ANY WITNESSES , car/cyclist accident Heatherton rd Springvale 26/7 3.45pm 26July

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jules21

Re: ANY WITNESSES , car/cyclist accident Heatherton rd Springvale 26/7 3.45pm 26July

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:40 pm

RetroPilot wrote:I've caught up on who she is, anyway...about 15 min phone convo yesterday, which was cordial..her husband had the car down being repaired, so whether that is both their cars or hers only and if so she obviously intends to keep bloody driving, on which I made no comment..
she just seemed a bit Bourne Identity about rapid police response...
hi RP.

sorry to hear about your crash. trust you are recovering well. I only just saw this post.

I'd encourage you to report the driver to VicRoads. you can do it yourself.

RetroPilot

Re: ANY WITNESSES , car/cyclist accident Heatherton rd Springvale 26/7 3.45pm 26July

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 am

thanks...although sling is off, and I have a lot more use of my left-shoulder /arm than I did a month back, still seems slow recovery and a fair bit of discomfort when using it still, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get a 100% recovery or not..seems to me that although the broken left clavicle was the only injury picked up by xrays in that area, that there is something a little bit amiss outboard of the collar-bone, deep inside the delt area itself..it feels to me as separate from the adjacent broken bone area inboard of it...some kind of soft tissue or shoulder-socket issue..it is not severe, but is nagging and persistant..

police did arrive on the scene very quickly, and the (elderly) driver was referred for a 'license review"..I think the general consensus was that her eyesight had gone, (red light not seen, plus me in orange/yellow vizvest I always ride in) but I know that the damage to the car was rushed off to be repaired next day as a priority, so unless someone else uses the car , seems likely she will not give up driving it without a struggle.

GIO did compensate me for my material loss, but half of the still modest amount I asked for, and after more than a month of to and fro by email...
I claimed , besides a bike, and a cellphone, a $25 set of crocks sandles, and $30 worth of groceries scattered on road..they demanded pics and purchase dockets for both items.
I sent back a reply on that that I assume gave someone in Manila or Mumbai a hot ear.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 pm

It took me nearly a year to get insurance to cough up from a similar situation, elderly driver, couldn't see me, sent for licence review. Thankfully my injuries weren't as bad as yours but TAC is a joke, nearly $700 out of pocket before they cover a thing. I had one appointment with a personal injury lawyer and didn't bother going back, after they take their cut it was gonna be a waste of time. I ended up with a shoulder pain like you are describing and it was diagnosed as a rotator cuff injury, an ultrasound showed a partial tear in the supraspinatus tendon. If your bone has healed your GP should be able to do a simple test to diagnose it, my treatment was an injection which cost around $300 and is not covered by Medicare. If you have a TAC claim in already you should be able to add it on easily if that's what it is.

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 am

sounds like a good bet that it is one of those things, definitely something happening outboard and separate to the site of the bone-break, I will raise those items with medicos, t/y..

TAC have been ok covering my costs as I go, Physiotherapy they apparently will but it has not begun yet but that is because there was no point until the bone healing was fairly solid, which it is only now maybe beginning to approach some solidity with that.

Like you, had appointment with personal injury ambulance-chasers..basically it worked that an 11% disability meant an $11000 payout, which they would get half, so as I hopefully do not intend or want to have any ongoing disability out of it, and looks like you have to be in a very bad way to get into worthwhile amount, I'm not counting on having a case worth pursuing atm.
The worst argument so far has been with GIO over a whole $1500 property damage claim.It has now been paid, but less than half that amount actually paid.You pretty much get the Monty Python "dead Norwegian parrot" routine with them.It infuriated me because being such a modest amount anyway, and if she had collected another car instead of my flesh and bone bearing the brunt of it, then GIO would be up for a t-boned car , bill for repair or write-off of which could be anything $$$$, but would not be $1500.