1966 - what would be a good project ....

MichaelB

1966 - what would be a good project ....

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

I've always been hankering for a nice roadie that's as old as I am, but never seriously looked.

About the only thing I'd care about is that it needs to be from 1966 (within reason). It doesn't have to be period correct, top shelf or from a particular brand or country.

I'd like it to be a nice bike (or be able to be built to one), and happy for it to remain in 'original condition' (i.e. rough original patina that is kept, but cleaned up) rather than make it a showroom piece.

It'd need to have a TT that's about 56-57cm to suit 6' tall (184cm for them modern peeps).

Any suggestions, options or advice ?

Cheers

Michael B

10speedsemiracer

Re: 1966 - what would be a good project ....

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:I've always been hankering for a nice roadie that's as old as I am, but never seriously looked.

About the only thing I'd care about is that it needs to be from 1966 (within reason). It doesn't have to be period correct, top shelf or from a particular brand or country.

I'd like it to be a nice bike (or be able to be built to one), and happy for it to remain in 'original condition' (i.e. rough original patina that is kept, but cleaned up) rather than make it a showroom piece.

It'd need to have a TT that's about 56-57cm to suit 6' tall (184cm for them modern peeps).

Any suggestions, options or advice ?

Cheers

Michael B
Does this need to be fiscally responsible, or is there a 'luxury purchase' mindset at play ?

I'm thinking something like a '66 Raleigh Superb (Sturmey-Arhcer hub) or maybe a Claud Butler road bike (mostly Campagnolo Gran Record). My reasoning being that it needs to be prevalent enough for you to find one and be able to date it, but nice enough that it's worth spending time and $s on...

Maybe a '66 Malvern Star roadster/semi-racer style bike (2 star?).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

born too late.
Not many on Speedbicycles for that year.
And bikes from that period don't seem to come up for sale. Another rider (born 1963) was interested in doing the same, but nothing appears.
Whether they are still in the garages waiting to be rediscovered, time will tell.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am

(AT) 10speedsemiracer - At the moment, it's just a browse to see what is around, rather than a must have. Lower budget rather than upper, but for the right thing .....

(AT) Clydesdale Scot - some nice looking bikes there, but given the effort put into the site, beyond my price range !!!!

There was a semi-collector that lived nearby (Rolf something ?) that had one that I liked, but it wasn't for sale at the time - a Poghliagi (spelling ?) - anyway, if someone has something that may suit, let me know.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 pm

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm

I was just browsing that very site !!! I saw the Redl, and the bit I laughed about is that my parents are from Munich, so that would be an apt bike indeed.

Nice steeds, sooooo many, but outta my price range.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:born too late...
And bikes from that period don't seem to come up for sale. Another rider (born 1963) was interested in doing the same, but nothing appears.
Whether they are still in the garages waiting to be rediscovered, time will tell.
This one would be sixties (or maybe 50's)

That is way over priced I reckon but they are around.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 am

Imwit wrote:......way over priced I reckon
for an unidentified frame with issues, that is extremely optimistic imo

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 am

MichaelB wrote: There was a semi-collector that lived nearby (Rolf something ?) that had one that I liked, but it wasn't for sale at the time - a Poghliagi (spelling ?) - anyway, if someone has something that may suit, let me know.
He disposed of his collection years ago to concentrate on old Porsche's.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 am

Ah, fair enough. Nioce thing to bele to afford to 'collect'.

Then again, I may just end up getting something like this from RonK (my size too ....)

Still, bit high for my budget.

Regret letting go of the Cinelli Nuovo SuperCorsa that I owned a while ago :oops: :cry:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 am

^ Every time I see that Chesini I start doing financial calculations in my head.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Every time I see that Chesini I start doing financial calculations in my head.
And each time, my bank balance doesn't match :(

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:
P!N20 wrote:^ Every time I see that Chesini I start doing financial calculations in my head.
And each time, my bank balance doesn't match :(
You know these Italian show ponies, while nice, are really no better than a Super Elliott or the like if you are going Aus or some sort of Claud or Holdsworth (or your Fav British Builder Here) except the price tag. In my experience Italian chrome generally falls far short of GB equivalents unless it has been stored really well in the last 50 odd years. Look around for a local frame or GB/French import that some one brought over with them. If you are in SA it seems that you are in a good spot

