Moron Motorists #3

skyblot

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby skyblot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:03 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Got a photo of the dent?
Sadly, no. It was a high racer recumbent so the right pedal/crank arm was the part that made contact. A good solid bit of the bike....

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:10 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Ouch, glad you're ok! How is the bike though? :)
We're fine. We almost stopped in time. Low res video:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

skyblot wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Ouch, glad you're ok! How is the bike though? :)
We're fine. We almost stopped in time. Low res video:
He drove off while you were on the ground?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm

mikesbytes wrote: He drove off while you were on the ground?
Yep. Stopped about 100yds down the road for 30 sec maybe, then drove off. Nice hey!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm

skyblot wrote:
Yep. Stopped about 100yds down the road for 30 sec maybe, then drove off. Nice hey!
Leaving the scene of a collision, there's a huge penalty for that

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am

mikesbytes wrote:
skyblot wrote:
Leaving the scene of a collision, there's a huge penalty for that
I'd be reporting that. He left you lying on the ground. What if you were injured or there was property damage?

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Yeah well, first you need a rego number.... Neither camera caught it, nor me, nor the driver that did stop to see if I was all right....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Once you report it to the cops they will get the CSI team to check cameras in the area, while Sergeant Lewis goes around all the smash repair places looking for a white 3 door hatchback with a dented door - there can't be more than a couple of hundred places.

What do you mean TV is not reality?

pj

Postby pj » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Once you report it to the cops they will get the CSI team to check cameras in the area, while Sergeant Lewis goes around all the smash repair places looking for a white 3 door hatchback with a dented door - there can't be more than a couple of hundred places.

What do you mean TV is not reality?
They probably would do this if he was a pedestrian!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 pm

pj wrote:They probably would do this if he was a pedestrian!
Nah, pedestrians rate barely higher than a cyclist, killing one is just a whoopsie. Only times I have seen the cops go to that sort of lengths to track someone down are drugs, terrorism & Marcus Einfeld

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:20 pm

What kind of moron wants their car to emit noise?

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/the- ... ed-on-him/

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What kind of moron wants their car to emit noise?
Um, me 8) :D :P :wink:

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 pm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-1 ... ne/9871012

Airborne ute lands on three cars north of Brisbane after plunging from highway off-ramp

.... to be fair, the police are yet to conclusively determine how the accident occurred.... but the stranger than fiction nature of this event almost warrants its own thread.
Go!Run!GAH!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 am

That's not quite what Uber Air had in mind.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:27 am

A fairly large percentage of car enthusiasts. Loud noises are obnoxious and generally undesirable. However people who have grown up with motor vehicles have emotional association with it. It embodies power and speed and freedom. It is hard to change that.

Sort of like growing up with your favourite music. Sound can capture so many feelings and emotions.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Um, me 8) :D :P :wink:
I'll send the local Harley motorbike crowd to go backwards and forwards past your house at all times of the night, doing burnouts and making as much noise as possible until you cannot take it anymore.

I hate noisy cars and motorbikes.
human909 wrote:
A fairly large percentage of car enthusiasts. Loud noises are obnoxious and generally undesirable. However people who have grown up with motor vehicles have emotional association with it. It embodies power and speed and freedom. It is hard to change that.

Sort of like growing up with your favourite music. Sound can capture so many feelings and emotions.
And I grew up around motor vehicles and particularly ones with eight cylinder engines. They were not excessively noisy.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

g-boaf wrote:
And I grew up around motor vehicles and particularly ones with eight cylinder engines. They were not excessively noisy.
I like car noises. I don’t feel the need to share the noise with others, but sometimes it is good to hear those eight cylinder engines working hard. Some noise is good.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Someone who lives about 100m up the road from me has a fairly expensive looking sports car, and when he arrives at home, he revs the engine loudly and for several minutes, before finally turning it off. I never knew parking a car was so bloody complicated. :roll:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'll send the local Harley motorbike crowd to go backwards and forwards past your house at all times of the night, doing burnouts and making as much noise as possible until you cannot take it anymore.
Too much time in noisy race cars has made me deaf (Jack Brabham Syndrome) :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Someone who lives about 100m up the road from me has a fairly expensive looking sports car, and when he arrives at home, he revs the engine loudly and for several minutes, before finally turning it off. I never knew parking a car was so bloody complicated. :roll:
he's an idiot. people think if you rev it like that, it will pump oil up into the top of the engine where it will be ready to keep everything lubed when it's started again later, and cold. whether or not that actually, works it's unnecessary with today's engines that are constructed with metals and filled with oil that don't wear like old ones. old mate likely has no idea and just thinks it shows his love of his special car.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:34 pm

jules21 wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:Someone who lives about 100m up the road from me has a fairly expensive looking sports car, and when he arrives at home, he revs the engine loudly and for several minutes, before finally turning it off. I never knew parking a car was so bloody complicated. :roll:
he's an idiot. people think if you rev it like that, it will pump oil up into the top of the engine where it will be ready to keep everything lubed when it's started again later, and cold. whether or not that actually, works it's unnecessary with today's engines that are constructed with metals and filled with oil that don't wear like old ones. old mate likely has no idea and just thinks it shows his love of his special car.
Sounds to me like just showing off. That's why I like cars such as the Porsche 918 or the McLaren P1, they have silent electric modes so you can get around without making any noise.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 pm

WOW, not mentioned but Ice maybe? He would have been killed if not for the 2 guys coming to his aid. :shock:
5 kmph, is less than the accuracy of many, possible even most speedos. My Kia is out by 7 or 8. :roll:
Hope the Dad recover and gets past it OK.

Ken

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm

kenwstr wrote:
WOW, not mentioned but Ice maybe? He would have been killed if not for the 2 guys coming to his aid. :shock:
5 kmph, is less than the accuracy of many, possible even most speedos. My Kia is out by 7 or 8. :roll:

Ken
Registration didn't save him. Hope they arrest them

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 pm

kenwstr wrote:

Ken
This is the sort of situation where I really wish that the courts could simply find a driver to be psychologically unfit to drive a motor vehicle. Seriously this should happen, but I don't think it ever does. I'm not taking about just a license suspension either, I'm talking about significant hoops that the driver should have to go through to prove that they are (psychologically) fit to drive before they can even apply to get their license back.