Commuter rebuild - Specialized Allez 2010

zedries

Commuter rebuild - Specialized Allez 2010

Postby zedries » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi all -My name is Zaahir, a reasonably recent return to cycling and could possibly be called a MAMIL.

Have been on this forum for a few years benefiting from all the ideas and knowledge so I thought I should at least make a post about my tragically old Specialized Allez 2010 which I grabbed in my return to road bikes a couple of years ago... I have a trek madone that I ride for longer trips and the odd triathlon (which I'm not at all good at) but this old girl was a little under appreciated so when the BB started making a noise i decided it was time for an upgrade/rebuild.

Originally this is a 2x8 a6 speed with old sora thumb shifters and a mixed groupset. I briefly upgraded it to a newer 9 speed shifter set which was amazing for an upgrade (as well as a pair of campy eurus wheels) but the front chain rings and the drive train just didn't do what I needed for a crisp ride.

Aaaanyay, I decided a budget upgrade/rebuild was needed as a bit of an iso project and to keep me out of trouble and use up some of the spray paint i had laying around from another project.

Here's a before pic:

zedries

Re: Commuter rebuild - Specialized Allez 2010

Postby zedries » Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 pm

So I gathered some bits and pieces from my paint and sanding supply necessary for the job

then set to work stripping the frame and cleaning all the components I would be re-using

I didn't take too many pics of the cleaning. Let's just say there was a bit of dirt and grease and sanding through all those stickers was a mission. Had to go through to bare metal just to make sure I had good adhesion with an etch primer.

Whilst I was at it I test fitted my new BB. The previous BB is a tapered job but these hollowtech styles are much easier on the eye and the gold happened to match some paint I had in the garage:

once it was all sanded and taped up I primered it all up

then I applied the first layer of paint I wanted for the graphics

Ordered some graphics and also had cut the Allez for the top tube and chain stay because I couldn't find anyone who had this ready made. It's not an easy exercise so I think i'm going to invest in a vinyl cutter at some stage as I'm often painting and stuck without the graphics I want being available on line.

I then applied the top coat over the graphics and remainder of the frame.The forks and headtube were done in a dark metallic grey and that colour faded into a slightly lighter metallic graphite.

please feel free to laugh at my dodgy paint stand - but it works so I'm happy with it.

Here are some pics after I peeled the decals and then did a clear coat. Unfortunately I didn't have the 2K in a can for this which I would have preferred. I'm presently waiting for the paint to properly cure then I can fix a couple of runs and compound polish.

With clear coat:

zedries

Postby zedries » Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Next was assembly.

I managed to get a hold of a pair of 105 6700 10spd shifters (the ones that have the cable under the bar tape), a 105 compact crank and also a FSA gossamer 53/39 and fitted both to see how it went. 105 brake callipers, a nice KMC chain, a "used" but never really used 105 cassette (12/24 i think) and all new cables, both inner and outer.Also nabbed a pair of near new old stock 105 pedals for $15. I think all the parts together cost me $160 and the majority of that being the shifters.

assembled and awaiting indexing below. You can see i have gone with the compact 105 crankset for now... I'll test it out next week and see how that goes considering I'm going to have to be riding hills once we all go back to the office.

Not quite finished yet as I have to still rub down a couple of clear coat runs but broadly i'm happy with it.

I'll post more pics of the paint once I get it outside in the light and have taken her for a half decent test ride.

Can recommend bike strip and rebuild during iso for sanity/10. This is the first bike I've rebuilt end to end in probably 20 years and reminded me why I love painting again.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 pm

I set up my daughter's new bike that was my wife's unused one, so a few adjustments and hot ups. I had a pink rear rack basket, but it was too much pink, so used an old truck wheel chrome spray on it I had from car/4WD/motorcycle play 15yrs ago... came up beautifully. It won't have longevity (unless I clear coated more) but pink scuffs coming through are fine, as it's a mesh it won't all get rubbed off so should age well... or else just respray.

I have a vintage tandem I wanted to keep original, but the green base is temping me to use it as a camo forest green, and there are camo BMX tyres I can run with a geared hub wheelset intended for it...

zedries

Postby zedries » Wed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm

eldavo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 pm
I set up my daughter's new bike that was my wife's unused one, so a few adjustments and hot ups. I had a pink rear rack basket, but it was too much pink, so used an old truck wheel chrome spray on it I had from car/4WD/motorcycle play 15yrs ago... came up beautifully. It won't have longevity (unless I clear coated more) but pink scuffs coming through are fine, as it's a mesh it won't all get rubbed off so should age well... or else just respray.

I have a vintage tandem I wanted to keep original, but the green base is temping me to use it as a camo forest green, and there are camo BMX tyres I can run with a geared hub wheelset intended for it...
Yeah it's always a difficulty to decide what to do about original colours. I think often i'm drawn to keeping things original but then with this bike I decided to just keep it in a similar style with the same model, just a different year. That way the puritan in me only slightly balks at what I have done.

I have a "vintage" steel bike I'm also rebuilding.. after tearing down the lawyers of crappy paint I found that it was originally blue so I'm going to do an update of that at some stage.

Care to post some pictures of your "pink" seat bike?