Ditch the non-aerodynamic rear rack for a 15L saddle bag?

Wollemi

Ditch the non-aerodynamic rear rack for a 15L saddle bag?

Postby Wollemi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:04 pm

I tend to be moving more to long day trips than overnight cycle touring.
167km all of the Putty Rd in a day was done by 3 trains to Singleton, stay in a pub, and cycled with a back-pack. Yay + ugh!
90km, with 1700m climbing Tarana-Bathurst-Oberon-Tarana with one pannier on a rear rack. Amazing countryside. 12 hrs.
110km, with 900m climbing Sydney Airport-Cooks River-M5-M7-Windsor Rd-Richmond with a Topeak slide-on rear-rack bag. Bit small, though.

Should I ditch the rack for one of those oversized 15L Saddle Bags? Would I reduce drag by not have a chunky rack?

As I am not the fastest cyclist out there, running 700x32C tyres to max 80psi on my CX. Or just leave the rack on?, and be a responsible person and carry a down jacket and proper first-aid kit (+ extra lights, small DSLR camera, extra 500mL water/protein shake, battery bank).
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

nickobec

Re: Ditch the non-aerodynamic rear rack for a 15L saddle bag?

Postby nickobec » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:44 am

A little like you, I ride to races, race, take photos, ride home shattered. So need to pack camera/s, drone, warm kit just in case, food etc.

Been using a backpack, but at times it is a pain, especially on a TT bike for 30km before a race.

So looking for bags that could easily be removed and spread the load across the bike, a rear rack or big saddle bag will place too much weight over the rear wheel and effect the handling.

Ended up watching
So went to Aliexpress and ordered a matching handlebar bag and frame bag, if I like them, I will get the matching saddle bag and top tube bag (same brand as his top tube bag, RockBros, liked the look, the waterproofing and the review he gave)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:46 am

Bugger all drag in the rack - it's the bag hanging out the side that slows you down. And if you're only running one, causes a list to one side

i've gone to rack top bags, primarily because it's waaay cheaper than the rack mount and o/size saddle bag options currently in-vogue. Especially if you don't need to buy new.

Probably the most aero option is the Topeak MTX range. (Yes you need that funky strip of aluminum on their rack by default)
e.g. the DX @9L
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:18 pm

If you are doing long day trips, then that means your are likely to want to actually get stuff in and out of the bag relatively frequently. IMHO the seat pack type bags are not suited to this, as they are a bit fiddly to pack and close etc. Frame bags are the same. Both are probably better for overnight touring where you have the time to unpack and repack etc.

Panniers are relatively easy to access, but as you say, not so aerodynamic. The best solution I think is either a rack top bag (as posted by @thoglette above) or a handlebar bag. By handlebar bag I mean something like a Ortlieb ultimate 6, with easy access lid, not a roll type bag, which is harder to access. Both of those options are very easy to open and access, and with good mounting systems easy to take on and off, so you can take it with into a shop etc. If you are carrying heavier stuff, then the rack top is probably best.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 pm

All the above a bit ho-hum these days. A truly innovative solution would be an Aeroe Bike Pack.
Offered in a number of sizes and various mounting options.

https://aeroe.com/collections/all

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Yeah, nah. https://aeroe.com/pages/support - in the bottom left of the quadrat > what is the cable leading to the seat of the bicycle? Is it a dropper post with an aeroe.com fitting on the upper and lower section, thereby cancelling out the dropper posts ability to work?
Maybe aerodynamic is passe - Mark Beaumont had a huge handlebar-mounted rig cycling the length of Africa.
And... https://theradavist.com/2017/01/benedic ... -buggie/#2

What would be truly innovative would be an adaptive way of using a square or tapered DSLR camera-bag as a handlebar bag - I have many.
I imagine I could use 4mm plywood on the inside of tapered camera bags, and just bolt it directly to the front forks. (Yes, getting away from the single-day tour idea, though). Would need these (bolts welded onto hose clamps - seen at very bottom left of page); http://www.kingcage.com/index.php?products=yes
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Ortlieb have a specific DSLR case. It is an insert that goes in the ultimate handlebar bag
https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/ultimate-camerainsert