: literally, just after I posted this...Courier showed up and delivered the frame :-) Gonna be a fun day!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 am

queequeg wrote: ..
Update: literally, just after I posted this...Courier showed up and delivered the frame :-) Gonna be a fun day!
So, where's the PICS !!!.

Priorities man, priorities :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am

MichaelB wrote:

Well, I'd post photos, but I have no easy way to do this on the forums anymore...plus I am stuck on a conference call for the last 2 hours :-(

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm

IMGUR is easy and free

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm

What did you do with tyres?
Swap them to new wheels or go with something different?

I would be interested to see your review comparison if you put the PR-2 wheels back on and compared in the downgrade direction.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:

Just a few teasers. The Frame is with the builder getting assembled. Should have it back next week.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 pm

^^^^^^^^^

Them welds = beautiful !

Very, very nice frame !

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Jmuzz wrote:What did you do with tyres?
Swap them to new wheels or go with something different?

I would be interested to see your review comparison if you put the PR-2 wheels back on and compared in the downgrade direction.
The rear tyre was getting low, but I kept the stock tyres on the PR-2 rims and put GP4000sII on the new rims.

I've considered popping the stock wheels back on for a comparison, but not sure if I can be faffed fiddling with the disc calipers...I probably will one day though :)

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Got my own set of RP28 coming, Schwable Pro One tubeless, Ultegra discs kept at 160mm so should just be able to switch full wheelsets easy.
So will be able to do my own comparisons :)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue May 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Got my own set of RP28 coming, Schwable Pro One tubeless, Ultegra discs kept at 160mm so should just be able to switch full wheelsets easy.
So will be able to do my own comparisons :)
My LBS mechanic said I might need to tweak the disc calipers a mm or so between wheelsets, which does't look too hard according to Youtube, but I haven't tried it myself yet :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Picked up this little beauty today. Red spacers are temporary. Due my lack of fitness, bars are 10mm higher than the final position will be.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjGr6I4hEUX

Wheels are the Hunt SuperDura Dyno Disc

Some more photos to follow :-)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm

queequeg wrote:Picked up this little beauty today. Red spacers are temporary. Due my lack of fitness, bars are 10mm higher than the final position will be.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjGr6I4hEUX

Wheels are the Hunt SuperDura Dyno Disc

Some more photos to follow :-)
Nice. Cool colour scheme.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go