Commuter bike suggestions

trailgumby

Commuter bike suggestions

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 15, 2018 11:29 pm

After a shift out of the finance sector to a new role in the greenhouse gas industry :oops: I am needing to return to riding with racks and pannier so I can carry a laptop between home and the office.

Requirements will be disc-braked drop-bar frame, with either BB30 or BSA bottom bracket. Thru-axles preferably. Must be able to accept a rear pannier rack and mudguards of some kind. I have a Topeak disc frame rack. I'm guessing the frame will be metal rather than carbon.

I went to have a look at Polygon's offerings last weekend but they have shut their North Manly showrooms it seems and they only have 1x11 in their product line anyway. :x Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

1Rowdy1

Re: Commuter bike suggestions

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 am

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 am

1Rowdy1 wrote:Might be worth a test ride? https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/touri ... /103442447
If the right size is available the Cannondale is very good value.
Despite the touring label it’s way too highly geared for a heavy load but a perfect bike for commuting.
If I had the need l wouldn’t mind one.
Looks like a Tubus rack on the back, a nice touch and very good running gear.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am

Since you already have a rack, MTB Direct has the Wayward Cape York on special. A lot of bike for that money.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

trailgumby wrote: with either BB30 or BSA bottom bracket.
Why, pray tell?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Did you have a budget in mind? Full Build or Frameset only?

I have heard good things about the Kinesis Framesets https://www.pushys.com.au/kinesis-cross ... -57cm.html, but not sure what size frame you are. They have some 57 and 60cm framsets, plus a 51cm one. Nothing in the middle at the moment, but the frameset seems to tick all the boxes except that it's QR, not Thru-Axle. But, it can run Hydro Disc Brakes
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Why, pray tell?
Firstly, my observation of press fit BBs is they are vastly more trouble than they are worth. Especially on all-weather bikes. Specialized has reverted to BSA on many of their high-end bikes, to the cheering of bike mechanics everywhere.
Secondly, I have a Rotor 3D+ crankset with a P2M power meter I will be wanting to fit. It can use a standard BB30 BB with the supplied spacers or BSA with their BSA30 bottom bracket.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 pm

queequeg wrote:Did you have a budget in mind? Full Build or Frameset only?

I have heard good things about the Kinesis Framesets https://www.pushys.com.au/kinesis-cross ... -57cm.html, but not sure what size frame you are. They have some 57 and 60cm framsets, plus a 51cm one. Nothing in the middle at the moment, but the frameset seems to tick all the boxes except that it's QR, not Thru-Axle. But, it can run Hydro Disc Brakes
I'm currently riding a 61cm CAAD9 but 58 would probably be more appropriate for reach with a standard stem.

I have an open mind on budget. Anywhere from cheap and cheerful to moderate Ti and build it myself, including wheels. It will be an all-weather ride. Hunting for ideas at the moment.

The main thought around thru axles was they do improve lateral stiffness and therefore handling, but they will also be the way the market goes as discs come into the pro peloton, so looking to future-proof to some degree I guess. QR on a cheaper bike/build would be acceptable.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm

trailgumby wrote:
queequeg wrote:Did you have a budget in mind? Full Build or Frameset only?

I'm currently riding a 61cm CAAD9 but 58 would probably be more appropriate for reach with a standard stem.

I have an open mind on budget. Anywhere from cheap and cheerful to moderate Ti and build it myself, including wheels. It will be an all-weather ride. Hunting for ideas at the moment.

The main thought around thru axles was they do improve lateral stiffness and therefore handling, but they will also be the way the market goes as discs come into the pro peloton, so looking to future-proof to some degree I guess. QR on a cheaper bike/build would be acceptable.
I have no idea what "moderate Ti" looks like in terms of a budget these days, but I am running a Lynskey Cooper CX as my commuter and it ticks all the boxes. Mine is a 2011 Frame, which was all mechanical disc with QR. The current versions of the frame are all Flat-Mount Disc, Thru-Axles and can take full length Hydraulic Cables. $1800 for the frame on it's on on Chain Reaction (http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod165961). Sounds pricey, but I just dropped almost $6k on a Ti frameset, so compared to that it is a steal :-)
At the same time, Lynskey are doing a Spring Sales Event at the moment on their Gravel Bikes, which are pretty much the Cooper CX with clearance for massive tyres: https://lynskeyperformance.com/gr-260-gravel-bike/
Not a bad deal at $US2850 for a complete bike with Shimano 105, which you can change according to budget.

Overall I have been super pleased with my Cooper CX. I fitted it with SKS Chromplastic Guards and a Tubus Airy Titanium rack, and it really is a fantastic commuter bike. I paid just on $3k for in a similar deal to above (then add another $400 GST & customs on arrival). It recently got repaired under warranty due to a small crack in a weld, and it came back from them looking brand new. They fixed the crack and refinished the frame into "like new" condition.

