Do you cycle in calf guards/calf sleeves?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Wollemi

Do you cycle in calf guards/calf sleeves?

Postby Wollemi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm

The guy in the running shop that sold them to me said every-time after a run, he puts them on. They are certainly less seen now than 6 years ago on runners. I don't run atm.
I have amongst my outdoor gear, a pair of calf guards/calf sleeves. I wore them a few times last winter under day clothes - to stay warmer.
Tomorrow I am cycling up Bells Line of Road; will they assist - or impede as my legs get engorged with blood as the cycling day goes on?

Wearing a calf guard during exercise can reduce this muscle vibration by 32% and can reduce muscle fatigue and damage by a whopping 43%. The compression sock or calf guard will basically flush out the fluid associated with swelling which will reduce the soreness. https://totalwomenscycling.com/fitness/ ... lists-wear
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

hunkydory1

Re: Do you cycle in calf guards/calf sleeves?

Postby hunkydory1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Wollemi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm
Wearing a calf guard during exercise can reduce this muscle vibration by 32% and can reduce muscle fatigue and damage by a whopping 43%. The compression sock or calf guard will basically flush out the fluid associated with swelling which will reduce the soreness. https://totalwomenscycling.com/fitness/ ... lists-wear
Never used them, but that claim sounds fishy.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:20 pm

I use compression socks and find they help reduce calf soreness. I agree the bit you have quoted is indistinguishable from snake oil. I have not seen any scientific evidence & am open to the possibility that the benefits are all in my mind - but there is plenty of evidence that placebos work, so I'm happy to keep using them.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 pm

I tried racing with compression socks on and ended up taking them off, after two races, they just made me feel uncomfortable. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 pm

I don't like even some of those cycling socks with compression effect - find them extremely uncomfortable.

No way am I using those compression things. Possibly some of these compression things might work after your ride to a small degree, but I'm still not convinced totally.
foo on patrol wrote: I tried racing with compression socks on and ended up taking them off, after two races, they just made me feel uncomfortable. :wink:
Sock height?? :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 02, 2020 6:40 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 pm
I don't like even some of those cycling socks with compression effect - find them extremely uncomfortable.

No way am I using those compression things. Possibly some of these compression things might work after your ride to a small degree, but I'm still not convinced totally.
foo on patrol wrote: I tried racing with compression socks on and ended up taking them off, after two races, they just made me feel uncomfortable. :wink:
Sock height?? :wink:

Yeah, that's another reason that I took them off, plus I don't wear socks when riding, unless it's winter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm

I usually put them on post ride and sometimes wear them on my early morning commute. Ive started wearing them at work as I stand for 11 hours and find my legs dont ache so I would recommend them for recovery.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 23, 2020 7:52 pm

The right amount of compression is good while riding and after... but it is not magical. So pre-ride and post-ride stretching and also the right hydration and nutrition for example are as important for ride performance and recovery.

Many long socks have a degree of compression and take care that tgey are not too tight as this can become painful and counter-productive.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:30 am

It's quite common in other sports to wear compression tights after intense activity (e.g. AFL).
Even if it has a mild placebo effect it will be worth it.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 pm

I will wear compression tights when skiing, possibly placebo effect but I can ski day in day out for 14 days with minimal soreness. I haven't really used them while riding or post riding to reduce muscle tiredness but that might need to wait to next winter.
I really should take up cycling!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:16 am

Personally, and absolute NO.

Even if they were a benefit, it's one thing (along with muscle shirts and budgie smugglers) that I'll concede I won't be seen in public in !!