Wheel upgrade time

User76

Wheel upgrade time

Postby User76 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Looking for a Xmas present for myself :wink: and figure a wheelset upgrade may do the trick.

Currently have the stock Merida - AlexRims Expert SL wheels.. thinking of getting something better.

Currently looking at (pricing $500-$630-$750):-
- Campagnolo Zonda C17's (cheaper Fulcrum Racing 3 alternate it seems) ~1598gm, aero spokes, cheapest, no tubeless
- Hunt Race Aero ~1439gm, aero spokes, tubeless ready, cheap
- Shimano WH-RS700, ~1550gm, aero spokes, tubeless ready, less cheap

Any thoughts on above or alternates i should check out?
Mainly do local riding alone or a few mates (distance 30-60km), with some climbs (trying to do these more) and not much group/faster rides at this stage hence thinking weight over deeper profile.
Not fussed on tubeless at this stage, but if it's there it won't hurt to try at some stage.

Cheers all

A.

RobertL

Re: Wheel upgrade time

Postby RobertL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm

User76 wrote:Looking for a Xmas present for myself :wink: and figure a wheelset upgrade may do the trick.

Currently have the stock Merida - AlexRims Expert SL wheels.. thinking of getting something better.

Currently looking at (pricing $500-$630-$750):-
- Campagnolo Zonda C17's (cheaper Fulcrum Racing 3 alternate it seems) ~1598gm, aero spokes, cheapest, no tubeless
- Hunt Race Aero ~1439gm, aero spokes, tubeless ready, cheap
- Shimano WH-RS700, ~1550gm, aero spokes, tubeless ready, less cheap

Any thoughts on above or alternates i should check out?
Mainly do local riding alone or a few mates (distance 30-60km), with some climbs (trying to do these more) and not much group/faster rides at this stage hence thinking weight over deeper profile.
Not fussed on tubeless at this stage, but if it's there it won't hurt to try at some stage.

Cheers all

A.
I bought Campag Zonda C17s earlier this year. I've done 3700km on them so far, and they've been great. Not the lightest or the most aero, but anything too much better would have been over-capitalizing my old bike.

I replaced Mavic Aksiums, so the Campags are significantly lighter. They also give a much plusher ride. I'd love to say that the lighter weight makes a huge difference, but I can't really tell.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I'd pick the Hunt wheels as they are the widest of the three, which makes for better cornering and aero performance, plus they're TLR.

User76

Postby User76 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks Robert - Yes i've read a number of reviews of the Zonda's to see that they are good and very popular choice. I'm not sure about all the weight stuff but it makes me feel stronger when I pick up a light bike :D

I actually have them in a shopping basket now, but just checking in case spending a little more is worthwhile for the other two. See if some real riders have found tubeless a game changer and worth doing. And or are Shimano's amazing to get and have a "Shimano" bike..

Also noticed Zonda/Shimano or cup and cone so may need more maintenance vs Hunt which is sealed bearing so run until they don't work and then replace, have you done any maintenance on yours yet?
A.
THIS YEAR 4,611 / 5,000 km

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Cup and cone are a way better design for wheels than cartridge bearings. Bigger balls. Fewer parts. Easily serviced. Adjustable.
Shimano isn't a company that does engineering by halves.

Other options? Kotavelo. Maybe the cheaper wiggle Prime carbon wheels? Fulcrum Quattro / Four. BDOP DIY kit. Vision Trimax 35. Novatec Jetfly.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 pm

User76 wrote: See if some real riders have found tubeless a game changer and worth doing.
I have and recommend tubeless. Was running tubulars on my race bike (10 speed) swore by them. Got new race bike (11 speed) came with tubeless ready wheels. Was annoyed could not use my tubulars, survived a few weeks running tubes then I went tubeless and not looking back. I prefer tubeless to tubulars, and going tubeless on my training bike/s

Note running tubes in tubeless ready wheels in a right PITA when you need to replaced a tube or tyre. What flipped me to tubeless, was puncturing on my new wheels took me well over 10 minutes, closer to 15 and a lot of swearing to replace a tube, when it takes me less than 2 minutes on any other wheelset.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:45 pm

nickdos wrote:I'd pick the Hunt wheels as they are the widest of the three, which makes for better cornering and aero performance, plus they're TLR.
Actually, Hunts seem to test poorly for their aero qualities. https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicyc ... s-fastest/

Velt

Postby Velt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Farsports are having a sale on 11/11 on their wheels on aliexpress.

You can get some great wheels for a great price https://www.aliexpress.com/store/167932 ... 7708TAQPfC

Reviews on other forums are positive

User76

Postby User76 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:12 pm

madmacca wrote:
nickdos wrote:I'd pick the Hunt wheels as they are the widest of the three, which makes for better cornering and aero performance, plus they're TLR.
Actually, Hunts seem to test poorly for their aero qualities. https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicyc ... s-fastest/
Interesting read, although no other of my budget /choices are there so maybe the hunts are the worst of the best, the others could even be further down the list?
Most of those wheels are deep rims, so better for longer /faster or TT rides I guess.
Thanks for the link still, always good to see non favourable reviews, need to read the good and the bad.
A.

User76

Postby User76 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Velt wrote:Farsports are having a sale on 11/11 on their wheels on aliexpress.

You can get some great wheels for a great price https://www.aliexpress.com/store/167932 ... 7708TAQPfC

I don't mind AliExpress for some items, just not sure I'm ready to get anything this expensive or important.
AliExpress /eBay generally only help you with warranty for 60days, so seller can say 10yr warranty, but after 60 days, good luck..
A.

User76

Postby User76 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:25 pm

MattyK wrote:Cup and cone are a way better design for wheels than cartridge bearings. Bigger balls. Fewer parts. Easily serviced. Adjustable.
Shimano isn't a company that does engineering by halves.

Other options? Kotavelo. Maybe the cheaper wiggle Prime carbon wheels? Fulcrum Quattro / Four. BDOP DIY kit. Vision Trimax 35. Novatec Jetfly.
Good to know, I guess easier than pushing out bearings with a press.

Not more options, my head is spinning already.. Will check them out ;)

Did look at fulcrum 4 and Quattro, is there a difference, and what does their LG mean?
A.

Velt

Postby Velt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 pm

User76 wrote:
Velt wrote:Farsports are having a sale on 11/11 on their wheels on aliexpress.

I don't mind AliExpress for some items, just not sure I'm ready to get anything this expensive or important.
AliExpress /eBay generally only help you with warranty for 60days, so seller can say 10yr warranty, but after 60 days, good luck..
Farsports themselves offer an 18 month warranty. If you don't want to buy off aliexpress you can buy direct from farsports by googling for wheelsfar. Light bicycle are also very highly reccommended who also offer their own warranty.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm

User76 wrote: Did look at fulcrum 4 and Quattro, is there a difference, and what does their LG mean?
4 is the new name for the Quattro.
LG was a wide rim update introduced in about 2016