Riding around Ballarat?

ambaal

Riding around Ballarat?

Postby ambaal » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 am

Hi Everyone,

I live on south-west fringe of Ballarat (Delacombe, to be precise) and really want to up my riding from going circles around my area to some reasonably long road outside city.

I have very limited experience (as in none) riding on 100km/h country roads, so here's the question - what would be a nice, noob-friendly, flat route around here?

soar

Re: Riding around Ballarat?

Postby soar » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:23 am

Hi, to the west of you is Haddon, a lot of cyclists ride out that way. Cuthberts road going out to Lake Burrumbete is popular.
There are a lot of roads to the west of Ballarat that are suitable for cycling, however many are unsealed and your capabilities and type of bike is a deciding factor in your route. Also there is the Ballarat to Skipton rail trail , it passes through Haddon, rain can make it soft and hard going though, for a person new to cycling there is the Ballarat scenic cyclists, their rides are from 12 to 50 kilometres, they are more social cyclists than sporting cyclists. They have a website.

All the best

Chris

ambaal

Postby ambaal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:08 pm

soar wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:23 am
Hi, to the west of you is Haddon, a lot of cyclists ride out that way. Cuthberts road going out to Lake Burrumbete is popular.
Chris
Thanks! I was planning to start with Greenhalgs Rd, so not far from suggested.
Hopefully won't be as scary as it feels now.

Skipton rail trail is pretty much all descent/ascent, isn't it? It's elevation profile suggest that it's either descending one way or climbing the other.

GoSlowGoGoGo

Postby GoSlowGoGoGo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Does anyone have any experienced riding fixed gear around Ballarat, especially CBD? I'm Interested to learn how fixie-friendly it is.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Welcome outside. You might be interested in an article published by cycling tips a few years ago My Backyard: A guide to cycling in Ballarat
Anything you can do, I can do slower

soar

Postby soar » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:27 am

I can recommend going west of Ballarat on Cuthberts road and Remembrance drive for fixed gear riding,
For Central Ballarat, Victoria Park should be OK