Mullum Mullum trail offical opening

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Mullum Mullum trail offical opening

Postby cycles gitane » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:10 am

The final section of the trail is officially opened on 16 September 2018.
See link for details.

https://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/file/37501/download
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

Scintilla

Re: Mullum Mullum trail offical opening

Postby Scintilla » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Hope they have fixed up the tree demolition of the trail boardwalk near Quarry Road by then, otherwise we won't be able to get there :roll:

BJL

Postby BJL » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 am

I rode through there last Sunday to see if the new section is open. Good news is that the fallen tree has been cleared . The bad news is that is that it's not open and I had to ride up Heads Rd again. :(

stanzarallyman

Postby stanzarallyman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Do we know if this can be ridden yet?

Might take a detour on the way home tomorrow if it is.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 pm

thanks to the OP for the heads up .... rode past the Park Rd end today feeling hopeful but security fence padlocked and someone on site checking up on something so maybe will have to wait for official opening date....

notice further along the trail...BBQ!! opening walk (shared trail) and if you carry on/approach from Reynolds Rd direction the magpie by the water fountain / Hockey Club carpark is as enthusiastic as ever (-:

meanwhile on Park rd the areas of "significant vegetation" continue untouched....

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 pm

antigee wrote:..... and if you carry on/approach from Reynolds Rd direction the magpie by the water fountain / Hockey Club carpark is as enthusiastic as ever (-:
I think there’s a keen spur-winged plover there. Can hear the ‘snap’ and it doesn’t actually belt the helmet like a magpie would.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

antigee

Postby antigee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:39 am

cyclotaur wrote:.............
I think there’s a keen spur-winged plover there. Can hear the ‘snap’ and it doesn’t actually belt the helmet like a magpie would.
that's me failed my Aus' bird recognition test (pom) ... so I now add plovers to magpies and mynahs...any more? - yep its never hit me but is persistent and I've never stopped to look :shock:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Do you reckon you will be able to ride this on Sunday or will it be so chock full of walkers it won't be worthwhile. Anyway I was interested in taking a look on Sunday (got some time at last!). I always get lost on the Mullum Mullum trail or can't find sections and usually find myself back on the Eastlink trail so might be a chance to follow it all the way this time.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

antigee

Postby antigee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm

rodneycc wrote:Do you reckon you will be able to ride this on Sunday or will it be so chock full of walkers it won't be worthwhile. Anyway I was interested in taking a look on Sunday (got some time at last!). I always get lost on the Mullum Mullum trail or can't find sections and usually find myself back on the Eastlink trail so might be a chance to follow it all the way this time.
depends I went to the opening BBQ for the Darebin / Yarra trail bridges just to see and that was as you'd expect pretty busy - I sort of rode along the trail....if familiar with South Bank at lunchtime or St Kilda foreshore then it was that type of experience

As to getting lost none of the road crossings are really that obvious...one of those trails where if in doubt wait for someone to appear then its obvious ... probably problem is that without this new section you did just get dumped back on Eastlink as it morphs from Mullum Mullum into the Koonung trail unless make effort to turn off up Park rd so this section sort of fixes that

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Well did this today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only issues were the usual poor signage of where the trail goes, missing several turns also missed the initial turn off from the eastlink trail ( no sign that I could see, luckily the course on my garmin said off course when I went past it) and had to ask a group of cyclists where it was. The same thing happened at Park road started to go across into someones driveway thinking it was the trail when in fact it was a left turn up the street. In the end I just followed a nice group that said they where going to the main yarra trail and hitched onto the end of them to guide me the rest of the way to Templestowe before returning home. Going home was a lot quicker I can tell you.

Also did the usual wrong turn near the start from Ringwood lake into Larissa Ave and under the underpass. I have done the same thing about 5 times and somehow fudge it and end up on the eastlink. Starting to think maybe thats just the way it is? They need a bypass of those lights at Ringwood and its not too clear exactly where you need to go once at the lights?

Took a nice little shortcut from the heathmont trail to roswarne lane across the rail line into Ringwood Lake. Quite liked that after the garmin didn't want me to take that route but I tried it anyway.

Also hard to do a proper garmin course from heads rd on the mullum mullum when the maps havent been updated yet. Anyway all worked out and pedestrian traffic wasnt too bad. Some really nice bridged paths on the new section. Could become a favourite to get to westfolds park or the main yarra trail from the end of the dandy creek path at Colchester rd.

Even more pleasing was I didn't have to do that dog of a hill up the eastlink trail to the tunnel pump station. Nice doing it once or twice but after that is just a chore to get up there. A lot flater across the mullum mullum trail I reckon.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:12 pm

I did the new section on a big 70km loop today and was very impressed with the final result.

I’ve also been dodging the Eastlink/Koonung link because of those steep pinches and only come up the Park Rd hill occasionally. I often do a loop up Koonung, down Park Rd and the Mullum to MYT so this new bit only comes into play if I do a bigger ride like today.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I did the new section on a big 70km loop today and was very impressed with the final result.

I’ve also been dodging the Eastlink/Koonung link because of those steep pinches and only come up the Park Rd hill occasionally. I often do a loop up Koonung, down Park Rd and the Mullum to MYT so this new bit only comes into play if I do a bigger ride like today.
I actually thought I was doing a big loop yesterday and when I got back I was a little disappointed it was only 47kms (didn't even crack 50km). Fairly fresh today but was a little buggered last night. The fitness over winter has taken a real hit! :-) Hopefully this is the start of getting back to going bigger and better.

antigee

Postby antigee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:48 pm

rodneycc wrote:Well did this today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only issues were the usual poor signage of where the trail goes, missing several turns also missed the initial turn off from the eastlink trail ( no sign that I could see, luckily the course on my garmin said off course when I went past it) and had to ask a group of cyclists where it was........
Yep no sign - guess will get rectified at some point but for anyone that is venturing out and wants a clue - here's a pic taken at the junction but (stupidly) facing south (towards Ringwood) the key thing in the pic is the Y shaped log bench - its the only one and heading north the junction is just after it and has a STOP sign for entering cyclists - actually pretty close to having crossed Quarry Rd - a lot sooner than you might expect

Its a lovely bit of trail

one of the bridges

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 am

Even one of those painted red signs on the path would of done the job. They are invaliable on the ride at the major forks. I really don't think the councils get it! I remember in the early 80s trying to find my way with great difficulty along the Boronia-Ftg-Belgrave path ( never found the Belgrave path actually from several attempts back then) and it hasn't really changed much even since then. Councils seem to be the same attitude putting the finishing touches on.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:26 pm

I had no trouble finding my way, but then I’m a regular rider in these parts.

I occasionally take a wrong turn on unfamiliar trails, especially the Darebin. Signage is poor for non-locals on nearly all trails, I find.