Wireless Earbuds

CKinnard

Wireless Earbuds

Postby CKinnard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 am

I am in the market for these.
Prices, quality and durability vary significantly from my research so far.
I'd appreciate others' experience/recommendations.

RonK

Re: Wireless Earbuds

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 am

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry Ron, I've confused the subject.
Many sites refer to earphones as earbuds nowadays.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/headphones/ ... eadphones/
I am after the "wireless" earphones.

BrianDamage

Postby BrianDamage » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

What I wouldn't recommend are the Bose QuietControl 30 neckband style bluetooth earphones, at least for cycling.

The noise cancellation works beautifully on a plane or mowing the lawn, but I had high hopes they would also cancel out wind noise while cycling. They don't. If anything, they actually amplify it, though to be fair they're not exactly designed for this use case.

Instead of earphones though, have you considered the bone conduction type like Aftershokz? They work a treat and have the added benefit of not blocking out traffic noise, sirens etc. I need to get a new pair, as I hamfistedly broke the headband when removing them.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm

not purely wireless ... Plantronics backbeat fit

pros:
Soft rubber material that goes over ears, I don't notice them and through winter, I had a beanie type thing over my ears/headphones and it was still comfortable.
Not isolating (not a "pro" if your looking for isolation)
The controls are a bit odd, but that does mean the phone answer, auto call button is on the opposite ear to music controls, so no accidental pressing of that button (which i always manage to do on the other headphones I have).
I operate the controls ok through gloves hands and my thin beanie
Battery life is good compared to most wirelss i have tried

cons:
My first pair DOA, bit of google seems to suggest this is not uncommon. JB HiFi exchanged etc
The rubber "cord" around the back of the head, can catch on a high collar (e.g a cycling jacket) and that is a bit annoying, its quite flexible and I pushed it up under my cycling beanie hat.

Also I use these commuting, so slow speeds and wind noise isn't a factor.

I was very keen on getting the Aftershokz, but on demoing them in store (in on of those display cabinet/demo things) I could just hear music when the store was quiet, a bit of people walking around and I could not hear anything. Maybe there are little tricks/adjustments one can do to make them louder :?: not sure.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 pm

BrianDamage wrote: Instead of earphones though, have you considered the bone conduction type like Aftershokz? They work a treat and have the added benefit of not blocking out traffic noise, sirens etc. I need to get a new pair, as I hamfistedly broke the headband when removing them.
That was going to be my suggestion too. Unless they're not specifically for use when cycling only?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks for feedback.
Yeah I've been tossing up whether it is worth getting buds wired together or not.

My usage will probably be
30% cycling mostly off road or quieter roads, and associated coffee.
the rest of the time when in public spaces - especially noisy shopping centers.

I find myself listening to podcasts and youtube on the phone a lot more these days. better than listening to the inane cacophony of many public spaces.

I've been using wired earphones that are a snug fit in the ears, and they do a good job of dampening noise at the shops, and wind on the bike.
When I don't want that level of ambient noise dampening, I tend to just pull one earphone out.
However, the cord is always getting in the way.

I keep reading a lot about these things failing after a few months use, even the $200+ models.

I did read up on the bone conduction ones, but I presume they are not going to suppress ambient noise when required.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 pm

ok, so I needed some retail therapy and picked these up this arvo
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/skullcandy/sk ... ey/318006/
They get among the best feedback on ebay in the US for sub $100 wireless earphones (over 2000 reviews)

I have to say I am impressed with the sound and general quality.
I am also really happy I got some with the frame that sits around your neck.
The more I think about using them in different circumstances, the more the frame makes sense.
Bluetooth connection happened without a hitch for phone and computers. Range is about 7 meters at which the stream starts breaking.

I've been wearing them non stop for about 5 hours, while cooking, a bit of work in the garden, some computer work....they aren't tiring my ears. Listening to everything from Pavarotti to Karen Carpenter, The Doors, Robyn Trower, Steve Vai. and several youtube vids. Am just really enjoying being able to get on doing stuff without cords getting in the way. I look forward to testing them on the bike when the rain eases in BNE.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Went for a couple of mainly off road rides in the drizzle over the w/e.
Skullcandy performed most excellently.
Though I didn't ride over 30kph when I presume wind noise would be an issue.

