Putting the "oh no" into obikes

10speedsemiracer

Re: Putting the "oh no" into obikes

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Tamiya wrote:So how do they get charged? :D do they have swappable batteries.
From BrissieTimes blurb.
Scroll further down to see this copied comment.
"Sydney's need for innovative transport solutions, which cater to the first and last mile, gives us confidence we will see high uptake of Lime electric bikes within the community."

The electric bicycles contain a lithium battery, which is replaced every two days by operational staff, and allows users to ride at speeds up to 23.8km/h, even over hilly terrain.
Does the existence of a service vehicle loaded up with god knows how many hundred kilos of Li batteries doing laps of Sydney every 48 hrs strike anyone else as completely destroying the point of a reduced carbon footprint, or is that just me (?)..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:15 am

I'd like to see what grade of hill it can manage 20kmh on..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Serviced every 2 days for the battery possibly means that other issues are also catered for. I noticed this morning that the bikes I noted without helmets had helmets this morning and I was wondering if I made a mistake or the helmets have been replaced. In the original photo the helmets were in the baskets where now I see the helmets thru the locks. I did another batch of bikes this morning which didn't have helmets, I'll check again during the week
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Calvin27 wrote:What does this even mean? Seriously I have no idea. Does this mean they pay peopel a small fee to charge the bikes?
Pretty easy to google:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lime ... e&ie=UTF-8

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:38 pm

human909 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:What does this even mean? Seriously I have no idea. Does this mean they pay peopel a small fee to charge the bikes?
Pretty easy to google:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lime ... e&ie=UTF-8
What a gentleman!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm

I won't touch the Lime E-bikes with a barge pole.

Anyone wants to register it,do it at their own risk of losing their money.
Park it at wrong place will result in deduction of money from your account.
From User Agreement many pages.
1.9.8. Park or place any Product in a manner that prevents Lime from accessing it. If You violate this Section, Lime may charge You up to $450, in Our sole and absolute discretion.
3.5. Pick Up Fees : If You are unable to return any Product to a valid area ( i.e., You deactivate a Product on private property, a locked community, and/or any other unreachable area), and request that the Product be picked up by Lime, then We, in Our sole and absolute discretion, may charge You a pick-up fee up to $120. If any Product accessed under Your account is abandoned without notice, You will be responsible for all fees until the Product is recovered and deactivated, plus a service charge of up to $120.00, to recover the Product. Fees are subject to change in Lime’s sole and absolute discretion, and without notice to You.
And
3.3. Maximum Rental Time and Charges : Maximum rental time is 24 hours. You agree that You will deactivate the Product rental within 24 hours of time that rental of the Product began. You may then rent again. You agree that You are solely responsible for being aware of any elapsed time related to timely locking any Product. The maximum charge is $50 for any Bike, and $200 for any E-vehicle, all based on a 24-hour period. After return of the Product, You will be charged the accumulated rental charges, or the maximum 24-hour charge; whichever is less. Products not returned (locked and a ride concluded) within 48 hours will be considered lost or stolen, and You may be charged up to $600 for each Bike, $2,000 for each Lime-E, and $1,500 for each Lime-S, and a police report may be filed against You. We may also charge a service fee of $25, in Our sole discretion, for rentals in excess of 24 hours where the Product is not considered lost or stolen.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:...
1.9.8. Park or place any Product in a manner that prevents Lime from accessing it. If You violate this Section, Lime may charge You up to $450, in Our sole and absolute discretion.
That's a shocker. So it could be as simple as 'Our juicer couldn't access the bike because there was no parking near it, so we're charging you $450..'

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:55 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
That's a shocker. So it could be as simple as 'Our juicer couldn't access the bike because there was no parking near it, so we're charging you $450..'
!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! me...I think we are now seeing right there what the whole play is...Lime Juice..yeah, great..the Mattel Hot Wheels Fat Track juice-machine..

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
A shocker? Hardly. Seems quite reasonable to me. Is quite clear "prevents Lime from accessing it". Running such a business is normal to have such clauses. Have you read the terms and conditions of OTHER companies hiring out vehicles?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm

I've just clicked. What if Lime bikes or whatever they're called, have been set up by the people responsible for Limewire

which was a file-sharing application and the successor to Napster (sort of) and the easiest way to infect your PC immediately.

Possible outcomes:

App installed on phone ends up being vicious malware
Bikes infected, with locks randomly engaging/disengaging and lights strobing causing fits

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:51 pm

That's the second time I thought there were no helmets and the next time I went past the same lime bike there were helmets. Was it a trick of the angle I initially looked from or were they replaced? I'm inclined to think it was my visual error.

Anyway I'm wondering if the requirement to take a photo of the bike when it is parked will also identify if the rider has correctly secured the helmet strap in the lock? If so we could see less helmets go missing.

The other thing that caught my notice was the restricted areas where they can't park, there was a photo on an article that showed areas like the harbour foreshore at Sydney CBD but when I went to their web site they haven't updated to include Australia as a place where you can hire and hence I couldn't find a map of where you are permitted to ride them

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm

This article indicates that they have put a lot of thought into it, learning from prior entrants into the Sydney market. Also why we don't have e-scooters

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/lov ... 50f3y.html

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Also why we don't have e-scooters
The answer to your rhetorical question is that motorised scooters, skateboards and segways were banned in NSW arbout 20 years ago - the then craze was for 2 stroke motors on the back of scooters & skateboards.

