Why is this - frightened or aroused (in some way) or something else????

zill

Why is this - frightened or aroused (in some way) or something else????

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Am a male and commute everyday on a road bike. I have noticed that when I shift my gears multiple times and very quickly (aggressively) making some loud gear shifting noises, women (and only women) that are ahead of me (often a long way ahead of me) on the same path who were walking would quickly and suddenly turn their head backwards and stare at me for a while (until I pretty much pass them). First of all does anyone else experience this? Second of all are they frightened or aroused (the women I notice doing this are all attractive themselves - go figure)?? Or something else? Note I had no intention of getting those girl's attention in the first place but just needed to shift the gears at the time.
Last edited by zill on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Re: Why is this - frightened or aroused (in some way) or something else????

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm getting the popcorn ready and waiting for the fireworks - this is some way to return after two years.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Up shifts or down shifts?

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Tim wrote:Up shifts or down shifts?
Doesn't matter which one. Just the loud shifting noise either way.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm getting the popcorn ready and waiting for the fireworks - this is some way to return after two years.
Am completely honest with this observation and question.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Most peculiar.
I can only think that your perception of arousal is a falsely misplaced projection of your imagination.
Yer dreamin’
Last edited by Tim on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I hear someone loudly changing gears behind me, I am going to assume they want to barrel past.

Not being either young or pretty (and being on a 'bent meaning I am also frighteningly weird) I don't think the oncoming man - I will be sure it is a man- is going to bother me beyond crowding me off the road if I let them.

Women who are more in the harrassable demographic are likely to be watching in self defence and also hoping that the direct stare will move them out of the prey basket.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

zebee wrote:I hear someone loudly changing gears behind me, I am going to assume they want to barrel past.

Not being either young or pretty (and being on a 'bent meaning I am also frighteningly weird) I don't think the oncoming man - I will be sure it is a man- is going to bother me beyond crowding me off the road if I let them.

Women who are more in the harrassable demographic are likely to be watching in self defence and also hoping that the direct stare will move them out of the prey basket.
It could just be someone with a retro TT bike and similar vintage disc rear wheel - no matter what speed, the gearshifts sound like artillery going off. :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:25 pm

zebee wrote:I hear someone loudly changing gears behind me, I am going to assume they want to barrel past.

Thing is those girls are quite a long way ahead of me when they suddenly turn back and stare at me. Funny thing is if they are walking with a man beside them, the man doesn't even turn back and look at me at all. One time a girl upon hearing my loud shifting noises turned around and then giggled in a very feminine way. That time I was actually very close to her! I had to quickly shift gears because I was suddenly going up a steep hill and also my initial speed was high going up that hill which with the loud shifting noise would have made her legitimately scared. I actually felt bad afterwards doing that to her when she was just walking up that very narrow hill.
Last edited by zill on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:

It could just be someone with a retro TT bike and similar vintage disc rear wheel - no matter what speed, the gearshifts sound like artillery going off. :lol:
Mine is just a normal road bike though.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm

zill, you’re overthinking it. You are a very perceptive guy as we know from past posts.

What you interpret in a specific way is just normal reactive behaviour of a more cautious rider to hearing someone faster approaching from behind. It’s nothing more, and nothing to be concerned about. Maybe just say ‘G’day’ as you pass by and keep on going.

Keep enjoying your riding and don’t worry about the details.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 pm

:lol: Must be the Lynx NZ you wear bro

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 pm

NASHIE wrote::lol: Must be the Lynx NZ you wear bro
Don't wear anything. Was thinking might be the way I shift my gears when I do it quickly lol.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 pm

zill wrote:
Don't wear anything. Was thinking might be the way I shift my gears when I do it quickly lol.
:lol: Maybe next time drop the Austin powers line “do i make you horny baby”.....get a kiss and your onto something, get slapped..........

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

cyclotaur wrote:zill, you’re overthinking it. You are a very perceptive guy as we know from past posts.

What you interpret in a specific way is just normal reactive behaviour of a more cautious rider to hearing someone faster approaching from behind. It’s nothing more, and nothing to be concerned about. Maybe just say ‘G’day’ as you pass by and keep on going.

The women I describe were actually walking on the shared path. Haven't come across any riders turning back when I shift gears.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 pm

NASHIE wrote:
zill wrote:
:lol: Maybe next time drop the Austin powers line “do i make you horny baby”.....get a kiss and your onto something, get slapped..........
Am surprised no one else have experienced this.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:07 am

zill wrote:I have noticed that when I shift my gears multiple times and very quickly (aggressively) making some loud gear shifting noises, women (and only women) that are ahead of me (often a long way ahead of me) on the same path who were walking would quickly and suddenly turn their head backwards and stare at me for a while (until I pretty much pass them).
The age old question -- do brifters echo the sounds of a prehistoric predator, or are they the mating noises of neanderthal man?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 am

Unfamiliar harsh mechanical sound...they're all waiting for the assumed breakage or at least trying to make sense of the unusual stimuli...is a sort of threat assessment.
Either that or theyre expecting a bingle and possible engagement in some good old schadenfreude
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Unfamiliar harsh mechanical sound...they're all waiting for the assumed breakage or at least trying to make sense of the unusual stimuli...is a sort of threat assessment.
Either that or theyre expecting a bingle and possible engagement in some good old schadenfreude
Agreed. An unusual loud mechanical sound could signal to them that you may be somehow out of control.
zill wrote:Am surprised no one else have experienced this.
Quieter shifting perhaps? Maybe others riding less aggressively when approaching pedestrians?

zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am

uart wrote: Quieter shifting perhaps? Maybe others riding less aggressively when approaching pedestrians?
Good one.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 am

zill wrote:
uart wrote: Quieter shifting perhaps? Maybe others riding less aggressively when approaching pedestrians?
Good one.
I'm being serious though. A loud mashing of gears and they think that someone is riding towards them aggressively and/or out of control. It's not an unnatural reaction.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 am

zill wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:zill, you’re overthinking it. You are a very perceptive guy as we know from past posts.

The women I describe were actually walking on the shared path. Haven't come across any riders turning back when I shift gears.
Riders, walkers - makes no difference. Most women will turn and check if they hear someone approaching from behind, it’s a natural reaction, and nothing to do with you in particular.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 pm

uart wrote:
zill wrote:
Good one.
I'm being serious though. A loud mashing of gears and they think that someone is riding towards them aggressively and/or out of control. It's not an unnatural reaction.
Yes I was serious also.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:42 pm

zill wrote:
Don't wear anything.
Ahhh, I think I see the issue....

zill

Postby zill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Ross wrote:
zill wrote:
Don't wear anything.
Ahhh, I think I see the issue....
As in I don't wear any deodorant or anything else like that.