For a month, I've also been using an andoid app that allows me to run youtube content with the screen locked or off and removes ads.
https://youtubevanced.com/

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:39 am

Well the SkullCandy buds were great while they lasted.
two days ago when I took them off charge, I could not turn them on....but they work when plugged into usb charger.
Some kind of electrical short I presume.

so back to JB HiFi for a refund....which took the best part of 30 minutes due to poor staff attitude towards returns.
I won't spend $100 again on bluetooth ear buds. They are under-engineered.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:52 pm

66 audio bluetooth headphones?
66 audio
$100 us
Had mine for over a year.. used everyday, rain or shine. Charge once a week.
A little quiet compared to my cabled
Polks or Grado but excellent on bike performance.

m@

Postby m@ » Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 pm

I have a set of Samsung Galaxy earbuds which I really like; great sound quality, noise cancellation is solid (and easily configurable) and so far they've been reliable. Battery life is solid too. Only downside is they aren't great for calls - people always complain the audio is quiet and muffled - so presumably the microphones aren't great.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun May 10, 2020 3:26 pm

I bought some $50 Soundpeats True Free+ for wearing at work and they're great for cheapies. I'm loving the lack of cable tangling, and audio is acceptable for Youtube videos and music. Still going strong since November 2019, I'm well impressed at what can be found for $50. I expected them to be rather cruddy but so far so good.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

halojump

Postby halojump » Sun May 10, 2020 3:26 pm

I wouldn't be riding with earplugs or headphones. If you have to try some bone conducting headphones like these https://aftershokz.com/products/aeropex

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

I've got some Jabra Elite 65t earphones - they've been superseded but they work really well.
Best feature for riding outside is 'hearthrough' were it transmits external sounds through the buds. I used this for road riding and it works well

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

Best feature for riding outside is 'hearthrough' were it transmits external sounds through the buds. I used this for road riding and it works well
That sounds like a great feature for bicycle use.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

That sounds like a great feature for bicycle use.
It is. If you go through the Jabra app you can set it up how you want, but there is a mode called 'Commute' that you can set to turn on automatically when it senses you walking. Automatically comes on during a call, which I find useful as I yell otherwise!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
It is. If you go through the Jabra app you can set it up how you want, but there is a mode called 'Commute' that you can set to turn on automatically when it senses you walking. Automatically comes on during a call, which I find useful as I yell otherwise!
Thanks mate :)
I am considering one actually.
Most of my riding is rural.
Can you hear passing cars?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
Thanks mate :)
I am considering one actually.
Most of my riding is rural.
Can you hear passing cars?
Not as well as if you weren't wearing headphones, but a lot better than if you didn't have it at all.
The marketing guff says you can have a conversation using that mode if you needed to, but haven't tried that out.
Personally I like it for working in an office too as you can hear people speaking to you, which you couldn't if you were wearing normal canalphones.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Not as well as if you weren't wearing headphones, but a lot better than if you didn't have it at all.
The marketing guff says you can have a conversation using that mode if you needed to, but haven't tried that out.
Personally I like it for working in an office too as you can hear people speaking to you, which you couldn't if you were wearing normal canalphones.
Tbh I have trouble hearing them over the wind noise.
Quite often don't hear them until they are passing.
I'll check out the price and have a think.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2020 3:37 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Elite 65ts are $180 at JB https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/jabr ... nium-black
New version are $300 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/jabr ... nium-black

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:37 pm
Elite 65ts are $180 at JB https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/jabr ... nium-black
That has made me a fair bit less keen :o
Definitely not getting the new version.
Cheers.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:37 pm
That has made me a fair bit less keen :o
Definitely not getting the new version.
Cheers.
I've got the old version, they still work really well, but yeah not cheap. I got them as I can't stand apples headphones and I'm locked to an iPhone for work

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon May 11, 2020 4:14 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm
You could buy or make some wind blockers that go on the helmet strap directly in front of your ear. I raided my daughter's craft stash and stitched a pair of simple felt tubes over said straps, and the noise reduction has been brilliant.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Mububban wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:14 pm

You could buy or make some wind blockers that go on the helmet strap directly in front of your ear. I raided my daughter's craft stash and stitched a pair of simple felt tubes over said straps, and the noise reduction has been brilliant.
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com.au/Wind-Blox-Pro ... B07Z8529LM
Interesting.