The ban is only sporadically enforced, but the fine is huge - they breach a number of laws - things like no rego, licence, helmet (motorbike not bicycle), indicators, brakes or lights & that can add up to around $2,000 & ironically prevent the person from driving, which is often why they ended up on a scooter/skateboard anyway.

The problem for operators like Lime is that they can also be charged with encouraging people to break the law & its much easier to go after them and impound all the scooters than to chase down individuals.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:The answer to your rhetorical question is that motorised scooters, skateboards and segways were banned in NSW arbout 20 years ago - the then craze was for 2 stroke motors on the back of scooters & skateboards.
I haven't gone back over changes to the laws but I would think it is a fair bit longer ago than that. Essentially ANY motorised vehicle on the roads needs to be registered or have specific exemptions. This includes motorised eskies! A couple specific exemptions are motorised bicycles within limits and personal mobility scooters.

This did leave the police scratching their head with what they could charge this guy with. :lol:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:52 pm

trawling without a commercial permit?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 pm

human909 wrote: This did leave the police scratching their head with what they could charge this guy with. :lol:
why, what's he doing wrong? :P

Technically he's a "pedestrian" isn't he?

Can't have been "exceeding towing limit" as a mobility-aided pedestrian because there's no stated limit.

Obstructing vehicular traffic? But they gotta "give way to all pedestrians" so that won't count either.

I got overtaken by one of those things recently... I was cruising 40km/h thru Geelong back streets when he (a slightly more mature gent) cut in ahead to take a right at roundabout. That grannykart definitely pulling away from my old fullyloaded wagon... :oops:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Tamiya wrote:why, what's he doing wrong? :P
He's using a road for something other than driving a licensed motorvehicle. Must be a criminal activity, somehow. :P

I'd start with "obstructing traffic" if he's slow or "causing a public nuisance" if he's not. :mrgreen:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Tamiya wrote:why, what's he doing wrong? :P
:D
Well, everything surely! Its against all the laws! :wink:

He is driving unlicensed as he has lost his license;
-But you don't need a license to use the road or a mobility scooter

His trailer wasn't registered;
-Registering a trailer only applies for trailers being towed by 'motor vehicles', not mobility scooters

He is using a mobility scooter on the road;
-Totally legal, if using the footpath (if it exists) is not practical. Which clearly it isn't! :lol:

But, but, but he is travelling on the road with a trailer and a boat on a mobility scooter
-None of that is illegal per se.... Fundamental right for citizens to travel on the roads remains unless you can ping them on something else...

But he is causing an obstruction!
He is using the road. If he is moving and using it legally as a pedestrian then that isn't being an obstruction.

BUT, BUT, BUT!!!!

(I'm sure the police will try to pin something on him and probably succeed. And a magistrate will probably bend over backward to support the police because we care more about obedience to the norm than freedom in this country.)
Thoglette wrote:I'd start with "obstructing traffic" if he's slow or "causing a public nuisance" if he's not. :mrgreen:
Slow is specifically NOT an obstruction according to the road rules. Causing a public nuisance isn't a road rules offence, I'd argue that using the roads for transport is exactly what roads are for. If going slowly on the roads is a public nuisance then go ping every car in peak hour. Those drivers are being nuisances by driving and clogging up our roads!
Last edited by human909 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:42 pm

human909 wrote: BUT, BUT, BUT!!!!
ding ding ding ding we have a winner :P

You are right, in that pic it appears his Butt is Off the seat hence he can be considered Not in a Proper Control of the grannykart.

Same as if you try sitting sidesaddle on your bicycle, that's illegal too (so I'm told. Or have they amended that law too whilst I'm not looking)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 pm

human909 wrote:Slow is specifically NOT an obstruction according to the road rules.
But as you point out, that's not going to prevent Mr Plod laying the charge nor Her Honour upholding it. :mrgreen:

:idea: Clearly, if he's got to use a mobility device he can't afford a car. So how can he afford a boat. Seize the lot as proceeds of crime!! :idea:

(Moderators: I'm banning myself until I stop being silly )
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Thoglette wrote:
human909 wrote:Slow is specifically NOT an obstruction according to the road rules.
But as you point out, that's not going to prevent Mr Plod laying the charge nor Her Honour upholding it. :mrgreen:

:idea: Clearly, if he's got to use a mobility device he can't afford a car. So how can he afford a boat. Seize the lot as proceeds of crime!! :idea:

(Moderators: I'm banning myself until I stop being silly )
I'm going to miss Thoglette around here...

Cheers,

Cameron

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 pm

human909 wrote:This did leave the police scratching their head with what they could charge this guy with. :lol:
No life jacket?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:59 pm

mikesbytes wrote: No life jacket?
Afaik compulsory carriage &/or wearing only whilst on waterways, don't look like he's anywhere near a puddle :lol: although I've yet to go get my boat licence :?

Hmmm... I once "towed" a trailer with catamaran on a public road about 50m... pedestrian towing... hmm...

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 am

reminded me a bit of these..Image

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am