Saronni query

fateddy

Saronni query

Postby fateddy » Thu May 10, 2018 2:22 pm

In 1989 I purchased a frame from Spokesman Cycles in Canberra. I bought it to replace a Jim Bundy frame as the angle and measurements were exactly what I had previously had custom built. It was decalled as a Saronni and built out of Columbus 'Tretubi' fluted steel tubing. The paintjob was a tri-colour red, white and blue and the front and rear forks were chromed. I bought a Campagnolo Triomphe groupset and built some singles wheels. During the 29 years I have had it, I stripped the paint to have it redone and found out that the entire frame was chrome-plated underneath. I left it like that as it looked great. My question is were these Saronnis related to the Colnago ones or were they just a 'badge job'? It's been a wonderful bike which I far prefer over my Pinarello carbon fibre road bike.

P!N20

Re: Saronni query

Postby P!N20 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm

There's some info on bikeforums.net:

Early on, Saronnis were made with high end Columbus SL tubing and painted in bold colours. They were adorned with Campagnolo Nuovo Record groupsets. Later, the standards dropped. The Columbus SL tubesets were replaced with Tretubi ones; the paint finish was rarely perfect; and the stickers were often placed off-centre. In fact, most Saronnis needed repainting within a few years of leaving the factory. Few Saronnis still have the original stickers they started life with. Fewer still have the headtube sticker with Beppen Saronni's face smiling down on us mere mortal cyclists...

It was clear that the later models were being produced to a certain price, without the meticulous quality control of the Colnagos that were coming out of the same factory. However, in spite of this, (or perhaps even because of this) a good condition Saronni is indeed a collector's item.

The design of the sticker set changed a couple of times over its life. The Colnago logos gradually got smaller and smaller, until eventually, Colnago gave up on the sub-brand and stopped making them. About 4 years after Colnago had introduced the brand, a new manufacturer - Tecnotrat - was making the frames. They were still badged Saronni, but the Colnago connection was gone. Tecnotrat evolved into De Bernardi frames, who briefly went out of business a year or two ago, but are now back making track frames a-plenty.

From here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... bikes.html

As with all internet forums, take with one (1) grain of salt.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks PIN20, great research yet again. I always thought the Saronni's I have come across had poorly executed paint jobs. That does exclude the new Saronni frames I have seen in bikeshops of years gone by. Some of them did look quite flashy brand new. It didn't take long before the poor paint preparation started to take control. Such a shame as the Columbus SL and Tretubi tubesets were pretty OK stuff. These frames started out honouring a very valued Colnago rider and it started to look like a 'backhanded complement' when a noticeable number of the frames didn't seem to stand up to the riggers of time.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Do you have any images of the Saronni? There were certainly ones built by Colnago, and others built by Tecnotrat.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Saronni track bike for sale if you have deep pockets: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seddon/ ... 1189463524

27" wheels? Doubt it. Did track bikes ever have 27" wheels?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 pm

P!N20 wrote:Saronni track bike for sale if you have deep pockets: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seddon/ ... 1189463524

27" wheels? Doubt it. Did track bikes ever have 27" wheels?
..and the wording "Suspect Colnago Saronni..." doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 pm

I've always been under the impression that the Saronnis road bikes built by Colnago, as with all colnagos had only two cable guides on the top tube.As Ernsto always beleaved two cable guides was enough. Tecnotrat had three.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:03 pm

The one on Gumtree looks like a Colnago built one. But certainly is quite expensive for an Aelle frame. But if anyone is after one, I've got a frame that I wanna sell for less than a tenth that price.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes