Bikes in Bus lanes

wongaga

Bikes in Bus lanes

Postby wongaga » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on the Victorian law for bikes in designated bus lanes? I thought they were allowed, but was abused by a bus driver last week. I'd like to know that if I give it right back the next time I'll be on firm ground.

Cheers, Graeme

P!N20

Re: Bikes in Bus lanes

Postby P!N20 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:38 pm

I know this is the shorthand road rules, but here you go:

Bus lanes
Drivers are not allowed to drive in a bus lane, unless:

they are driving for up to 100 metres to enter or leave the road, e.g. to turn at an intersection
they are overtaking a vehicle that is turning right or making a U-turn from the centre of the road
the information on the bus lane sign shows that other vehicles can use the lane
they need to avoid an obstruction, e.g. a broken-down vehicle
they are driving a public bus or coach
they are riding a bicycle.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... ules/buses

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 pm

As P!N20 says, cyclists in Victoria can ride in a bus lane unless otherwise signed.

There is a subtle exception - cyclists cannot ride in a Bus ONLY lane, ie with a sign like this

I'd suggest that rather than taking it up directly with the driver, a message to the bus provider noting the time, place & bus number is more likely to have an educative impact.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 pm

Thank you

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 pm
I'd suggest that rather than taking it up directly with the driver, a message to the bus provider noting the time, place & bus number is more likely to have an educative impact.
This. It is remarkably effective in NSW. All public transport buses have cameras that constantly record, six in total here, including at least one on the driver. When you say "all good mate (thumbs up) I'll report you so you can get some education" it puts the fear of dog into them. Especially when I raise my Cycliq, point it at them and ask sweetly "smile for the camera please?"

The last few times the driver has self-reported and been in quite a state, according to the responses to my complaints from STA. Maybe that's because they've already got form, in which case mission accomplished.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Last Sat Morning a bus in a small length bus lane came at me through a give way sign from my left side, 7.30 am. Both a car to the right of the bus and the bus came together side by side toward the give way sign. Both were on my left.
The car stopped the bus continued on. The give way sign on the left side of the bus is at the height of the drivers seated position.

Got it all on cam and delivering to the cop shop tomorrow.

Fortunately I saw it unfolding and turned hard right to avoid the bus. I gave him a long blast on the air horn and He must have seen me in the right side mirror as I was right beside him traveling in the same lane for a few metres.
I have a clear profile pic of the driver looking directly ahead.

All good no impact so no probs. As I put in the letter to the police; It was left to me to avoid the accident, that driver I'm sure didn't look, and I would be another cyclist that came out of nowhere. :) But that is common. That's 2 incidents for last week.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 am

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 pm
As P!N20 says, cyclists in Victoria can ride in a bus lane unless otherwise signed.

There is a subtle exception - cyclists cannot ride in a Bus ONLY lane, ie with a sign like this

Only ever seen one of those, in the CBD, in the Spring St exchange, and they've been changed already

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Re evil buses, I once witnessed a bus run a rider into the kerb while pulling into a stop. I noted bus number, route number, location, time and date and called the company (Ventura). They sounded quite concerned and promised they'd call the driver in for a very serious interview. Maybe they did, maybe not, but they certainly made all the right noises.

I have seen "buses only" painted on the road surface in the bus lane. I guess that carries the same significance?

Cheers, Graeme

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Generally here in Sydney as I don't know Melbourne's conditions is that you usually only find bus only lanes in small pads or short runs when the buses have a priority traffic light system ahead. The Buses get a Priority B light to go ahead first. I think on the freeways in the North Part of Sydney have Bus only merging lanes. Buses only allowed to transit these marked lanes.

Bus lane is generally buses but also includes Motorcycles, bicycles, taxi and Hire cars but not Uber type ride share vehicles unless for 100 metres if cars are turning left and need to cross the lane to make the turn or if they need to enter or exit a property adjacent to a bus lane.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:28 pm

wongaga wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:31 pm

I have seen "buses only" painted on the road surface in the bus lane. I guess that carries the same significance?

Cheers, Graeme
You can ride in them. Most new works that the DOT carry out that I've seen have those and a cycle lane. Cycle lane between bus and car lane of course.....