Touring Clothing

Peter A

Re: Touring Clothing

Postby Peter A » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:12 am

Some excellent tips re clothing in the thread, thanks :mrgreen:
Haven't done much touring, bought a Ground Effect w/proof jacket with zip off sleeves in preparation, wear it regularly, more often this time of yr w/o sleeves. Like it very much! Bright orange colour, be seen - be safe!
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... ain-jacket
Intend wearing roadie bibs and carry other stuff for off the bike. Include long sleeved wool tops for that nasty cold front that might come thru'.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

I suggest you look at NZO Active gear. The styling of their clothing is presentable anywhere. Their Dobies shorts are acclaimed even by bikepacking.com. I have pair myself, and can attest to their comfort. For longs look at the Dusters.
I favour Icebreaker merino but have used other brands successfully. Merino is less durable but doesn't get smelly, and I can usually find a laundromat every few days. I wear Icebreaker merino boxers under my Dobies, three pairs in rotation, and always carry leggings and a top for camp/nightwear.
For outer layers in cool weather I prefer arm and leg warmers with a gilet for versatility, a necessity when using bikepacking bags with limited carrying capacity.

NZO stocks tend to sell out very quickly so grab ‘em while you can. New stocks have just arrived so I've ordered a pair of Dusters for myself.

https://www.nzoactive.com/collections/women
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Ronk - thank for the NZO suggestion. Had never heard of them. Their shorts/ trousers look good. Just emailed them with a few questions about shipping/ and import taxes when shipped to the Netherlands. If that does not get too pricey I need to do a size check to make sure I do order the correct size and will very likely go for the Dobies and Duster.

Good to know that merino underwear works well with these shorts and that a laudromat usually can be found every few days. That takes the strain of not being able to change clothes for days on end.

Leggings I will also bring to wear under shorts, if ned be, or with a top as nightwear.

You mention that you also bring leg warmers but how do they hold up under Dobies? Do they not slide down?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 pm

iNGE wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm
You mention that you also bring leg warmers but how do they hold up under Dobies? Do they not slide down?
Yes, they do sag a bit, but seem to settle after pulling them up a few times.
I'm using Ground Effect (another NZ company) arm and leg warmers. They have good strong elastic and I have the legs to hold them up. :D

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Lucky you 😁 to have the legs to keep 'em up.
NZ stuff is nice but costs very often a fortune to get here.

I use grip grap leg warmers and they do fine with my bibs. Will give it a go with shorts at some point and find out how they hold up. For arm warmers I have an American brand - not as good as the gribgrap but okay for my arms.

For clothes to take I am now thinking for on and off the bike along the lines of (- keep in mind I am not going bikepacking style. Though I do try to go as lightweight as and versatile as possible) :
3x boxers
3x bra
3x icebreaker socks
1x sealskinz socks - I think, but am not yet sure about. Suggestions?
2x short-sleeved icebreaker shirts
2x long sleeved shirts icebreaker (1 will be my pyjama top)
1x long sleeved icebreaker blouse with spf 50
1x mtb shorts (or are 2 better on a very long, 1 year, trip?)
1x long trousers
1x icebreaker tights (pyjama bottoms or can be worn under shorts)
1 windblokker (gillet)
1 down jacket
set of arm and legwarmers
1x rain jacket and trousers
1 set of shoes
1 set of slippers

What I am not sure about is if I will be better of with 3 short-sleeved shirts for with arm warmers they become long sleeved, and bring 1 long sleeved shirt (instead of 2) and blouse. Ronk, or others, if you have any suggestions - though slightly off topic - I would really welcome your thoughts.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:30 pm

I think your packing list is quite rational for a year long tour, and is fairly similar to my own. Your choice of long sleeves/short sleeves with arm warmers really depends on how much you feel the cold and also where and when you will tour. However winters here are much milder than in Europe, and summers are hot and getting hotter year by year.
Generally I find arm warmers are warmer than long sleeve bike jerseys. Either way I think you will have Australian conditions covered.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Something I suggest you add is a set of ultralight running shorts, the kind that have the built in briefs, and a top. These add very little to your load but it's good to have something to wear while the rest of your gear is in the laundromat.

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Ronk - thanks for the additions. You mention short sleeves+armwarmers/ long sleeve shirts depending on how much one feels the cold - well, I feel the cold pretty rapid. What would your advice then be? (btw plan is to leave Perth at the end of may/ Mid June towards Esperance and then head inland towards Kalgoorlie, Great Central road, Alice springs, back towards the coast via eg Oodnadatta track and follow Great Ocean Road towards Sydney (where I plan to end towards the end of May/ mid June a year later.). The thing with arm warmers is they are more versatile than a long sleeved shirt hence the thought. But then when things get a lot warmer I could always mail some items home.