Last edited by queequeg on Fri May 18, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm

As a commuter bike with everything you'd possibly need...and that is a Vivente Anatolia/ Patagonia or Deccan although the Deccan only has cable discs, they are the type that both calipers move towards the rotor, the other two have hydraulic.
Already come with guards, dyno hub and tubus rack and AXA front and rear lights that stay on for around 5 minutes after stopping and with USB charging capabilities from front light.
Viventes will cope with anything you will throw at it.
Not cheap at $2,750 but a great commuter investment whichever way you look at it.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Why not just use a frame bag that will fit your laptop and the bike you want to ride often? The roads are not that bad in your part of the world to need a full time / dedicated commuter. If you need more room for stuff get a seatpost bag as well. I ran a very cheap banjo brothers seatpost bag going back and forth the shb for years without issues. IF I needed to lug more stuff for a day then I would grab the touring bike with racks and panniers.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am

trailgumby wrote:Firstly, my observation of press fit BBs is they are vastly more trouble than they are worth. Especially on all-weather bikes. Specialized has reverted to BSA on many of their high-end bikes, to the cheering of bike mechanics everywhere
Ah, my mistake. I'd not recognised that BSA was ISO/English aka BSC. Bloody sensible move.
baabaa wrote:Why not just use a frame bag that will fit your laptop and the bike you want to ride often?
I'm running a topeak tourist DX with a DIY version of their MTX office bag. I can fit laptop; an inch or so of documents; clothes and lunch easily. Much less windage than using the panniers.

The challenge comes when I need to pick up milk or wine on the way home, or need to bring more stuff, such as shoes. Whereas I can fit my carry on bag in the panniers. A rollup or stuffable soft pannier bag would be nice.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
Why, pray tell?
Firstly, my observation of press fit BBs is they are vastly more trouble than they are worth. Especially on all-weather bikes. Specialized has reverted to BSA on many of their high-end bikes, to the cheering of bike mechanics everywhere.
Secondly, I have a Rotor 3D+ crankset with a P2M power meter I will be wanting to fit. It can use a standard BB30 BB with the supplied spacers or BSA with their BSA30 bottom bracket.
I have a Rotor 3D+ with a p2max on my Lynskey, which is also a BSA Bottom Bracket, I have the Rotor BSA30 Bottom Bracket fitted to it and it's great. Only thing I don't like is that there is no sleeve between the cups, so crud getting into the hole on the bottom can get onto the spindle. I have a spare bottom bracket for when the Rotor one wears out, and that is a Wheels Manufacturing BSA30 with replaceable bearings.

Saved me a bundle not having to get a new crankset and power meter combination just because it was a 30mm spindle :-)

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri May 18, 2018 1:39 pm

baabaa wrote:Why not just use a frame bag that will fit your laptop and the bike you want to ride often? ....
is there a frame bag that will fit a laptop?

(keen to learn more as it might suit my commuting needs too :D )

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 pm

caneye wrote:
baabaa wrote:Why not just use a frame bag that will fit your laptop and the bike you want to ride often? ....
is there a frame bag that will fit a laptop?

(keen to learn more as it might suit my commuting needs too :D )
I think it would depend on the laptop and the framebag. I could imagine my Surface Pro fitting into a full framebag in the triangle, but at the expense of losing my bottle cages.

I personally commute with a lot of excess crap to prepare for all conditions. I have two pannier bags, one of which is filled with all my wet weather gear. If the weather is fine, and the forecast is to stay fine (<50% chance of rain), I leave the second bag at home. Otherwise, I head off with two pannier so that if it really buckets down coming home, I have some appropriate gear to switch to.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Hiya trailgumby.
A bit off topic but I'm wondering how the CAAD9 is going? Do you enjoy riding it? Still running well? Comfortable?

I still own my BBQ black 2009 CAAD9. I love it despite the BB30 which has been behaving well in recent years.
Also, despite aluminium's reputation as being a harsh ride I find mine to be a very nice smooth ride even on 23mm rubber at relatively high pressure.
It has become my sentimental favourite bike, owned since my re-introduction to serious cycling nearly ten years ago.
I'm riding it at least once a week, it's clocked close to 50K's and I rank it as very close to equal in performance as my super carbon race machine (2017 TCR Adv SL frame).
Bike "technology" hasn't really advanced all that much in the space of ten years, the CAAD is an excellent race bike that transforms into a "plodder" for old hacks like me. There isn't much seperates it from bikes multiple times as costly and proclaimed state of the art.
Oh yeah, the "Handmade in USA" adds a little bit of attractiveness over the standard, and by no means diminished performance of the Taiwanese dominated market.