Can I ride on paths in Singapore?

ColinOldnCranky

Can I ride on paths in Singapore?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:27 pm

I will be heading to Singapore for a week and a half later in teh year and will be taking the unicycle with me.

There is nothing I have found yet on limits on non-powered unicycles. However, as far as I can tell bikes are have been allowed on footpaths in Singapore from some time after April 2016.

Does anyone have experience of biking in Singapore tat will give me an idea of how the local constabulary treat them.

It appears that SIngapore also now has MHL, a recent change. If anyone has any info on whether I am required to wear a helmet. It seems from what I can see I do not but I'd value any opinion to the contrary.

Also does anyone know what unpowered unicycles are classified as in Singapore. As near as I can determine they may be included with Personal Mobility Aids (PMAs).
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

piledhigher

Re: Can I ride on paths in Singapore?

Postby piledhigher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 pm

I have little to add of actual detail but.

I ran a decent amount in Singapore and the path connector network links numerous parks where it seems that Singapore exercises. They mirror Melbourne's bike paths in following the rivers and creeks. Definitely didn't see any police and mixed helmet use.

BrianDamage

Postby BrianDamage » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I was in Singapore with the family last July and we used share bikes (Ofo, Mobike) as well as escooters. We rode everywhere, shared paths, parks and harbourside without helmets or any issues or second looks. Hadn't heard anything about MHL coming in.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 pm

I've asked a Singaporean cyclist who lives in Sydney.

He says you can ride the unicycle on the footpath and are not allowed to ride it on the road
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Was in SG earlier in the year.

Think a unicycle would be considered more of a toy than a legit road vehicle :) I'd stay on the paths... SG has spent zillions putting in 700km of paths in recent years, might as well use them! Plenty of hoverboard and eBike/eScooters on the paths anyway.

Whereas the roads are nice & straight but kerbs are like a foot high, suburban speed limits are 60, 80 up to 110 km/h on Expressways (yes I found some cyclists on the CTE). Drivers are all in a hurry, local drivers might be ok at spotting smaller road users but gotta beware of clueless nonlocals/expats driving jetlagged.

No MHL afaik but see them worn by most 'fast' cyclists... yep those highway bikers had their styro hats. But grandpa tootling to the shops or trainstation on the paths usually don't. As it should be!!

Nice place to cycle with all the neat paths (& some are covered by roofing or built under elevated train lines); only negative is the heat. Oh boy is it hot!! Can be 30+ even at midnight, the only cool time might be dawn hours. Sweating doesn't cool as well in the high humidity.