E-Bike whats you riding and love?

IamGroot

E-Bike whats you riding and love?

Postby IamGroot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 am

Last November I was knocked off me MB in a hit and run and have healed well that is except for the 2 knees that smashed into the concrete path.
Now with the Cortisone in each knee on the flat roads and paths theirs no problem but coming up the hills on the flatbar with the Croozer in tow its a struggle.

I'm looking for an e-bike that I don't have to stand on the pedal and throw the leg over and even considering a step through or over.

What are you guys/gals riding that's well made, well serviced and do enjoy.

I do like the look of those vintage motor cycle like a likes and the 20'' wheeled city commuters, like the Micheal Blast Greaser, Vallakree Drifter, Benno Boost but think the Benno isn't available in Australia and the Orbea Kate E-20.

One problem theirs no e-bike stores for a thousand ks so it looks like I'll need to take a flight to Brisbane and Bryon Bay to see if the riding and pedaling positions are good for a 6 foot guy.

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by IamGroot on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tequestra

Re: E-Bike whats you riding and love?

Postby Tequestra » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm

IamGroot wrote:What are you guys/gals riding that's well made, well serviced and do enjoy.
... good for a 6 foot guy.
If I could begin by answering your first query, three bikes, home made, depends, most of the time. None of them would suit a frame your size. 5'9" is probably the biggest who'd fit on either of the two 26", the blue Tequestra the Tequesta - 48v 1,000w, or the black Giant, 36v 250w. The third is a 24" Apollo 24v 500w which is too small for my 5'8". You'll want a taller frame, and long is good for electric.

250w is currently the legal maximum unless you want to emigrate to Shenzen Province or some capitalist land of the free like that. With 36v on my old legs and weak lungs, 250w is just acceptable up the steepest hill I usually have to ride. I can keep over 25km/h after a few months' weekly practice, and not feel any unhealthy kind of pain.

There is probably quite good sense in 250w for commuting in the city, considering the test ride I did at Christmas on the 48v 1,000w Tequestra the Tequesta. It was not enjoyable from an old man's frame of reference. Thrilling yes, Merry Christmas!

Safe and comfortable over potholes without suspension at 60km/h? Most definitely not. Not meaning to brag but half the adults who tried a 48v 1000w bike with a 19x700C front wheel and no suspension would come unstuck in the first month, admittedly probably myself included. That is why Tequestra the Tequesta is now off the road until I can source a new frame with tough tyres and proper suspension, and probably take it over the pits before I take my chances in Perth.

I hope that one day it is affordable to register 48v 1,000w electrics as green-friendly half-price rego' mopeds, since 'mo' stands for 'motor' and electric motors are not also 'engines' like those noisy, smelly 2-stroke monstrosities. DIY is important for some enthusiast's budgets, but I would stress that, along with the usual 12v lights, indicators, horn, they must also have a 'mountain-bike' kind of frame with full suspension and disc brakes. Otherwise, without suspension, their life-expectancy would be in the weeks or months, not years.

36v 250w power-assistance seems to be cruisy enough to work fine with front suspension but unsprung rear in my last six or seven months casual commuting encounters. I'm tempted to mention AliExpress if you're a long way out of the city, but it could be bad advice if you don't have the time for a fair bit of trial and error and a lot of research. Don't forget the horns! 48-12v convertors are easy to wire in.

PS: Incidentally, Tequestra's 48v 1,000w rear hub motor is exactly the same size and weight as Apollo's 24v 500w model. They are identical to look upon. This tells me that a switch on the handlebars running to relays shunting the 4 x 12v sections of a 48v battery, (series=48v offroad, parallel=12v long range), you could detune a 48v 1,000w to a road-legal 12v 250w system that would operate slightly less responsively than one of the small 36v 250w motors on the market (usually silver), but they'd probably wear a lot more gracefully, and you've always got the switch if you want to ride offroad ... maybe it would be too tempting to too many hooligans, admittedly myself included.

Of course, it would need two controllers, 48v & 12v, but they could easily build both into the same box up in Shenzen if you ask nicely, and the legal question could be answered with a built-in flashing light that turns on when the switch is on 48v mode.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks for all the information, much appreciated. I'd be interested in a 500w version as we both tow a dog trailer and our riding on the road days are over and done with (crazy motorcyclists). Google imaged the ones you suggested and very interesting, may I ask which e-bike you are riding now.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am

500W is illegal in every part of Australia as far as I'm aware unless riding on private property or offroad. I know you're looking for towing power not top end speed, but if there's ever an accident and your bike comes up as overpowered it cold cause problems for you.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

IamGroot wrote:I'd be interested in a 500w version as we both tow a dog trailer and our riding on the road days are over and done with (crazy motorcyclists). Google imaged the ones you suggested and very interesting, may I ask which e-bike you are riding now.
A 24v 500w motor would be 250w if you used the same motor with a 12V controller. You could have switchable handlebar roadside convenience! I only use the 250w 36v Giant for commuting. The Innovation Nation is more of a want than a need, without other peoples' money.

It is not feasible IMHO to try to compare different causes of physical pain at the same activity, so do not think that I am trying to make out that I know anything about anyone else's health besides my own, but the 250w would have been nicer if it had been 500w of power assistance last year, in the three months or so from sedentary fitness and chronic illness to somewhat improved cardiovascular fitness between mid-September and Christmas. That was when I finally got Tequestra fitted out with the lights, (12v brake-lights using 48v brake-light switches are a little tricky to get right). All R&D has been stopped since them, so there has been nothing exciting since then.

What has changed since Christmas is my fitness, and It really doesn't seem to me to be grievously painful anymore riding up hills flat out on main roads in peak hour traffic (around 25-35km/h) like it felt in the legs, chest and dizzy head trying to keep up with the flow last year with only 250w. I do not meen keeping up with traffic itself, but keeping up enough pace to not be mocked and insulted by entering or leaving traffic, parking etc. It is not as stressful now I am fitter with 250w. Having that assistance uphills and in dangerous places has been as great help in my return to cycling as an alternative to burning diesel.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!