SRAM NX Eagle vs Shimano m61000

joel0201

SRAM NX Eagle vs Shimano m61000

Postby joel0201 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 am

Hey guys I’m looking at getting a full group set,
I’m looking at either the NX Eagle or the Shimano M6100 for my giant stance 27.5.
I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on each?
I can’t find any comparison between the two! If anyone does know of a comparison add in the link!
Thank you

trailgumby

Re: SRAM NX Eagle vs Shimano m61000

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:06 pm

joel0201 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 am
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a full group set,
I’m looking at either the NX Eagle or the Shimano M6100 for my giant stance 27.5.
I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on each?
I can’t find any comparison between the two! If anyone does know of a comparison add in the link!
Thank you
Assuming you mean 12-speed, the consensus from the reviews I've read comparing equivalent groupsets between the two manufacturers is the shifting under load of Shimano is substantially superior. Cost is also less and the ratios more evenly spread.

I haven't ridden both but can advise that with my XT-equipped race bike I don't have to think about easing off the pedals to shift gears. No crunching, nothing. It just does it without protesting. Considering how many 10-speed chains I've broken in the back end of races when shifting badly because I'm fatigued, that's very welcome.

Now I know you're aiming lower, price wise, but the good news is the functionality doesn't change (with one exception) - the main difference is weight. The exception is the shifter. If you can spring for the XT shifter, you will be able to shift more gears in a single lever pass. I'd also advise going for XTR chains if you can stretch the budget as they have superior coatings and last much longer,meaning everything else lasts much longer, saving substantial money over the life of the bike.

I hope that helps. :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention. For 12-speed, they have different freehub standards.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

You really have to ride them. Sram/shimano have different feels. That goes for the brakes as well as the gearset. Good hing with mtb is you can mix and match.

Sram is more a hard click and shimano tends to be a softer gear click. Aside from that the bigger issue is the freehubs. Shimano 11 sp will go on basically any wheel. Sram 11 will likely be an XD and cost you a bomb.

My vote is with shimano for brakes and gearset on this one.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Deore is a much better-built system; NX derailleurs have poor tolerances, so can be quite wobbly on their pivots, which doesn't do any favours for tuning on the tightly-spaced cassette.

The one setup advantage (but compromises other aspects) NX has is that the cassette uses an 11T top gear, so fits on a standard freewheel body. The Shimano stuff needs the new Microspline freewheel body pattern, which not all hub manufacturers are licensed to build, so hub conversion may not be possible, so you may be up for a new wheel to fit it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Can we ask why a full group set upgrade? Of course, it’s your money and you can do what you want, but why not just replace what’s worn and continue on?

Ive got both SRAM and Shinano 11spd currently and don’t have any issues with it. Not worn out yet so I haven’t looked at upgrading and probably won’t for a while yet, my kms have dropped back a fair bit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 pm

bychosis wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:21 pm
Can we ask why a full group set upgrade? Of course, it’s your money and you can do what you want, but why not just replace what’s worn and continue on?
+1 Gear train, imo, is one of the least bang for buck upgrades on a mtb!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike