I think I just bought my last ever Avanti bike....

sam2095

I think I just bought my last ever Avanti bike....

Postby sam2095 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

I have been riding Avanti for about a decade now and have been happy overall - I don't have a huge budget

My son and I bought Avanti Giro AR 1 and AR 2 bikes last year (2017 models). He broke his derailleur hanger last weekend - sh*t happens.... Took it to my tried and trusted mechanic who told me a generic one doesn't fit - no problems I thought - unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Our local dealer (they guy I bought it from) does not have the part in stock so he phoned the importer / warehouse and was told that we'd have to wait about four weeks for the part to come into the country.

My mechanic tells me that it's a part that's designed to be a weak point so as to save the derailleur / frame - good idea. If that's true, I would've thought they'd have stock at the warehouse - especially as the bike is advertised as a "gravel bike".

I've now phoned three other stores and the same story - nothing in stock.

I can't fault the stores - they can't keep every part in stock I get that, but a warehouse that does not have a part for an 18 month old bike.... not much customer focus there as far as I can see.

Apparently all three stores have phoned the warehouse on my behalf (to confirm the part number just in case the one on the 2018 model matches - it does not). You'd think the warehouse might offer to phone around but alas no.... you just have to wait a month mate.... sigh...

Looks like I might try one of the bigger brands when I upgrade. Are they all this slack?

madmacca

Re: I think I just bought my last ever Avanti bike....

Postby madmacca » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm

derailleurhanger.com ???

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Derailleur hangers are a weird part - there are so many different forms so it is not uncommon to have to track down the right one. Of course, for new and recent model bikes, the hangers should be more accessible.

For a recent model Avanti, I would not expect such difficulty but if the bike is fairly generic - it is made overseas and badged up with Avanti stickers and the hanger used is essentially a unknown that may not be exchangeable with any other Avanti models.

The hanger should be a $15 - $20 part and in this case, the onus really should be on the retailer and brand however you may want to look at some of the small online stores that sell mountains of different hangers and see if you can spot the model. Some hangers are used on various brands so many be more readily available online or using the 'alternative' part number from the other brand. Keep in mind, the hanger still has to be exactly the right one so use the damaged one as a reference to identify all of the details and confirm it is identical if you go down this route.
Cycling is in my BNA

sam2095

Postby sam2095 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 pm

@madmacca - thanks - they have Avanti but not the correct model - also there is an issue in that this year's model does not use the same as last year's. I have the derailleur and will look at the pics but, as noted by AUBicycles, near enough may not be good enough.

@AUBicycles - thanks for the additional info. BTW they want $39 for the part...

Any Avanti stockist looking in - make a name for yourself if you have part number 268902 :) Thanks all.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm

$39 for this product is not a fair retail price... you should ask if it will make the bike faster.

They are fairly easy to replace so continue fishing through the derailleur hanger websites and see if you can spot it.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Wheels manufacturing is a great place to look. Apart from anything else they allow you to filter by bike manufacturer, eg Avanti

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm

You could swim to China to pick one up in that time!!! A small part like that will cost them next to nothing in shipping (compared to lost brand loyalty). I don’t see why you shouldn’t have one in not much more than a week. :\

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Yet more evidence the distributor model of business in Australia is broken.

Not only do you get to pay a premium for the part, you get it very slowly. Are you sure somewhere online doesn't have it?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 pm

DavidS wrote:Yet more evidence the distributor model of business in Australia is broken.
While I have certain sympathy for importers who have to get their product through .au standards compliance or those who actually have local stock holdings, my experience can be summarised with the anecdote below.

Once, several decades ago, I was part of a team designing and manufacturing electronics equipment. We'd got some sample chips free from the m'ftrers office in Singapore. FedEx'd in under 24 hours. But for the first production run we needed to buy a larger quantity and pretty urgently. S'pore had the parts in stock and provided prices but noted they couldn't sell to us. Had to go through the official Australia agent.

Phone call to the Agent in Sydney
Agent: "Hello",
Me: "Hi, can you give a P&A for XX's part # YYYY?",
Agent: "XX? '
Me: "Yes, XX. They're a chip manufacturer in the US. You're their Australian agent."
Agent: "Oh. I see. What was the part again?"
Me: "YYYY. I need N of them. And we need them in a hurry"
Agent: "Ah, I see. Umm, aaaah, I don't think we'd have any. "
Me: "There's plenty of stock in Singapore. Ask for Harry. "
Agent: "Ok, let me get back to you"

A week later we get a quote. For more than twice the landed .sg price. And with a lead time of four weeks.

