AliExpress mountain bike shorts and road bib brief review

familyguy

AliExpress mountain bike shorts and road bib brief review

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 pm

I was on the lookout for a pair of replacement mountain bike shorts, as my current Endura Humvee baggy shorts are beginning to show the strain of commuting and wear over a few years. Rather than go the whole hog for a straight replacement at this point in time, given they have some life left, I looked at AliExpress and decided to take a punt on a pair of shorts as a test. While I was there I took a chance on a set of bib knicks as well, why not.

Item: WOSAWE Cycling Shorts Summer Breathable Loose Short MTB Shorts Bike Shorts Men Running Bicycle Riding Shorts
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162244830.html
Price paid: $33.80 delivered
Comments:
I ordered the XL size based on the size chart measurements on the website. Fit is good for me at 6'2" and c.88kg. They are probably slightly tighter fitting than the website suggests, so if you're line ball or prefer true baggy shorts, go up a size.

I got the separate shorts and liner insert set, so I can use the insert for other shorts as required. The pad is quite wide compared to other shorts, and felt a little bulky at first. It calmed down as it wore after a couple of wears, and is comfortable now. No issues with 30-40km rides to date.

The outers are very thin but feel quite well made. I still wouldn't like to catch them on a branch on a trail though, they don't give the same solid vibe as the Endura shorts do. The Endura liner clips into the shorts, the AliExpress lining does not, so the outers can slip a little. I find myself pulling the outers up now and then at lights or stops. They won't fall down, but they do move. The adjustable waist is good but not 100% effective. The pockets are a little odd, not as usable as the Endura, but they would take a bar/gel and keys, maybe even a phone.

A good buy for $35. Perhaps if you commute daily you can get the liners and outers separately and mix the numbers to keep you in fresh shorts (liners at least) daily.

Item: Racmmer 2020 Mens Cycling Bib Shorts Summer Coolmax 8 Colors 5D Gel Pad Bike Bib Tights Mtb Ropa Ciclismo Moisture Wicking Pants
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858387774.html
Price paid: $36.20 delivered
Comments:
Again, I ordered the XL size bibs with blue leg bands based on the size chart measurements on the website. Fit is a little tight at the legs and waist and a little long at the straps. The seam at the middle is straight, so you end up with a tight 'ring' around the middle. It's a little uncomfortable at first but it eases.

If you're a bigger guy, make sure you really check the size chart and maybe go up one, or risk being cut in half a little by the seam. If you have other bibs, look at the joins/seams in this area. They are usually cut with more of an angle, rarely straight. I think this is probably a by-product of these being produced as a shorts or bib option. They just cut all the bottoms the same and simply put a top half on the shorts to make bibs. I could have gone to an XXL and probably been a little more comfortable, but after 5 minutes it's not that big of a deal at my current build. Again, if you're unsure or line ball, go up.

The strap length seems too long, but a little settling of the stretch of the fabric and it feels OK. The pad is surprisingly good in these, more like the fit and feel of my other stuff (DHB, Conquest, Fyxo). The material and assembly quality feels good, not quite up to the DHB, but it's less than half the price, too.

Racmmer do a whole bunch of stuff, some of it looks quite nice, and I will probably get a jersey or set next time something in the ride wardrobe needs replacing.

Jim