Britain's Boris goes Bike Bonkers

uart

Britain's Boris goes Bike Bonkers

Postby uart » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 am

Not sure if this has been already mentioned here, but Britain's Boris Johnson is really putting out some good initiatives to promote cycling at the moment. Very good to see. :D

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... now-460776

https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 41986.html

brumby33

Re: Britain's Boris goes Bike Bonkers

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:35 am

Yeah uart, I seen an article the other day stating that Boris Johnson was indeed an active Bicycle Commuter in his days before becoming PM or leading up to it and showed a pic of him on his bicycle, looked just like a hybrid city type bike, nothing fancy but all in all, he was doing it.

So it looks like he's doing this on a Federal level rather than just a local level so it'll be coming out of the federal coffers which is good, and it'd be not only good for the environment but also jobs and new business enterprises and as you know, one business leas off to another opportunity for cafes and local small supermarkets. More employed bicycle mechanics could actually be seen as a trade that can support apprentices etc.

The Federal Government could do a lot more for Australians too by making the purchase of a bicycle or maybe a lease payment structure and maintenance tax deductable. The States could bring in the laws to legally protect vulnerable road users and people will take that up.

It's no co-incidence that Japanese people in their own Country are some of the worlds slimmest and it's because they walk a lot and they ride a lot and those who do drive are often walking a lot in other facets of their daily lives. It helps when local Authorities force you to prove you have a registered car space in order to own a car in the first place.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am

brumby33 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:35 am
It's no co-incidence that Japanese people in their own Country are some of the worlds slimmest and it's because they walk a lot and they ride a lot and those who do drive are often walking a lot in other facets of their daily lives.
Yes, I have some friends have had cycling trips over there (Japan) and they have been very positive about the experience.

Re Boris's plans, this is probably the biggest pro cycling push we've ever seen in an English speaking country. He's even touting the idea as cycling for therapy (on the Nation Health) for the obese.
In his foreword to the new plans, Mr Johnson writes: “All of us, cyclists and non-cyclists alike, have suddenly found out what it is like to have streets where you can breathe clean air, hear the birds singing at noon, and walk or ride in safety. We have all noticed the new found safety on our roads with fewer cars hurtling down our streets, near our homes and our gardens and our schools.”

“That is why this document aims to kick off the most radical change to our cities since the arrival of mass motoring.”
Last edited by uart on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 am

uart wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am
brumby33 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:35 am
It's no co-incidence that Japanese people in their own Country are some of the worlds slimmest and it's because they walk a lot and they ride a lot and those who do drive are often walking a lot in other facets of their daily lives.
Yes, I have some friends who have cycling trips over there (Japan) and they have been very positive about the experience.

Re Boris's plans, this is probably the biggest pro cycling push we've ever seen in an English speaking country. He's even touting the idea as cycling for therapy (on the Nation Health) for the obese.
In his foreword to the new plans, Mr Johnson writes: “All of us, cyclists and non-cyclists alike, have suddenly found out what it is like to have streets where you can breathe clean air, hear the birds singing at noon, and walk or ride in safety. We have all noticed the new found safety on our roads with fewer cars hurtling down our streets, near our homes and our gardens and our schools.”

“That is why this document aims to kick off the most radical change to our cities since the arrival of mass motoring.”
I never went to Japan yet with the bike. But I can say that the experience is similar where I normally ride in rural France away from the big cities. You can ride wherever you want and have no dramas with cars, trucks or buses.

Even riding a road-bike makes no difference, if you are on a bicycle, you'll have no problems in those areas. Nice as well right down in the south is okay as well. It's more busy but still okay.

I'm not really following Boris Johnson much, but if that foreword is correct, he's absolutely right. When the roads were clear of traffic, the riding experience was excellent.

Cycling is a great way to get fit as well.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm

While I agree with the sentiment of these proposals the record of delivery on promises of the current UK government is so poor that the percentage delivered would hardly move the needle on a dial meter. Also IMHO this is pretty much a high profile 'look over there' manoeuvre by the government to detract from the list of cack-ups they have managed to accumulate over Covid, Britexit, NHS, budget expenditure etc. etc. over the past while.

Sadly I can see this ending up as a lot of pamphlets, some TV ads and a few sharrows painted on the road in a couple of high streets.

Richard

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:50 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm
While I agree with the sentiment of these proposals the record of delivery on promises of the current UK government is so poor that the percentage delivered would hardly move the needle on a dial meter. Also IMHO this is pretty much a high profile 'look over there' manoeuvre by the government to detract from the list of cack-ups they have managed to accumulate over Covid, Britexit, NHS, budget expenditure etc. etc. over the past while.

Sadly I can see this ending up as a lot of pamphlets, some TV ads and a few sharrows painted on the road in a couple of high streets.

Richard
But Boris has the history of making London more cycling friendly when he was mayor.

At least he is the go to example of conservatives that are friendly towards cycling and did make cycling infra built.

Wonder if the conservatives here can do the same.