Spotted a special - Post it in here!

Ross

Re: Spotted a special - Post it in here!

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Pushys have free shipping again for two days, use code FREESHIP

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:19 am

Pushys yet again. 12% off sitewide excludes Wahoo, Commencal, Gift Cards, Garmin, Go Pro, Pioneer, Continental and Look bike/frames, use code BANG12
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am

Reid having a Click Frenzy sale tonight from 7pm onwards, for anyone who may be interested..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:38 am

Science in Sport are having a Black Friday month. This week's special is recovery powders.
They've also got some energy bars and various powders marked for clearance as they expire in January 2019. However if kept dry this stuff often keeps long term.

There's also a $20 off discount code for orders over $50, the code is SAVE-20
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 am

Because I got a new bike (well lightly used actually, a Cannondale Slate), I'm after a PM for it.

Spotted this ;
BikeBug have a 50% off sale on the Pioneer Cannondale Consumer Supplied Left Crank Power Meter for $399.

Duly sent off email clarifying the 'how', and got this reply ;

Hi Michael
That is still the case.
Here's a pre install check list that gives the clearances you need:
We generally allow 2 to 3 business days for installation upon receipt of your cranks here:
3/595 Princes Highway
Tempe NSW 2044
AUSTRALIA
After ordering send them in along with a copy of the order and the completed check list.
It is a Pioneer requirement that it is installed and calibrated here.

Now, the colour & highlight of the last sentence is mine. What a CROCK !! And what annoys me even more is that it's not stated anywhere in the ad.

Oh, I can take it off myself, but can't put it on and link it to my computer. How dumb is that. :evil: :evil: :evil:

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 am

Is the 40% off the Wiggle/c r c X Tools torque wrench at $42 a good buy? I thought these were always around this price? I never recall seeing it for the $75 they say is RRP?

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 am

MichaelB wrote:Because I got a new bike (well lightly used actually, a Cannondale Slate), I'm after a PM for it.

Spotted this ;
BikeBug have a 50% off sale on the Pioneer Cannondale Consumer Supplied Left Crank Power Meter for $399.

Hi Michael
That is still the case.
We generally allow 2 to 3 business days for installation upon receipt of your cranks here:
3/595 Princes Highway
Tempe NSW 2044
AUSTRALIA
After ordering send them in along with a copy of the order and the completed check list.

Now, the colour & highlight of the last sentence is mine. What a CROCK !! And what annoys me even more is that it's not stated anywhere in the ad.

Oh, I can take it off myself, but can't put it on and link it to my computer. How dumb is that. :evil: :evil: :evil:
What? The power meter is bonded to the crank and not user-removable. You can put the crank back on yourself. This is normal across crank based power meters.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am

I've seen with the Pioneer years ago when looking, that you could supply the cranks, specified a Shimano from memory, to have strain gauge meter bonded to the arm and calibrated. When everything was $1500+ at a time it seemed like a cheaper entry point option. These days not so much.

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:Because I got a new bike (well lightly used actually, a Cannondale Slate), I'm after a PM for it.

Spotted this ;

Hi Michael
That is still the case.
3/595 Princes Highway
Tempe NSW 2044
AUSTRALIA

I think you're confused, you send your crank into them and they bond the meter to cranks you supply. That's why it's cheaper.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Velt wrote:
I think you're confused, you send your crank into them and they bond the meter to cranks you supply. That's why it's cheaper.
Nope, not confused re what is done. It seems, per the Bike Bug email, a condition from Pioneer, is that they (BikeBug) fit it back to the bike and calibrate it.

The price is $399, as it's 50% off.

Update on the fitment stuff : Seems I can get it 'fitted' at the Adelaide store. Still a bit stoopid, but workable, especially for that price.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Isn't the issue that the calibration process for bonded powermeters is a bit of a convol;uted process? It's all based around the flex of the crank, hence why every single individual crank needs to be tested as they all flex slightly differently - its not a case of 'all Shimano Ultegra 6800 cranks are set at xyz calibration'. So you can't actually do it at home even if you wanted to?
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Abby wrote:Isn't the issue that the calibration process for bonded powermeters is a bit of a convol;uted process? It's all based around the flex of the crank, hence why every single individual crank needs to be tested as they all flex slightly differently - its not a case of 'all Shimano Ultegra 6800 cranks are set at xyz calibration'. So you can't actually do it at home even if you wanted to?
No idea ?

Thought that's what Pioneer would do at their facility when the pod is bonded on. Dunno what Bike Bug actually does to 'calibrate ' ? Meh.

Waiting for a confirmation email from BB to make sure I've understood it correctly.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Abby wrote:Isn't the issue that the calibration process for bonded powermeters is a bit of a convol;uted process? It's all based around the flex of the crank, hence why every single individual crank needs to be tested as they all flex slightly differently - its not a case of 'all Shimano Ultegra 6800 cranks are set at xyz calibration'. So you can't actually do it at home even if you wanted to?
No idea ?

