Kona Sutra LTD or Bomtrack Audax (or something else)

ark

Kona Sutra LTD or Bomtrack Audax (or something else)

Postby ark » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:15 pm

So its only been a few weeks on the bike for me, but im enjoying it and riding a fair bit.

I promised myself if i was going ot get into it, id allow myself to spend up and get a decent bike. So ive been doing a a lot of research.

Wants - steel, hydro disc brakes, minimum 105 or rival level groupset, drop bars, wide strong tires.

After a few test rides, it seems to be down to the Sutra LTD or Bombtrack Audax. Though I still havent been able to get on a Jamis Renegade Exploit because noone has them in stock.

Im a short stout guy 140kg 174cm so needs to be weight bearing - going to add racks and mudguards, because primary use will be work commute, but i want it to be fun on non-work days.

I really was hoping to buy ready to ride over the xmas break, that is likely off the table if i go with the bombtrack as none available in the medium til mid jan. Unsure of the Sutra LTD, will find out in the next few days.

Anything else i should be looking at? Pros/cons bombtack vs kona?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Kona Sutra LTD or Bomtrack Audax (or something else)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:20 pm

go over them with a fine tooth comb, in terms of warranty and wheel spec. Less-compact riders such as ourselves place greater demands on the wheels especially, and having to re-true the rear wheel constantly is a massive PITA. I'd be leaning towards the Kona as hear varying things about Bombtrack generally...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Looks like 99Bikes have stocks of the Norco Search XR Apex. If you are determined to have Rival you may have to wait.

https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-search ... ver-2019-1

They are taking pre-orders for the alloy frame 105 version.

https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-search ... ack-2019-1
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:14 am

I looked at the Bombtrack Audax last year. Was very heavy and gearing was crazy with a 28 on the back from memory. Hopefully they've fixed the gearing with the new models. I like RonK's suggestion above. The Norco Search is a great value bike.

ark

Postby ark » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Noone has any Norco Search Rivals i can test ride - ETA according to 99Bikes is March 2019.

I rerode th Sutra LTD today, its a very comfortable bike for my frame. Also because it was there, rode a Jamis Renegade Escapade (2018) model. both the Sutra and the Renegade are so comfortable to ride - the Sutra is at least a kilo or 2 heavier than the Jamis though.

No 2019 stock of the Jamis yet, but they expect it in the next week or so. I am sorely tempted to make an offer on the 2018 Escapade - its a little more than i wanted to spend, but it has Ultegra and so so light.

ark

Postby ark » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Ended up being a 2018 Jamis Renegade Escapade - pretty happy with it!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 am

Great, enjoy !!