Richard

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm sure there are people out there that are trying to bait me. To suggest that as a generalization that Italian bikes are no better than many made in other counties is absolute nonsense. I'm no fan of Colnago, but the bikes he produced during the early sixties are simply pieces of artisan craftsmanship.These bikes are highly sort after for a reason, they were among the best of there time. Italians are passionate about four things, exotic cars, food, racing bikes and women. They produced some of the best ever made in each category. My main focus of collecting is Italian bikes of the late 70's to the early 90's. I do have some bikes from different countries and era's. Recently it was suggested in forum I read that if you disguised some bikes that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between bikes.Then why did some of the most noted frame builders from countries other than Italy, go to Italy as apprentices to learn the art frame building. Others have bought Italian frames and made a living copying them. I don't for a minute suggest that there aren't frame builders from other countries that are great, but there were more passionate and gifted frame builders in italy than any where else. Oh by the way if there is any body out there who has a De rosa and wants to swap for a Super Elliott, please contact me!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 am

Michael, you could do a wanted to buy post on the Facebook Retro Cycling Marketplace
https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrocyclingmarketau/

Philip

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 pm

bog1953 wrote:Oh by the way if there is any body out there who has a De rosa and wants to swap for a Super Elliott, please contact me!
I like it.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm

bog1953 wrote:I'm sure there are people out there that are trying to bait me.
Not intentionally I assure you.
bog1953 wrote:Then why did some of the most noted frame builders from countries other than Italy, go to Italy as apprentices to learn the art frame building. Others have bought Italian frames and made a living copying them.
Hmmm The only time any of the older framebuilders I met in the South East of England went to Italy was when they went there during WWII and often expressed no desire to return. Probably didn't see the place at it's best tho.
bog1953 wrote: I don't for a minute suggest that there aren't frame builders from other countries that are great, but there were more passionate and gifted frame builders in italy than any where else.
You do realise that building a steel bicycle frame is really just advanced plumbing in engineering terms? :P I have no problem with there being good framebuilders in Italy but the fact remains that there was (and is still) a lot of selling the sizzle not the sausage. Campagnolo is a prime example of this. OK the hubs are pretty good :wink: but really they stopped being 'the best' derailleurs as soon as SunTour brought out the slant parallelogram and their brakes were pretty but basically no better than Weinmann sidepulls of the day. Did this stop 'normal' cyclists salivating over their components? Of course not!
bog1953 wrote:Oh by the way if there is any body out there who has a De Rosa and wants to swap for a Super Elliott, please contact me!
Might take you up on that. Find me a top of the line Super Elliot with all the flash lugwork, original paint in good condition, forward facing dropouts and original equipment then I'll swap my 'cooking' level De Rosa frame (admittedly probably not made by De Rosa....)

Richard

Oh yes and Italians never did go for fancy lugs in a big way.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 pm

This post is about mid sixties bikes, not pr-war. In this period, 60's, the Italians were producing some of the best bikes. By the 70's to 90's they were the leaders, in both innovation and use of materials, which is the era I focus on. I agree that Campagnolo is overrated, I prefer Shimano and Suntour group sets, which I have mentioned a number of times in previous posts. I would love to meet anyone who would swap a 1960's Super Elliott for a 1960's De rosa.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 pm

WyvernRH wrote:........ that there was (and is still) a lot of selling the sizzle not the sausage. ....
Thanks Richard, now I want sausages...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 pm

MichaelB wrote:
happy for it to remain in 'original condition' (i.e. rough original patina that is kept, but cleaned up) rather than make it a showroom piece.

Cheers

Michael B
The bike or the rider?

Whatever you get, I think that it'd be good to get some Aus-made stuff on it, Bell saddle, VEW hubs etc. (If they are still of the right period).

Cheers,

Cameron

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

ironhanglider wrote: The bike or the rider?

Whatever you get, I think that it'd be good to get some Aus-made stuff on it, Bell saddle, VEW hubs etc. ...
Cameron
:lol: :lol:

If it was me, I'd be falling apart.

Going the route you suggested would take more effort & time (not to mention $$) than I'd be prepared for.

I'll keep my eyes open and see what comes up.

I'll have a look at the Farceberk group that CS mentioned and see what is on there. Ta

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

As for an Aussie built option (not 1966), but this Jim Bundy is as sweet as ...

Just a bit biiig for me :?

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm

MichaelB wrote: I was just browsing that very site !!! I saw the Redl, and the bit I laughed about is that my parents are from Munich, so that would be an apt bike indeed.
If your parents are from Germany get a 1966 Bauer. Might take a bit of time to track down a frame but no where near as expensive as the Italian stuff.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon May 28, 2018 9:59 pm

a conception
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holdsworth-M ... SwCeRa-wZX

yes, I know; close but no cigar.