Dealer won't swap groupset on Trek bike prior to sale.

booge

Dealer won't swap groupset on Trek bike prior to sale.

Postby booge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am

Recently was enquiring in store about the new Trek ALR 5 disc, comes standard with 105 disc with no ultegra version released in Australia. I've asked if they would swap the groupset to Ultegra and pay the difference(between 105 and Ultegra) but they won't do it. Would have to pay for Ultegra groupset on top of the 105 bike price. Is this normal? Seems unfair. Those from bike shops on here might be able to enlighten me.

MichaelB

Re: Dealer won't swap groupset on Trek bike prior to sale.

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 am

I bet it’s because then they have a used 105 groupset that they have to sell, and they don’t want to do this.

Hence buying the groupset over and above.

Won’t make any difference to your riding, so don’t bother.

My 5c

booge

Postby booge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 am

I'm a groupset snob though! And trying to drop the bike weight a bit too.

march83

Postby march83 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:22 am

They have no obligation to do it so fair enough, but they obviously don't care to keep you as a customer. Try a different shop or buy a different brand.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Not to mention the workshop time, which could be used on servicing/repairs, the lower margin on the bike sale as opposed to the workshop time, or the extra bike they may have had to order to get the other groupset, or the extra OE groupset they now have to work out how they going to shift.

There's a bit to it than just swapping parts.

IF you had a long term relationship with that particular shop, then you may have a case to be slightly put out.
MichaelB wrote:Won’t make any difference to your riding, so don’t bother.

My 5c
I agree

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:20 pm

If you think it’s unfair ask another shop.

But from what I can see, your expectation is that the difference should be the (say) wiggle price difference between ulteg and 105. Whereas they have to buy the ultegra at wholesale au price, add a markup, remove the entire group set, install the new one, tune it up, then somehow sell off a not-brand-new 105 groupset at probably half the original price.

So I can understand their position.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Id try a different store if possible. Im guessing its 5800 rather than 7000 which is maybe the problem, even if they get another frame to put it on plus wheels and labour, it will be hard to make money on a bike with a groupset competitor shops will be dropping in price to move on.

booge

Postby booge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I would never make any whinge about it in store, the shop is just selling the bikes....and i don't really begrudge them. It's frustrating that in Australia Trek don't even sell the ALR Emondas as a frameset either.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm

MattyK wrote:they have to buy the ultegra at wholesale au price, add a markup, remove the entire group set, install the new one, tune it up, then somehow sell off a not-brand-new 105 groupset at probably half the original price.
I agree. The OP might be better off just buying the desired groupset from Wiggle (or wherever) and then ask the bike shop nicely if they’ll install it cheaply as part of the bike purchase. As a bonus, you then have a complete 105 groupset as spare parts and/or for later on when the new bike has been relegated to secondary bike duties.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:44 pm

MattyK wrote:If you think it’s unfair ask another shop.

But from what I can see, your expectation is that the difference should be the (say) wiggle price difference between ulteg and 105. Whereas they have to buy the ultegra at wholesale au price, add a markup, remove the entire group set, install the new one, tune it up, then somehow sell off a not-brand-new 105 groupset at probably half the original price.

So I can understand their position.
not quite, the op would have a spare 105 groupset to take home too.

i also ran into this "problem". When I was buying my bike, I asked Giant to swap out the 36/52 to a 34/50 (this was just chain rings) they said they wouldn't do it. They could order the 34/50 rings and put them on, but I would be taking home with me the replaced rings too.

I also didnt want their wheels ( I had my own ) they wouldn't give me any money back on those either.

not much the OP can do, unfair/fair not really worth arguing with the about, they either do it or not.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Not sure how you think they HAVE to do it. You buy what they offer, or exercise your consumer right to shop elsewhere.....
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Just buy a Canyon Endurace AL disc 8.0

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/endur ... c-8-0.html

booge

Postby booge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

macca33 wrote:Not sure how you think they HAVE to do it. You buy what they offer, or exercise your consumer right to shop elsewhere.....
Before this goes off topic about the original post, i never said i think they have to do it, I'm disappointed the option isn't there which seems unfair. They're talking up a premium alloy frame and they best spec is 105. Whether that's the manufacturer being restrictive or other factors I'm not aware of. I was putting it out there for others more aware of the bike retail industry limitations who may be able to enlighten me.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I think if you had an ultegra groupset (on another bike or new you bought, or new you bought through them) and they wouldn't swap it (as in you took home the 105 in bits) then I'd say find another store.
But to just expect them to upgrade the spec of the bike for the difference in groupset price, youv'e got no chance, unless you were really pally with the store.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Upon further investigation there appears to be very few bike brands doing alu frames with Ultegra disc. Pre Ultegra 8000 the only difference is cranks, cassette, chain and deraileurs. Not sure exactly what the OP has asked for, did you offer to pay labour? Were you happy with 6800 parts or want a full 8000 groupo which is basically a rebuild. If I ran bike shop I dont think I'd be giving away $3-400 worth of labour just to sell a bike.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm

