2018 Vuelta

vosadrian

Re: 2018 Vuelta

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:Agree the fb - now, just gotta get those Movistar guys off the podium.

Nairo hasn't been convincing and Piti just keeps hanging in ...
Go Yatesy!! This is just seeming eerily familiar to earlier this year. I hope he can hold it together now and achieve the goal of being competitive in the 3rd week.

I agree that it would be great to see some new blood take the Movistar position on the podium. I don't like the way Movistar operate, and I think Valverde has dragged Quintana a few rungs down the ladder since he started a few years ago. Having said that, I do dislike the way Valverde plays tactics and games, but I do respect his ability. It is amazing to see an all rounder performing at such a high level over a wide range or parcours and particularly at his age. He just seems to be able to win a lot of races... probably only bettered by Sagan in race winning versatility, but it is unlikely Sagan will ever be in the running for a Grand Tour.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm

vosadrian wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Agree the fb - now, just gotta get those Movistar guys off the podium.

Go Yatesy!! This is just seeming eerily familiar to earlier this year. I hope he can hold it together now and achieve the goal of being competitive in the 3rd week.

Think that Yatesy has learnt from the Giro and is being more conservative, but still plenty of riding to do.

Lotto NL I reckon will be the biggest threat, as Nairo & Piti can't quite decide who is going to be the leader and hence stuffing themselves both up. Then again, maybe they are both at their limit ?

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:
vosadrian wrote:

Think that Yatesy has learnt from the Giro and is being more conservative, but still plenty of riding to do.

Lotto NL I reckon will be the biggest threat, as Nairo & Piti can't quite decide who is going to be the leader and hence stuffing themselves both up. Then again, maybe they are both at their limit ?
I agree there are differences. He has not been as aggressive to this point as the Giro which I think was his downfall. It seemed like in the Giro he did a good TT and that was what broke him. Hopefully not the case here. I am sure he and OS have learned from that experience.

I think it would be great if Kruijswijk can keep the pressure on and move up further. I was barracking for him in the giro a couple years ago when he crashed into the snowbank. He is deserving of a great GT result.

But things are so often turned on their heads in the final week of a GT. The proven 3 week performers often prevail. I think we can put Quintana in that group. The time gaps are much less than what one mountain top finish with many fatigued riders can cause. I think there is still a lot to happen in this Vuelta!!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm having trouble with understanding the hate for Valverde and love for Yates. Didn't Yates fail a drug test for some sort of asthma meds? :lol: Matt White... "I too was involved in that strategy"....domestique for Herreras in the Vuelta......Neil "I thought it was vitamins" Stephens......

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm

fat and old wrote:I'm having trouble with understanding the hate for Valverde and love for Yates. Didn't Yates fail a drug test for some sort of asthma meds? :lol: Matt White... "I too was involved in that strategy"....domestique for Herreras in the Vuelta......Neil "I thought it was vitamins" Stephens......
I think it's the hair transplant with Valverde that prompts the hate. Besides, Simon Yates' doping was "unintentional". :lol:

Oh, and the Sheriff is no longer with MTS.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Mine has nothing to do with doping. You could knock out most of the peleton if prior doping history was the basis. They all claim it was accidental so who knows!!

Valverde is just a wiley old fox who knows all the tricks. It works in his favour tactically, but I have seen him pull some pretty low moves on other riders.... like refusing to take a turn claiming to have nothing left and then attacking a few minutes later. Did he do that to Pinot? I know it is savvy racing tactics, but others seem to be able to play the tactics more honourably. In the last few years Quintana seems a bit the same. Attacking a neutralised descent in the Giro comes to mind. Then they complain when another team won't do work for them?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am

Hmmm - dislike for Piti - known doper (somebody say Puerto ?) - and his denials and refusals and overall dishonesty. But, begrudgingly have to admit that he has class. His tactics - 1st class and makes the most of what he can do. I'm growing to support him like I did Clenbutador, as whilst he rides for himself (always despite the veneer of 'teamwork'), and admit he's a good racer.

Like for Yates - It's an Aussie team, and I think the his infraction is more believable that it was unintentional. Maybe we'll find out in 10 years after he retires and writes a book. But he's also a more likeable character, nothing like my favourite, Estaban :mrgreen: . Can't wait to see him back in action - maybe at the 2019 TdU ?

Back to the action - will look fwd to watching it tonight, but great results and Nairo's nailed ! But it could lead to interesting tactics on the last two mountain stages. Mas is a standout, but where's the normal scepticism that follows an outstanding performance ? Anyway, plan to watch St 20 live as much as I can !!!

