Road bike w/ pannier rack - Ideas? (MEL)

Werkaday

Road bike w/ pannier rack - Ideas? (MEL)

Postby Werkaday » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 pm

My bike was stolen recently & I’m looking to replace it.

It was a steel frame road bike, I loved the aggressive riding position, the geometry, feel etc, but it didn’t have eyelets for a rear rack so I’d attached an Old Man Mountain rack to the rear axle and seat stays with p-clamps. This proved to be a pretty ugly solution and it was prone to slipping and even pulling the rear hub forward out of the dropout.

I’ve been shopping around but it’s a nightmare trying to find a sturdy but ‘cool’ bike with rack eyelets. I’d settle for a rigid steel MTB for drop bar conversion but these are hard to find too.

Budget is around $600-$700 plus service, parts, extras. I’ll consider single speed. Any suggestions on what I should look for? I’m just keeping an eye out for Koga Miyata touring frames and other old workhorses on ebay...

Another question while I’m at it: how do you transport a D-lock? I’ve tried the kryptonite frame mount bracket but found it really annoying and again prone to slipping or shifting around.

Thank you for any & all help.

P!N20

Re: Road bike w/ pannier rack - Ideas? (MEL)

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen, that sucks.
Werkaday wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 pm
Budget is around $600-$700 plus service, parts, extras. I’ll consider single speed. Any suggestions on what I should look for? I’m just keeping an eye out for Koga Miyata touring frames and other old workhorses on ebay...

Gumtree is your friend...and Facebook Marketplace if you're into that. Where are you located and what size frame are you looking for?

Werkaday wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 pm
Another question while I’m at it: how do you transport a D-lock?

In a bag. Although I've got a Hiplok DX which has clips that I can chuck on my bag strap or belt. It can also fit in the back pocket of most of my jeans. Handy.