Does anyone have any experience cycling from Kuala Lumpur to Penang?

Scotness

Does anyone have any experience cycling from Kuala Lumpur to Penang?

Postby Scotness » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi guys - I'm hoping to do this once COVID is over - does anyone have any route tips? I have no idea how busy the main roads are and if they're at all cycle friendly - here's a quick google map, any feedback on this please

If that plug in doesn't work here's the link: KL to Penang Google Maps
Thanks
Scot
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!

caneye

Re: Does anyone have any experience cycling from Kuala Lumpur to Penang?

Postby caneye » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 am

Scotness wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm
Hi guys - I'm hoping to do this once COVID is over - does anyone have any route tips? I have no idea how busy the main roads are and if they're at all cycle friendly - here's a quick google map, any feedback on this please

I believe that's the coastal route. Flat-ish. Mainly Local traffic.

A route more common among cyclists is to head inland through Cameron Highlands. Lots of climbing though.

Have a look at this blog. I've never met the gentleman but enjoy his write-ups on cycling in Malaysia. You'll get to see some of the routes he has taken. Amusing and articulate. Maybe get in touch with him.

https://alchemyrider.me/

You might also have seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9V6SAqjyGk

Leaf T

Re: Does anyone have any experience cycling from Kuala Lumpur to Penang?

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:50 am

In 2013 I rode the other direction, Penang to Klang and to be honest it's not very nice riding at all. Lots of traffic and trucks and often no shoulder. You are at the bottom of the food chain on the road and that adds to the stress. You need to keep your wits about you.

For info look up crazy guy on a bike journals by Cormac O'Sullivan and Anne as well as Peter Jacobsen. I would have gone the Cameron Highlands route had I known but the heat and hills were a concern at the time. I am well into the Clydesdale class of rider. On my trip from Bangkok to Singapore the nicest riding was in Thailand. West coast Malaysia is quite industrial. Great food and very friendly locals though.