2018 Cycling Fatalities

Scintilla

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Scintilla » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:06 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
madmacca wrote: It is good news, although based on recent form, the Victorian prosecutor will fall for whatever sob story this cyclist-killing #$%^wit can conjure up.
I suspect because they'll come down hard on him, because he's "a criminal", rather than a respectable young woman who teaches horse riding.
Currently charges are 'culpable driving causing death', 'failing to stop at the scene of a collision', 'failing to render assistance at an accident', as well as 'dealing with the proceeds of crime'.

He is in the poo-house, up for a longish stretch; possibly something akin to the killer of Gordon Ibbs, that Azzopardi scum.
Last edited by Scintilla on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Scintilla wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
madmacca wrote: It is good news, although based on recent form, the Victorian prosecutor will fall for whatever sob story this cyclist-killing #$%^wit can conjure up.
I suspect because they'll come down hard on him, because he's "a criminal", rather than a respectable young woman who teaches horse riding.
Currently charges are 'culpable driving causing death', 'failing to stop at the scene of a collision', 'failing to render assistance at an accident', as well as 'dealing with the proceeds of crime'.

He is in the poo-house, up for a longish stretch; possibly something akin to the killer of Gordon Ibbs, that Greek Azzopardi scum.
"Greek Azzopardi". Could you elaborate?

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Killer of Gordon Ibbs was a certain Australian who goes by the surname Azzopardi. I barely even want to utter this piece of pond-slime's name. Search for his background - he is pretty detestable, and happily will be in for a pretty long stretch on account of the multiple offences, and that the DPP is (I believe) pressing for sentences to be served consecutively.

[edited]

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am

Maltese actually

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 am

Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 4zj84.html
It is with sadness that I need to let club members know that this news has been received from Western Australia.

Audax Australia has been informed that a rider has died at approximately 11:30 am on Sunday near Binningup while participating in a club ride.

I have on behalf of the club offered the regional president, the ride organiser and the family any support it is possible for us to provide.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the rider's family and friends at this sad time.

Audax Australia representatives will cooperate fully with the relevant authorities in Western Australia as this tragic event is investigated.

Garry Wall,

President

Audax Australia Cycling Club
and a more personal message from the WA Audax Club ...
Hello Fellow Audax members,

It is with great sadness, that I inform you that the cyclist who was killed on the Forrest Highway on Sunday 3rd of June was indeed a WA Audax member. Shiva was a recent Audax WA member but an experienced rider, from India. He was very excited to be completing his first 600km ride in Australia after having just completed his first 300km ride here. There are no details as to how this accident occurred and we will have to await a coroners report in two to three months.

I am unsure of any funeral details at this stage. Shiva's family are Hindu and at this stage keen to return Shiva to India for a funeral service, with family and friends.

I did have the pleasure of spending Saturday and fortunately Sunday with Shiva's wife Ajay and 7 year old son ‘Vee’, during the course of doing support for this ride. I spent several hours with Ajay at Bunbury Hospital after the news of the accident. I have passed on condolences on behalf of Audax and its members at this very traumatic time.

I am sure you will keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards
Charges have been laid against the driver over this incident:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/sw- ... b88932970z

P!N20

Re: 2018-08-12 Cyclist dies in hit-run in inner Melbourne

Postby P!N20 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Thoglette wrote:ABC reporting a cyclist was killed by a person driving a white (possibly stolen) Mercedes. Driver fled on foot. This reportedly occurred on Chapel St between Ellis Street and Malvern Road

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-12/c ... e/10111222

[update 13 Aug]
Victim was a 27 yo Dutch woman
Melbourne hit-and-run: Dutch woman identified as victim as suspect still at large
There is a memorial ride planned for Tuesday 28th August: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... uth-yarra/

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am

A 19 year old cyclist has been killed at St Mary's. Rest in peace.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 am

biker jk wrote:A 19 year old cyclist has been killed at St Mary's. Rest in peace.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D
Terrible. A photo of the car, but no more detail, is here: https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 1d32a49236 .