About the amount of shorts to bring I am not sure yet. What would you do 1 or 2 and why? And how available is good mtb clothing throughout OZ? Or is it a matter of ordering them in?

Good tip about ultralight running shorts + mega light top - will add that to my list.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:03 pm

No expert on cycle touring iNGE but done a lot of bushwalking etc, Victoria based Alpine area, South East Australia.

If you are out in the elements every day/night, camping out, enduring the variable weather, you WILL toughen up and at the end of the 12 months will wonder how soft you were when you commenced.

Enjoy the wander!

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes, I agree arm warmers are more versatile. June to August is winter here, and in the outback and inland Australia subzero temperatures at night are not uncommon, but daytime temperatures are much warmer.
You are not going to find laundromats in the outback however, so another pair of shorts is probably wise.
You will need plenty of water along the Great Central Road and will probably need an Extrawheel or similar trailer to carry it.
Btw, you are not the first Dutch girl to cycle this way. If you don't already know of her it would be worth your time to read her blog and get in contact for her advice.

https://cyclingdutchgirl.com/

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Peter A - I know I will toughen up but since I am starting in winter time.... I like to stay warm and toasty.

Ronk - Thanks for the advice on the extra shorts - was already leaning towards that and is nioce that you confirmed my feeling about this. Maybe I should then simply pack arm/ leg warmers + long sleeved shirt so that I can alternate and when it gets warmer ship them home or forward them. The sleeping bag I am using keeps me nice and warm up to -2celsius. when it gets that cold i will be wearing long sleeves + tights + bag hoody and/ or a beanie.
You mention that daytime temps are quite a bit higher - what can I expect? Somewhere between 15-20 celsius?
I know I will need plenty of water along Great Central. But do not want to bring a trailer. I am opting for front + rear bags + frame bag + handlebar bag + saddle bag. My front carrier can carry besides lowrider bags also something on top (Tubus grand expedition - https://www.tubus.com/en/products/front ... ion-front/). I will be cycling on a Santos 3+ (https://www.santosbikes.com/nl/fietsen/ ... elmaster-3) with 2.5/ 2.8" tyres on 27.5" rims.

Am nearly ready to order some nzo shorts/ trousers. Will not go for de the dobies but for the scuffers. I like the looks of them better and they are cut the same as Dobies according to some reviews I read. Dobies I would not wear in town for I think the stitching of the padding is too visible and the scuffers I would. Am waiting for a reply from them on which size to order.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am

Inge, you may have already found GJ Coop's website, Cycle Trails Australia.

If not, you'll find a lot of useful information about your proposed route.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Not sure if it helps but a few thoughts....
Coming from this merino and wool sector as a grower thru to trader and understanding wool as a product in the whole textile market, suggest you can now do better than icebreaker. I am a long, long term IB user and found what the do is all good but they have been let down with mixed results in the textile processing. They are now part of the mega VF groups which is fine, but I consider it important to support the smaller more focused organisations.
For womens items suited to long term biking, try ioMerino from Aust https://iomerino.com/collections/womens
or from NZ
mons royale.... https://nz.monsroyale.com/womens
I doubt anyone in the world knows wool better than ioMerino but I have not used this stuff for longer tours
Also if you are lucky aldi do runs of merino under and outwear items which are soft, cheap and not so ugly but they have limited life so you need to buy three items to make the life of two higher icebreaker priced goods. The boxer shorts work really well in unpadded shorts.

FWIW this crowd make merino excellent kit which I rate way higher than icebreaker. I have given a long sleeve merino tshirt a good hard life across tropics and below the 40th parallel south and I consider it a five star garment and still looks new(ish). I also like the canvas shorts and pants and would not hesitate to try the new bike shorts they have put out.
https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/clothin ... omens.html

Also ibex are back in business and I did rate the bike products they made in the past very highly. ( https://ibex.com/) Give them and howies https://howies.co.uk/collections/womens ... ase-layers a look?
If you do go merino, try and find Corespun made items as it gives all the best properties of 100% wool as it lasts longer, wont sag and is easier to dry on the run after under tap, in sink hotel or hostel washing.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Oh, and another thought, when riding during the day in the dry Aust summer and away from the humidity of the coast, you can pick up from any of the larger supermarkets a white or just off white 100% wool underwear tshirt that will work well for both reflecting the sun and cooling as it wicks away sweat. Bonus is when it gets cold at night you can layer them up under other base layers.

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Ronk - thanks for the pointing out of GJ Coop's website - but had already found that one. He is kinda the reason I am planning to ride thru OZ the way I am. MY first thought was riding coastal all the way from Perth to Sydney.

Baabaa- whoah - that is a lot to process. Thanks for all this brilliant info. Will have a look over the weekend at all the sites you mention. Hope that shipping costs from OZ/ NZ will not become deal breakers.

