MTB Tires -Road / Trail ?

kaniSS

MTB Tires -Road / Trail ?

Postby kaniSS » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:40 am

Hey all,

Just got back into riding after a 15 year break. Got myself a GT Avalanche hardtail 29er. Love it, does what I need.

Im looking for a general use tire to replace the stocks, which are absolute crap, been researching online but just cant decide which tire to get, its been doin my head in. Been pondering over Maxxis Ikon, Tomahawk, Minion SS and Ardent.

I want something thats 50\50 road and trail use, but has that aggressive look to it.

What do you guys reccon? Or recommend something else. Prefer something offself that I can get this weekend..

Cheers.

Usernoname

Re: MTB Tires -Road / Trail ?

Postby Usernoname » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Did a road / gravel 80k ride recently. One rider on the day had minions (not sure of model) leading the group at 60k down doing 27kph on tar. I have used specialized purgatory and botranger xr3 previously myself.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 pm

I commute a mix of road and single track and use Maxxis Ikon. Been very happy, pretty hard wearing and reasonable performance on and off the road.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Vittoria Mezcal - excellent grip, low rolling resistance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 pm

I’ve used Maxxis crossmarks for quite a while. Good centre bead for low rolling resistance, reasonable knobs off centre for dirt
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

I use whatever is cheapest at the time of looking for tyres. Pretty much can't get a bad tyre these days.

Currently running Conti Mountain Kings, Schwalbe Smart Sam/Rocket Ron and some WTB Rangers over 3 bikes and none of them are bad.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 pm

I've been using the 40mm version http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod152129 of this on my cross bike, depending how much you want to spend. I only bought the wire bead version, they roll well on tarmac and dirt.

I'm a big fan of Schwalbe tyres in general and have found the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron's to be fast rolling tyres , reasonably good for on/off road. They also make tyres that are less aggressive, more of a semi slick http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod52617 orhttp://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod160964. It can be ideal to have a slightly more aggressive tyre on the front like a Racing Ralph and a semi slick on the back like a Furious Fred. I use a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph on the back for off road use.
No signature

kaniSS

Postby kaniSS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys...I spoke to the bloke at the bike-shop together with the recommendations on hand from you guys, we settled on a set of Minions. They seem to fit my needs the best.

I can't get over how better the bike feels. Rolls further, grips way better, and cornering is 100 time better. It sticks to the corners like glue now. Love it.

Now time to upgrade the fork lol.