Also, from the above article and from https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D, a cyclist in Parramatta has died, though it's unclear what happened:
NSW police wrote: Emergency services were called to Trott Street, Parramatta, about 6.15pm on Thursday 16 August 2018, after the 64-year-old man was found unconscious on the roadside.
Officers located the man’s bicycle in Trott Street, however, there was no evidence of damage to the bike or a crash scene.

Sadly, the man passed away yesterday afternoon.

Initial information suggests it is possible the man was cycling in Parramatta Park prior to the incident.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am

Terrible to hear of St.Mary's accident.
I knew the area as I grew up in Griffiths street St.Mary's from mid '70's to late '80's.

It's a 60kph road and from the look of the damage to the bonnet of the SUV. Driver might have exceed the speed limit.

It was a well known speeding road.

R.I.P to rider.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Terrible to hear of St.Mary's accident.
I knew the area as I grew up in Griffiths street St.Mary's from mid '70's to late '80's.

It's a 60kph road and from the look of the damage to the bonnet of the SUV. Driver might have exceed the speed limit.

R.I.P to rider.
Someone on Facebook (NSW police page) said it occurred "out front of the Chinese restaurant", which would mean on the northbound side of Forrester Road. The southbound side at least has a parking zone which can double as a second class cycling lane, but the northbound side is just 2 lanes with no bike lane or anything.

There's a perfectly good footpath though, and not a single pedestrian on it in Google Street View. This is the sort of situation where allowing footpath cycling can save lives.

It's always worse when it's someone so young :(

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Terrible to hear of St.Mary's accident.

R.I.P to rider.
Someone on Facebook (NSW police page) said it occurred "out front of the Chinese restaurant", which would mean on the northbound side of Forrester Road. The southbound side at least has a parking zone which can double as a second class cycling lane, but the northbound side is just 2 lanes with no bike lane or anything.

There's a perfectly good footpath though, and not a single pedestrian on it in Google Street View. This is the sort of situation where allowing footpath cycling can save lives.

It's always worse when it's someone so young :(
Yes, I know of this Chinese restaurant. And there's no footpath on that side but only on the other side.

I used to ride to Tregear from St.Mary's station to my father's place when he moved to there in '09 via Forrester Rd when I visited and helped him with chores.

There's no cycling path or lane been painted on this road.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: Someone on Facebook (NSW police page) said it occurred "out front of the Chinese restaurant", which would mean on the northbound side of Forrester Road.
Yes, I know of this Chinese restaurant. And there's no footpath on that side but only on the other side.
There is footpath on both sides, according to Google Street View (unless I've got completely the wrong place).

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:34 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
There is footpath on both sides, according to Google Street View (unless I've got completely the wrong place).
Sorry, Peter. When I rode in the past,I didn`t take notice of it while riding as I was concentrating of traffic.

Yes, there`s the footpath but it`s small for bikes as it`s for peds. And it`s not a Shared Use Path (SUP).
Old pic from google
ps, not many people use it a lot.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Sorry, Peter. When I rode in the past,I didn`t take notice of it while riding as I was concentrating of traffic.

Yes, there`s the footpath but it`s small for bikes as it`s for peds. And it`s not a Shared Use Path (SUP).
That's my point though: if footpath cycling was legal in NSW, then it would be an option for cyclists who don't feel they are safe on that road.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:22 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:

That's my point though: if footpath cycling was legal in NSW, then it would be an option for cyclists who don't feel they are safe on that road.
Personally, I'm against riding on the footpath (for an adult) irrespective of the law. But that's me. Don't know the area in question, but it doesn't change my view.

That said, if people want to ride on that road and don't 'feel safe' (I can understand that, the not feeling safe bit) then, as I do, they can choose to use different roads 95% of the time to avoid the issue.

We all have a choice.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm

@AP, Yes, you are correct.

Sometimes it feel unsafe to ride thru there when there's some trucks were driving past.

This is what I've been looking out for while riding in daytime.

But that accident happened at night. But I don't want to speculate about it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Personally, I'm against riding on the footpath (for an adult) irrespective of the law. But that's me. Don't know the area in question, but it doesn't change my view.

That said, if people want to ride on that road and don't 'feel safe' (I can understand that, the not feeling safe bit) then, as I do, they can choose to use different roads 95% of the time to avoid the issue.

