Indicators and lights

Em563

Indicators and lights

Postby Em563 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,

Being new to road biking an being a long time motorcyclist, I am all about safety, and this means making myself visible.
I am thinking about purchasing a Meilan X5 light which has a wireless control for indicators and also laser road markers.

Has anyone used one?
Does anyone use indicators?

https://www.amazon.com/Meilan-Rechargea ... B01FLMMDOM

Thanks!

Tim

Re: Indicators and lights

Postby Tim » Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm

I read a few of the Amazon reviews and it sounds like cheap junk.
You'd be better off buying a good quality front and rear light. Forget about indicators, not necessary on a bike.
Here's a good start;https://www.pushys.com.au/accessories/lights.html, 480 to choose from. :)
Good luck on the new biking experience.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Em563 wrote:Does anyone use indicators?
Nope.

Gloves (or sleeves) with reflective bits on them feel like they help, sometimes. Stick your arm out with vigour!

Bright, broad lights with wide looms (especially if falls on the road) do help, (even though cars these days are equipped with these new fangled headlight things to avoid running into stuff :shock: ).

The young folk like their blinkies but I'm stuck in the past (and personally much prefer the visual quietness). There's no useful scientific consensus so do whatever gives you confidence without blinding other road users.

The big issue is the same as on your m'bike - cage drivers either don't look, don't see you (A-pillars and all that), don't "see" you or just DGAF.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun May 26, 2019 1:54 am

Em563 wrote:Hi all,

Being new to road biking an being a long time motorcyclist, I am all about safety, and this means making myself visible.
I am thinking about purchasing a Meilan X5 light which has a wireless control for indicators and also laser road markers.

Has anyone used one?

Thanks!
Is too narrow, hard to differentiate signalling vs any other Blinky rear light

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Em563 wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone used one?

Thanks!
As others have said, spend decent money and buy good lights - they are (imho) the most important safety feature you can get, and keep them on, even during the day. Indicators would be pointless on a bike as it'd be impossible to ascertain which side of the bike they were on from a distance - stick your hand out instead.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 pm

+another to the above comments. Scratch the indicator idea, pretty much all that I have seen have been poorly thought out gimmicks. Just bung a reflective band around each wrist, or at least your right; when on a bike, signalling left isn't legally required, although it's courteous to do so.

Good front & rear lights are essential for night/low light riding, but obnoxiously bright or poorly-aimed lights are counter-productive; they will dazzle and impair the vision of the people you're trying to get to see you, and then they won't. Aim the front light slightly downward - it's more effective for being seen when the full force of the beam is NOT being directed straight into the faces of the people you want to see you!

If using flashing lights, be aware of the effects of different flash rates. Very fast flashes are incredibly irritating to anyone within a mile radius; you're better off with a solid beam (which is also essential if you're also using the front light to see by). Slightly slower flash rates are less irritating and still very "loud" visually for other road users. Very slow flash rates make it difficult for other road users to track your speed and position; the faster you're going the worse it is, because you can cover a lot of ground while invisible between flashes.

And if you don't want a spanner or other nearby heavy implement thrown at you, turn the phuqing things OFF BEFORE wheeling your bike into a bike shop!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.