Seems nothing has changed.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 pm

This is one of the reasons I love Giant, and my Defy... parts a plenty.

Sourcing anything is simple and cost effective.

Also the Giant bikes are priced about the same as Avanti

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 am

Unfortunately buying new bikes is not a common experience for most of us. Being a MTB rider, busting hangers is common. Getting a spare hanger is part of the new purchase procedure, and checking there is replacements for the all to common/uncommon bottom bracket. Which reminds me I don't have spare hanger for my roadie, time to check those generic sites!
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am

You could try a universal one temporally til you find the right one if down time is an issue and then you can keep it for future emergency use.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 am

Post a pic of it, someone will be able to find one.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Usernoname wrote:Unfortunately buying new bikes is not a common experience for most of us. Being a MTB rider, busting hangers is common. Getting a spare hanger is part of the new purchase procedure, and checking there is replacements for the all to common/uncommon bottom bracket. Which reminds me I don't have spare hanger for my roadie, time to check those generic sites!
I have a beautiful vintage Turner frame hanging in my shed because I can't for the life of me find a replacement for the broken hanger.

Like you, I always make sure there are spare hangers available for whatever bike I am interested in buying and I buy a couple of spares - some headsets can be a pain to replace as well.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:This is one of the reasons I love Giant, and my Defy... parts a plenty.

Well... for my latest derailleur hanger I had no luck getting an original brand replacement from a bike shop or the national office. The bike shop was great - it was independent so you could order Giants but it was not exclusive. They ordered the part I needed from another brand at a very fair price ($15). They were friendly, has about the same price as online so was happy to add in a bit of travel time and get it from the bike shop.

Bt in your defence Defy, if the original part is not available - there are plenty of non-brand parts - at least for the hanger.
Cycling is in my BNA

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:This is one of the reasons I love Giant, and my Defy... parts a plenty.

Well... for my latest derailleur hanger I had no luck getting an original brand replacement from a bike shop or the national office. The bike shop was great - it was independent so you could order Giants but it was not exclusive. They ordered the part I needed from another brand at a very fair price ($15). They were friendly, has about the same price as online so was happy to add in a bit of travel time and get it from the bike shop.

Bt in your defence Defy, if the original part is not available - there are plenty of non-brand parts - at least for the hanger.
Agree,

I have 2 aftermarket derailleur hangers in my shed because I bent two others so now I keep a spare or two.

But what I mean is that the giant hangers are quite common and easily ordered and also manufactured by aftermarket companies which is why I like Giant bikes...

:)

sam2095

Postby sam2095 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 am

Hi - tried to show images but failed. I've put them on Google drive here if anyone's in the market for selling derailleur hangers....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxxkK ... EwSHF0RUhB
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxxkK ... lzMFQtTklJ

PS. http://derailleurhanger.com could not find a match :(

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm

The third-party suppliers don't have every hanger. I've had bikes through the workshop, including but not only Avanti where the usual alternatives haven't had the hanger in their range. In one extreme example we even commissioned a custom-made hanger because even the manufacturer no longer had that type.
Last edited by Duck! on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Got a chap going again in last PAP who had broken a hangar.
Found one among my junk that was near right and modified it with a Dremel tool. Looked OK and did the job.
Probably could have got one at shop but late at night and all closed.
Just a thought that you could do something similar to get you by while waiting.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Did you end up ordering one?

I’ve got the same bike AR1, maybe I should order one as a spare.

sam2095

Postby sam2095 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am

Still no luck I'm afraid. I just phoned the distributor (who was, to his credit, very apologetic and handled a very grumpy old man well) and he advised the part should arrive in the country on 21st of this month. NZ also do not have the part.

Bloody ridiculous....

My son is pretty handy with a dremel so I may give that a go....

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

This looks like it but....

https://www.bicyclestore.com.au/parts/d ... leigh.html

.....look at the ridiculous price. Good luck with getting a replacement asap

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 am

Wheels Manufacturing Dropout-58 Derailleur Hanger. Free Shipping
AU $53.95

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wheels-Manu ... itleDesc=0