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 am

fat and old wrote:I'm having trouble with understanding the hate for Valverde and love for Yates. Didn't Yates fail a drug test for some sort of asthma meds? :lol: Matt White... "I too was involved in that strategy"....domestique for Herreras in the Vuelta......Neil "I thought it was vitamins" Stephens......
Yates ban was more of an administrative error. Was something along the lines of something he had previously had a TUE for but somebody didn't lodge the paperwork to continue being able to use it.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am

Nairo is setting this up for a Froome, Giro like effort on Andorra. It's a shame Movistar are a basketcase.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:28 pm

& then there were 2 - will either crack on the last 2 mountain stages ? 3 riders in the hunt for a spot on the podium, but I can't see see any of them challenging for the win. Quintana seems to have lost that blistering acceleration.

F&O don't worry about your little mate - even dopers turn into a top blokes after death

Back on the interesting stuff, Woods deserved his stage win - was completely spent at the top - as per this video

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:59 pm

My little mate? Who are you...Bob Trimbole? :lol:

It’s hard to see Yates losing this tbh. Like MB I’m a Chavez fan so it sucks to see Yates cement his place as #1 in the team.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm

While Yates is looking good, this is the Vuelta and strange things have been known to happen - particularly when a Spanish rider is in second. Hopefully the neutral service will do their job properly if required and the Spanish riders that aren't on Moivistar will also remain "neutral".

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm

fat and old wrote:My little mate? Who are you...Bob Trimbole? :lol:

It’s hard to see Yates losing this tbh. Like MB I’m a Chavez fan so it sucks to see Yates cement his place as #1 in the team.
I have always associated it with Lionel Murphy although, much like you, he denied the attribution :D

It's hard not to like Chavez. I've been impressed with the new guard in Lopez (despite my strong dislike for Astana) & Mas

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:23 pm

fat and old wrote:It’s hard to see Yates losing this tbh. Like MB I’m a Chavez fan so it sucks to see Yates cement his place as #1 in the team.
Not hard at all - you can ask Cadel Evans about that. A puncture on those narrow roads and team car unable to support and there is his tour gone.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 pm

I'd imagine that Van Baarle is pretty ticked off with the Vuelta official causing his crash at the finish line having now been diagnosed with a fractured pelvis.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:
fat and old wrote:My little mate? Who are you...Bob Trimbole? :lol:

I have always associated it with Lionel Murphy although, much like you, he denied the attribution :D

It's hard not to like Chavez. I've been impressed with the new guard in Lopez (despite my strong dislike for Astana) & Mas
Yeah, I should have remembered old Lionel....I guess there’s an insight into our respective backgrounds :lol:

Problem with Astana riders is they (much like ex Sky men) never deliver once they move on. Nibali was already winning so doesn’t really count.....although that Giro comeback was pas normal :lol: Aru has been a basket case ever since leaving.

As for Vos’ Comments on Valverde....I’m sure Rui Costa has no issue with his style of riding :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 am

I watched the finish of the Stage Woods won last night - damn that looked proper hard !!! Well deserved win. Gotta feel for Tuens, but surely his day will come. Haig & Adam supported Simon brilliantly !

Still think Piti will slip off the podium (he hopes and prays desperately even though he doesn't believe in God) and it can be a full sub 30's podium.

Some great rides by Aussies though including Haig & Hindley amongst others.

Go Yatesy !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Just watching the end of the stage.

Great riding by Yates (both) and MS.

What a Piti :mrgreen: :P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:58 am

MichaelB wrote:
I hope not. He's got his 2 stage wins. I'll let him keep the Green jersey, but not on the overall podium please.

Would love to see Lopez & Kruijswijk up there as well - the new generation !!

I'd also be happy to see Thomas the Tank take out the Mountains jersey.
Well 3 outta 4 ain’t bad. Mad is a good substitute for SK and he rode really well.

Brilliant GT all round !!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Fabulous stage celebration

Once again piti comes unstuck with new blood :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 am

Yates and MS raced really well and a deserved win.
Great effort for 2nd & 3rd.

Entertaining race all round and some great stage winner !!

Fairly well behaved crowds too

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Man, I gotta change my nationality and get me some asthma, be #1!!!! :lol:

Good on the young fella. Orica did well to take these two on.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Great outcome! Well done to MS and Yates!!

I stayed up for the Saturday night stage, and was glad I did. Great result. I was a little disappointed Movistar were unable to put up more of a fight. It would have been great to see a team battle of tactics between MS and Movistar. It was not what I expected to have Yates defending from the 4/5th place riders rather than 2nd/3rd.