sourcing internal cable housing / frame adaptor

jules21

sourcing internal cable housing / frame adaptor

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm building up a bike with Focus Cayo Evo frame. It's got internal cabling.

You can see the cable outlet I'm interested in, at the top right of the photo:

It's basically a spigot type joint - a hole in the frame with a landing area surrounding it. My problem is I didn't get the cable adaptor/mounting with the frame, so I'm having trouble figuring out what to put there. A normal cable end ferrule (5mm) just falls through the hole - so it needs to be a larger diameter.

I've bodged it up with one of these that I had lying around:

The cable housing end cap feeds into the left side of that fitting, and the right side abuts the entry into the frame - with a small amount of spigot joint (right side of fitting slides inside the frame) helping locate it. It's not great, but it seems to hold.

For love or money, I can't find anything that would be more suitable - some kind of cable end, but they all seem to be 5mm and are too small a diameter to work.

Any ideas?

ironhanglider

Re: sourcing internal cable housing / frame adaptor

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 pm

jules21 wrote:I'm building up a bike with Focus Cayo Evo frame. It's got internal cabling.

It's basically a spigot type joint - a hole in the frame with a landing area surrounding it. My problem is I didn't get the cable adaptor/mounting with the frame, so I'm having trouble figuring out what to put there. A normal cable end ferrule (5mm) just falls through the hole - so it needs to be a larger diameter.

The cable housing end cap feeds into the left side of that fitting, and the right side abuts the entry into the frame - with a small amount of spigot joint (right side of fitting slides inside the frame) helping locate it. It's not great, but it seems to hold.

For love or money, I can't find anything that would be more suitable - some kind of cable end, but they all seem to be 5mm and are too small a diameter to work.

Any ideas?
These are a bit fatter than most ferrules.

Jetblack is the brand I have had. I got some from the bay or wiggle or somewhere years ago.

Code JBBC-7011

This looks like it might work..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pcs-Bike- ... 1725806532

Cheers,

Cameron
Last edited by ironhanglider on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 pm

jules21 wrote:I'm building up a bike with Focus Cayo Evo frame. It's got internal cabling.

Any ideas?
Geez had this exact issue yesterday with a Focus cayo DI2 frame my son bought secondhand. Probably doesn't help you but Glen Parker Cycles in Perth had a box with a few different size cable to frame ferrules, so i guess a good LBS should have something on hand. FWIW we just ran full outer cable to rear brake but needed ferrule for rear derailleur cable. Note the one on the head tube was a different size to the one at the end of the seat stay although we were coverting whats really a di2 only frame to mechanical rear so won't effect you.

They looked like this but maybe different size
https://www.benscycle.com/jagwire-5mm-a ... 92/product

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am

ironhanglider wrote:Code JBBC-7011

Thanks Cameron, but the site says it's a 5mm barrel which I think is still smaller than the hole diameter. If so, it would just fall through. If you reckon it's wider than that, let me know.
NASHIE wrote:Geez had this exact issue yesterday with a Focus cayo DI2 frame my son bought secondhand. Probably doesn't help you but Glen Parker Cycles in Perth had a box with a few different size cable to frame ferrules, so i guess a good LBS should have something on hand. FWIW we just ran full outer cable to rear brake but needed ferrule for rear derailleur cable. Note the one on the head tube was a different size to the one at the end of the seat stay although we were coverting whats really a di2 only frame to mechanical rear so won't effect you.

They looked like this but maybe different size
https://www.benscycle.com/jagwire-5mm-a ... 92/product
It's the same frame I think Nashie. It's Di2 compatible, but I'm running mechanical as well.

But I don't think the 5mm housing stops are wide enough. I reckon there might have been some kind of Focus-specific housing for it? If I can find another Focus to look at, I'll be able to see how they've done it.

Running full outers would work, but I find you get more cable friction.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am

Ours are fitted now so can’t measure but link is what they looked like, but they had differnt sizes to suit. Note we drilled a couple of holes under BB in the indent to run cable as i couldn’t see a way through the crank area. Also used a 10cm length of outer cable poked into rear stay to stop cable rub at the bend in the chain stay. Agree on full outer on the rear brake but only noted on return from morning running around chaseing BB30 converter, mentioned cable ferrule etc etc. Brake feels crisp so will keep an eye on it. Nice frames, picked this one up for $350. seems to have had little use.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Code JBBC-7011

Thanks Cameron, but the site says it's a 5mm barrel which I think is still smaller than the hole diameter. If so, it would just fall through. If you reckon it's wider than that, let me know.
Hi Jules

The external diameter of the fat bit is shown in one of the pics (to the left) as 7mm, there were two different internal diameters available, for brake or gear cables.

Cheers,

Cameron

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 pm

This frame is DI2 only i think. Son runs junior gearing so will be 1x but you would have to run a DI2 front derailleur, as i cant see a way to run a front cable.
Rear ferrule measures about 7mm

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:21 pm

I'd just badger Focus. In my dealings with them for similar silly things they have been great.

Hence we have three in the house.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am

NASHIE wrote:This frame is DI2 only i think.
that's a different frame to mine, which has cable routing under the BB.

thanks for the tip on ferrules, I'll check whether that will work for me.

thanks also Cameron - sounds like a possibility too. I'll check it out.
ValleyForge wrote:I'd just badger Focus. In my dealings with them for similar silly things they have been great.
I'll keep that one in my pocket VF. if the other ferrules fit, I reckon I'm sorted. cheers for the suggestion.