Thought that's what Pioneer would do at their facility when the pod is bonded on. Dunno what Bike Bug actually does to 'calibrate ' ? Meh.

Waiting for a confirmation email from BB to make sure I've understood it correctly.
I think you still misunderstand. The meter would be bonded on by FRF Sports, who are Australia's Pioneer distributor (and owners of Bikebug), and then shipped back to you for reinstallation on the bike.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm

2wheels_mond wrote: I think you still misunderstand. The meter would be bonded on by FRF Sports, who are Australia's Pioneer distributor (and owners of Bikebug), and then shipped back to you for reinstallation on the bike.
Having read, and re-read it again, you may well be right !! :oops: Mind you, it could be interpreted either way, but what you are saying certainly makes sense :)

Either way, I'm ordering one :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:41 am

Yep. Understood that, but what I misinterpreted was that ‘they’ needed to install the crank back on the bike.

Maybe didn’t have enough coffee yesterday.

Anyway, ordered, measurements taken (it’s a bit close, but should be fine) crank removed and ready to be sent off today.

Interesting that Pioneer also want the pedal centreline length as well.

Anyway, getting posted today :-)

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 pm

i have ordered Pioneers twice from BB, during their specials and could not be happier with the price and service. Turn around time was great and WAY WAY WAY better than sending to 4II, which was the other option i considered.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm

colinmc400 wrote:i have ordered Pioneers twice from BB, during their specials and could not be happier with the price and service. Turn around time was great and WAY WAY WAY better than sending to 4II, which was the other option i considered.
Good to hear. Got sent today via Express post, so we'll see when it gets back !! :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:45 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Is the 40% off the Wiggle/c r c X Tools torque wrench at $42 a good buy? I thought these were always around this price? I never recall seeing it for the $75 they say is RRP?
According to my Previous Orders page, in July 2017 I bought one for $47 (rrp $50)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Mububban wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:Is the 40% off the Wiggle/c r c X Tools torque wrench at $42 a good buy? I thought these were always around this price? I never recall seeing it for the $75 they say is RRP?
According to my Previous Orders page, in July 2017 I bought one for $47 (rrp $50)
I've noticed this lately as well with Wiggle, overstated RRPs designed to give impression of big savings. So Wiggle get their marketing advice from Anaconda now?

This sort of thing irritates me, because it sort of indicates how the seller regards their customers.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:54 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Mububban wrote:
I've noticed this lately as well with Wiggle, overstated RRPs designed to give impression of big savings. So Wiggle get their marketing advice from Anaconda now?

This sort of thing irritates me, because it sort of indicates how the seller regards their customers.
Yeah I find it so weird that you get these "Black Friday" deal emails from companies and the prices are just the same prices they have had all year. Homeware places are another notorious industry misrepresenting correct RRP prices.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah the click-frenzy stuff was what irritated me as well, couldn't find a single good deal.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Yeah the click-frenzy stuff was what irritated me as well, couldn't find a single good deal.
same thing. nothing out of the ordinary.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Noticed over on the Quad Lock website you can get 30% off when using code QLBF18

Never used one but if you want one - check it out
https://www.quadlockcase.com.au/

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Just picked up a couple of pairs of bib shorts from Capo - $250 total for two pairs (I bought the SC and the Leggero), using code 'BIB' for the discount.

Great quality, really impressed. Plus I ordered Monday arvo and got them on Tuesday arvo! :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:36 am

MichaelB wrote:
colinmc400 wrote:i have ordered Pioneers twice from BB, during their specials and could not be happier with the price and service. Turn around time was great and WAY WAY WAY better than sending to 4II, which was the other option i considered.
Good to hear. Got sent today via Express post, so we'll see when it gets back !! :D
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

NOT HAPPY JAN !!!

Just received this email from FRF

Hello Bikebug and Michael,

It is Anderson from FRF Sports and Pioneer.

Just to let you know that unfortunately the Pioneer Power Meter system is not compatible with the latest Cannondale Si Crank arm like the one you sent to us, and only compatible with the old that has a flat back part.

So order 240968 from Michael is gonna be refunded to his payment method and crank arm is gonna be returned to the address provided on his order.

Really sorry about that.

Really narked about that. :x :x :x

Now gotta look at other options. Thought that $399 was a bargain.

Any recommendations ?

Have one option, which is a Quarq spider _ Si arms (the ones that would work :roll: ) but no axle (but have one of those now) at an LBS for $699.

May try and wangle a deal ....

EDIT : Props to FRF - they have offered to refund the postage without hassle, so gotta at least give them a thumbs up for that !!! :)