Garmin acquires Tacx in bid to take a slice of the indoor training market

Ross

Garmin acquires Tacx in bid to take a slice of the indoor training market

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:08 am

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25610 ... ing-market

More in-depth look at it by DC Rainmaker

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/gar ... o-you.html
Garmin has acquired Tacx, the Dutch trainer, accessories and tools manufacturer in a move that is clearly a bid to grab a slice of the lucrative and fast-growing indoor training market.

Garmin is best known for its range of GPS computers but has expanded its family of products in recent years, largely through acquisitions, with power meter pedals and radar products being added to its range. Tacx is best known as a class-leading indoor trainer manufacturer, with the Neo 2 and NEO Bike its flagship smart trainers.

CycloVelo

Re: Garmin acquires Tacx in bid to take a slice of the indoor training market

Postby CycloVelo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:40 pm

If this means future Tacx trainers being as reliable and competent as Garmin's head units, this is a massive win for Wahoo.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 pm

CycloVelo wrote:If this means future Tacx trainers being as reliable and competent as Garmin's head units, this is a massive win for Wahoo.
:lol: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Ross wrote:https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25610 ... ing-market

More in-depth look at it by DC Rainmaker

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/gar ... o-you.html
Garmin has acquired Tacx, the Dutch trainer, accessories and tools manufacturer in a move that is clearly a bid to grab a slice of the lucrative and fast-growing indoor training market.

Garmin is best known for its range of GPS computers but has expanded its family of products in recent years, largely through acquisitions, with power meter pedals and radar products being added to its range. Tacx is best known as a class-leading indoor trainer manufacturer, with the Neo 2 and NEO Bike its flagship smart trainers.
Proven Garmin quality hits the smart-trainer market. Sigh... :( I like the Tacx Neo I have.

And I guess they'll force us to use that stupid bloody Connect software to manage the trainers in future. :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm

No surprise that it hasn't worked out so well.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:10 pm

biker jk wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm
No surprise that it hasn't worked out so well.

Apparently there is a service kit about ready for release from Tacx/Garmin to address the issue. The kit will include the bearings and the tool for the trainer model that you have.

I just got a Neo 2T, which I ordered way back on April 6th. It took 18 weeks to get due to global demand outstripping supply. My primary reasons for going the Neo over the Kickr '18 was the noise level, lack of spin-down requirement plus the juicy 25% discount ($500) I get on Garmin stuff through one of my insurance policies. There has been various reports of overheating units and firmware bricking (though I am not sure this can be aimed specifically at the Neo - I updated mine with no issues), but as with any online forum, it tends to be only those with issues making noise about it. So far mine has been fine, although I was a little peeved that while I waited for it, Wahoo went and released a new Kickr Model that addressed all the things I didn't like about the one I have now (except the juicy discount of course, so my Neo was still $300 cheaper than the new Kickr).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 am

“Poo frosting on the shi. t cake” :D :D

Another reason why I won’t buy one of them things !!

Especially that it’s a Garmin product

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:34 am

N=2 survey selection, however my edge 500 and then 1000 have been reliable and trouble free.
Only upgraded to the 1000 as I couldn't see the bloody screen on the smaller 500 anymore :x :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 am

queequeg wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:10 pm
Wahoo went and released a new Kickr Model that addressed all the things I didn't like about the one I have now (except the juicy discount of course, so my Neo was still $300 cheaper than the new Kickr).

This one?
https://www.sportgps.com.au/wahoo-kickr ... 3wQAvD_BwE

Still not cheap :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 am
queequeg wrote:
Wahoo went and released a new Kickr Model that addressed all the things I didn't like about the one I have now (except the juicy discount of course, so my Neo was still $300 cheaper than the new Kickr).

This one?

Yes, that one. I can’t remember what I paid for my Kickr ‘16, but it wasn’t that much. The Neo 2T is $2000, but with my juicy discount it came down to $1500, which was a steal when global demand for them is through the roof.

For the issue mentioned in the video above, two solutions are coming. Firstly, a 3rd party ring nut tool is being made as we speak, which you can then buy to replace your own bearings. Secondly, it appears Garmin will very shortly releasing a hub exchange program where they send you a new hub with bearings already installed, and you send the old one back. That will not require the ring nut tool.
No word on whether Garmin will make their official tool available, but it’s really a moot point if someone is selling a compatible tool.

I’m pretty happy with the Neo 2T at the moment. Time will tell if I have issues that need Garmin support, but locally in Sydney they have been pretty good at sorting issues, so the Neo 2T issues could end up being a storm in a tea cup.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am

queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am
warthog1 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 am
queequeg wrote:

This one?

Yes, that one. I can’t remember what I paid for my Kickr ‘16, but it wasn’t that much. The Neo 2T is $2000, but with my juicy discount it came down to $1500, which was a steal when global demand for them is through the roof.

For the issue mentioned in the video above, two solutions are coming. Firstly, a 3rd party ring nut tool is being made as we speak, which you can then buy to replace your own bearings. Secondly, it appears Garmin will very shortly releasing a hub exchange program where they send you a new hub with bearings already installed, and you send the old one back. That will not require the ring nut tool.
No word on whether Garmin will make their official tool available, but it’s really a moot point if someone is selling a compatible tool.

I’m pretty happy with the Neo 2T at the moment. Time will tell if I have issues that need Garmin support, but locally in Sydney they have been pretty good at sorting issues, so the Neo 2T issues could end up being a storm in a tea cup.