What do you mean by Corespun made items? Or is that merino mixed with a different material?

Thanks for the white underwear tip. If that is made of merino I will be fine wearing it but I cannot stand plain woll - gives me a rash and constant itch.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:20 pm

For climate data our BOM is your guide...

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 3017.shtml

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Okay wool next to skin can be a no go for some people.
That said I think modern merino can be very soft. In your case I would suggest sending IO Merino an email to see if they would be a part sponsor of your trip as they maybe able to pick put a fabric which ay work. Explain your trip and you thoughts on wool and see what they say. No harm in trying and they can only say no.
Re your trip, Perth to Esperance along the coast is a great ride. From that point north it is big country riding and not to be taken lightly. One of my hardest rides ever was the Esperance to Balladonia track. I think any riding east of the South Australia/ NSW border becomes easier as the distances between towns can still be vast, but you do see more people on the road and if you feel at least a little spooked or put off on any given day you can ride into a property/ farm and in most cases the owners or managers will take you under a wing and look after you for a bit.
In regard to a euro visitor doing the real outback which you mention I would highly recommend Koens blog on his current ride in Australia https://bike-a-way.com/
His landscape, animals and vegetation photos are world class ( as you really do see more by bike ) and even as a Dutchy, I think he "gets" the Australian bush and people more so than most Australians. Also look at his gear list....and he rides a Santos

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Yep, regular wool indeed causes major annoyances but with soft merino I am fine - hence the IB shirts I gladly wear. A wash or two with vinnagar also helps to make it softer and does not cause harm to the fabric.

I just sent iomerino an email concerning their sizing for I like their designs. Might try out a shirt or two and some undies.

I know that the riding after Esperance will be quite tough but am up for the challenge. I am following Koen on his journey and am in touch with him with the occasional question when need be. He indeed also rides Santos though with 26" tyres. I am confident that I can do a similar trip across country just need to pace myself and prepare well. Have looked at his gear list and will get in touch with him when I kinda have finalised mine for advice. He is the reason I am adding a frame bag to my setup - was his advice to use for the amounts of water that need to be carries at times, not forget the copious amounts of food.

I actually am looking forward to the remote(r) parts of the trip and doing bushcamping.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 08, 2020 11:44 am

Just throwing some ideas around in re a refresh of my kit with hopefully a month or thereabout riding late winter/spring here in WA. One aspect that I am considering is waterproof shorts (or maybe trousers) but shorts most likely.

Cass Gilbert's review of the Ground Effect Helter Skelters suggests they look promising. Anyone had experience with same or other "waterproof" shorts or other options.

I have couple of concerns with respect to the weight (220+ grams) but more importantly how well they pack down. Space is a premium when bikepacking.

As I get older I think I want a little more comfort when bikepacking and touring :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 pm

I have helter skelters... any sign of rain and they are in the frame bag, initially I got them for commuting but makes a big difference keeping that little bit more dry in the rainy days so part of my bikepacking kit, subject to forecast. Only issue is I did got a size to big and forever pulling them up, might actually fit better if the isolation keeps up.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks, Cancan64. How do you find the packed size?

iNGE

Postby iNGE » Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Aushiker - I have full length berghaus Paclite rainpants https://int.berghaus.com/on/demandware. ... pid=432373. That weigh 180 grams. So for 3/4 length I think Helter Skelters are pretty heavy. The Paclite also pack away very small. Just to give you something else to think about :wink:

I like that they have a 3/4 length zippers so that you can open them when cycling to let air in. I have a size l (33"") and am 1.73 cm - to give you an idea about their size.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm
Thanks, Cancan64. How do you find the packed size?
Pretty good, I roll it fairly long and keep it in the top section of frame bag with the water bladder. I do have the 3/4 length ones, in case they have changed. I also think they fit has been improved, mine are a few years old
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 08, 2020 8:05 pm

iNGE wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm
Aushiker - I have full length berghaus Paclite rainpants https://int.berghaus.com/on/demandware. ... pid=432373. That weigh 180 grams. So for 3/4 length I think Helter Skelters are pretty heavy. The Paclite also pack away very small. Just to give you something else to think about :wink:

I like that they have a 3/4 length zippers so that you can open them when cycling to let air in. I have a size l (33"") and am 1.73 cm - to give you an idea about their size.

I did start my investigation looking at running pants in the sub 100 g range (e.g., the Montane Podium) but do accept that a comprise on weight may be necessary for functionality.

Then again, when I am bikepacking I am hardly riding fast, often averaging 15 to 20 km/h over ~ 75 km days so maybe the lightweight full length over trousers may be acceptable. How they will wear is however the big question.

Your Berghaus Paclite trousers look like a reasonable option too. I think I can cope with the extra 30 grams :). Packing away very small is a big plus.