And if the parts werent labelled 105 or Ultegra and had been built well I doubt anybody could tell the difference performance wise.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 pm

booge wrote:
macca33 wrote:Not sure how you think they HAVE to do it. You buy what they offer, or exercise your consumer right to shop elsewhere.....
Before this goes off topic about the original post, i never said i think they have to do it, I'm disappointed the option isn't there which seems unfair.
I don't see how you think fairness even comes into it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

eeksll wrote:
i also ran into this "problem". When I was buying my bike, I asked Giant to swap out the 36/52 to a 34/50 (this was just chain rings) they said they wouldn't do it. They could order the 34/50 rings and put them on, but I would be taking home with me the replaced rings too.
That's interesting, two stores I looked at said they'd happily swap 52/36 for 50/34 before the bike left the shop, no charge, as they'd simply put the mid-compact onto something else. I even got the offer to do so on a Dura-Ace bike. But only before it left the shop.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Put yourself in their position. To seal the deal you have to buy an Ultegra groupset at cost from shimano, swap it over at your own labour cost, then dispose of the 105 group set. The customer is offering around 300 bucks (based on Wiggle prices....the difference on shimano supplies is probably close as a percentage higher as a dollar figure). When sold the groupset isn’t worth any more than what? 350-400? (Wiggle new 665). Add in labour to swap and you’re barely breaking even if that. Then they have to wear the warranty as the bike is no longer “as supplied by Trek”. Why would you bother?

Oh shiz....I just realised the bike is disc. Even worse.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am

I think it's unfair that there is an expectation for what booge has asked for. No probs in asking, and some shops may do a deal of sorts under 'customer service' - that's what differentiates between a good shop and one that just sells bikes.

As an aside, a mate recently bought a Focus from an Adelaide shop but wanted 180mm cranks. He paid for the upgrade to the DA cranks as that length isn't in Ultegra. They allowed him to ride the bike as is until the cranks came in at no cost. 3 months later when they finally came in, swapped them over without an issue.

Maybe booge needs to come to a decent shop in Adelaide :D

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Mububban wrote:
eeksll wrote:
That's interesting, two stores I looked at said they'd happily swap 52/36 for 50/34 before the bike left the shop, no charge, as they'd simply put the mid-compact onto something else. I even got the offer to do so on a Dura-Ace bike. But only before it left the shop.
If you’re buying high end Dura Ace bikes, then as % of transaction, you’re not asking much to swap just chainrings.

Full groupo swap on a 105 Alu bike (inc labour) is like doubling the price.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Mububban wrote:
eeksll wrote:
If you’re buying high end Dura Ace bikes, then as % of transaction, you’re not asking much to swap just chainrings.

Full groupo swap on a 105 Alu bike (inc labour) is like doubling the price.
The bike I was looking at was in the < 3k range so certainly not some high end bike, having said that, I kinda did expect to have the chainrings swapped over for free ... but we didn't even get to that stage (maybe it was a "no" cause he already read that in my question?).
edit: it wasnt a No, it was a we will get back to you on price, and they never did.

Well, I went and bought my bike from another store who was willing to do the extra service and give me prices on upgrades, which I did pay for.

full groupset swap could certainly come at a too high of a cost and the LBS might just say no, rather than quote some figure they think the customer will not pay.

thecraig

Postby thecraig » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm

booge wrote:Recently was enquiring in store about the new Trek ALR 5 disc, comes standard with 105 disc with no ultegra version released in Australia. I've asked if they would swap the groupset to Ultegra and pay the difference(between 105 and Ultegra) but they won't do it. Would have to pay for Ultegra groupset on top of the 105 bike price. Is this normal? Seems unfair. Those from bike shops on here might be able to enlighten me.
Slightly off topic - I was told the arrival date for the Emonda ALR5 disc was mid October - did you get the same timeframe?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:36 pm

I would also suggest trying a different shop. Last year I was in the market for a new mountain bike and liked the 2018 Giant Anthem 29er. However, for me, being a 1x was a deal breaker. The first shop said the bike couldn't be converted to 2x. The next shop not only said it could be done but immediately looked up the pricing of components and quoted me $100 to add the front mech, 2 new chain rings and change the rear cassette to have a smaller big cog plus install it all. I signed on the spot.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Sharkey wrote:I would also suggest trying a different shop. Last year I was in the market for a new mountain bike and liked the 2018 Giant Anthem 29er. However, for me, being a 1x was a deal breaker. The first shop said the bike couldn't be converted to 2x. The next shop not only said it could be done but immediately looked up the pricing of components and quoted me $100 to add the front mech, 2 new chain rings and change the rear cassette to have a smaller big cog plus install it all. I signed on the spot.
When I was looking for a road/commuting bike, I popped into a LBS and was told, rather arrogantly, that there was no such thing as a "gravel bike" and that I must have misunderstood what someone else was talking about.
I've not been back to that store since.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!