Front bags or rear bags?

vitellan

Front bags or rear bags?

Postby vitellan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 pm

I am planning a trip along the Danube from the black forest to Budapest
Staying in motels, bed and Breakfast ect.
Only taking one pair of panniers and a trunk bag
Now i have seen some people with the bags on the front wheel instead of the back
Is this a new thing? Does it have any merit?

robbo mcs

Re: Front bags or rear bags?

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 pm

You can usually only fit small panniers on the front, whereas on the rear you can fit small or large.

Some claim that front mounting has advantages, better balances the bike, better handling etc. Others state exactly the opposite, saying they hate how it handles with weight on the front. It depends to some degree on your setup and the geometry of your bike as well as your preference. Also might depend on your other bags, eg handlebar bag? etc

If you are taking a trunk bag, then presumably you are mounting this on top of a rear rack? If so I would try out your current setup with panniers on the rear and do some trial rides to see how you like it, before trying a front rack which costs $, adds weight and complexity.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm

I have ridden sections of the Mundi Biddi Trail on an older Giant XTC mountain bike where I had panniers on the front only. I don't recall it causing me any problems.

That said as @robbo_mcs suggests, it does limit your carrying capacity which may not be a bad thing anyway.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Bear in ind that my experience, while substantial, is pre 21st century.

Adding panniers to the front affects steering adversely and the mass you can carry there is less than what you could do in the rear. However, on the rear, especially with "performance" type bikes with short chain stays, put a LOT of extra stress on spokes. I was stranded three times from spokes breaking and there wre'nt mobile phones on which to call for support. Eventually I respoked with shorter spokes ( NOT stainless steel, they fracture easier) and one extra cross over in the lacing.

Bearing mind my biking experience is from the days of spoked wheels, I would go with rear panniers and strengthe the rear wheel.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 pm
Bear in ind that my experience, while substantial, is pre 21st century.

Adding panniers to the front affects steering adversely and the mass you can carry there is less than what you could do in the rear. However, on the rear, especially with "performance" type bikes with short chain stays, put a LOT of extra stress on spokes. I was stranded three times from spokes breaking and there wre'nt mobile phones on which to call for support. Eventually I respoked with shorter spokes ( NOT stainless steel, they fracture easier) and one extra cross over in the lacing.

Bearing mind my biking experience is from the days of spoked wheels, I would go with rear panniers and strengthe the rear wheel.
The reasons you discuss are part of the reason many people now go for a bikepacking setup. A frame bag allows you to put your heavy stuff in the centre of the bike, where the load is balanced between front and rear wheels. It doesn't adversely affect handling, and less stress on the wheels. You can then put your lighter stuff in a handlebar bag/roll, seat pack or rack pack etc. Less need for a dedicated heavy duty touring bike as well

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm

The reasons you discuss are part of the reason many people now go for a bikepacking setup. A frame bag allows you to put your heavy stuff in the centre of the bike, where the load is balanced between front and rear wheels. It doesn't adversely affect handling, and less stress on the wheels. You can then put your lighter stuff in a handlebar bag/roll, seat pack or rack pack etc. Less need for a dedicated heavy duty touring bike as well
But what is heavy? If you are not camping then it would be I suppose shoes and souvenirs which wouldn't work that well in a frame bag where everything has to be narrow. Elsewhere someone suggested water bladder and tools. How much water does a non-camping rider need?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm

zebee wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm
robbo mcs wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm

But what is heavy? If you are not camping then it would be I suppose shoes and souvenirs which wouldn't work that well in a frame bag where everything has to be narrow. Elsewhere someone suggested water bladder and tools. How much water does a non-camping rider need?
What is heavy are tools, spares and water. How much you need depends on conditions but you need carrying capacity for around 4 litres. Shoes go on your feet, not in your luggage. Souvenirs? Who wants to load unnecessary weight?

Here’s how I bikepacked for a month in NZ carrying cooking and camping gear, food for a week and clothing/gear for autumn temps. This arrangement weighs over 8kg less than my previous full-dress touring setup and the bike is so much easier to handle.

If I wasn’t camping I wouldn’t need the Anything bags on the forks and probably wouldn’t need the frame bag either.

http://wheelswhisper.blogspot.com/2017/ ... d-few.html
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 am

Just to put bikers touring problems in perspective, spare a thought for MY tribe when touring - idiot Unicyclists.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

OMGosh? Is there anything this guy left home?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

vitellan

Postby vitellan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks all
I have a 2008 Cannondale T1, had it from new as a commuter
i think i will stick to the rear bags
As to the unicycle touring, just no.
Change of topic
Does anyone have any worn out 700 x 40 - 45mm tyres
i just want to see if they fit nicely under the guards before buying some
The Mavic 719 rims i have can go up to 47mm