We all have a choice.
I have a couple of sections on my commute home where it's the main arterial road heading north out of sydney for interstate freight. 3 lanes of 70km/h traffic heading uphill, 3 lanes wide with B-Doubles and commuter traffic. Anyone trying to ride that section in peak hour really has a death wish, but unfortunately there are zero alternatives. The bike lane off the motorway dumps you straight onto this traffic sewer and then vanishes, and the construction for the NorthConnex tunnel just makes it worse.
I have been riding the path in this 2km section for 8 years and have never been stopped. I reckon in that time I have encountered perhaps 1 pedestrian a month. The basic rule is don't ride like a dick and you'll be fine.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:31 am

Amanda Berry, the mother of the Madison Lyden, the young woman killed in Manhattan on August 10, has issued a statement criticising the prosecutor for not pressing charges against the Uber driver (Jose Peralta) who caused the crash.
“Four years ago, when District Attorney Cyrus Vance refused to prosecute the driver who killed Cooper Stock, he sent a message to all reckless drivers in Manhattan that deadly behaviour will not have any consequences under his watch,” Ms Berry and Ms Lerner said in a joint statement to the New York Post. “That absence of accountability has now taken another life.

“Madison Lyden was killed after a taxi driver veered into the bike lane she rode in on Central Park West, forcing her into traffic, and DA Vance has again refused to prosecute — even though the NYPD believed the driver committed a criminal act.

“DA Vance’s failure to prosecute reckless drivers is sheer cowardice, and as long as he continues to indulge such dangerous behaviour, pedestrians and cyclists will continue to die on Manhattan streets.”
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 5d91f3443a

EDIT: A spokesman for Vance said "The office determined that New York law does not provide criminal liability for drivers whose illegal standing contributes to a fatality in instances where no contact is made between the illegally standing vehicle and the victim,", (my emphasis)... but the Uber wasn't standing, it was moving; so either I'm missing something, or Vance is being deceptive.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Scott_C wrote:Cyclist killed in a collision with a truck on the Bass Highway near Somerset:
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/521 ... s-highway/
On the subject of cases disappearing without a trace, I thought I'd revisit the first one of this thread, which struck home to me because I was in Tasmania at the time. The cyclist's name was Adrian Cross. https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/52 ... way/?cs=87

Despite it looking a pretty clear cut case to me - the truck was at a T-junction and failed to give way to the cyclist - I can't find anything about a charge, more than 7 months later.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:07 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-16/m ... e/10252808

Charges seem to get laid very quickly when it's one of their own. Hmm. :roll:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:21 pm

From SMH today.
Cyclist killed in collision with truck in Sydney's inner west
A cyclist has died following a collision with a truck on a major road in Sydney's inner west.

Emergency services were called to Liverpool Road (Hume Highway) at Cosgrove Road in South Strathfield about 3.45pm on Wednesday afternoon.

A spokesman for NSW Ambulance said the man in his 50s "appears to have gone under the truck" which was "turning left onto the Hume Highway".

He was unconscious and not breathing when paramedics arrived, and declared deceased at the scene, the spokesman said.

The man is yet to be formally identified.

The uninjured male truck driver was taken to Canterbury Hospital for mandatory testing.

Police officers from Auburn Police Area Command have established a crime scene and are urging anyone with information to come forward.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Turning left from Cosgrove Rd onto the Hume Highway would be here.

Rest in peace brother

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 am

As usual we don’t know what the circumstances where and so can’t learn from them. Police apparently don’t do a full safety analysis, just look for someone at fault. Coroner probably won’t have all the facts and won’t make recommendations such as put in a bike lane or bike crossing lights, or comment on any lack of safe bicycle facilities on the highway.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Hard to know where to post this, not sure whether I feel anger or sadness.
RIP BianchiCam
Heartbreaking News: Cycling Safety Advocate Cameron Frewer Killed In Queensland
Read more at http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/ne ... XiJJAZ5.99

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Hard to know where to post this, not sure whether I feel anger or sadness.
RIP BianchiCam
Heartbreaking News: Cycling Safety Advocate Cameron Frewer Killed In Queensland
Read more at http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/ne ... XiJJAZ5.99
Thats terrible news......speachless....RIP Bianchicam