I think I've over trained too much

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
1Rowdy1

Re: I think I've over trained too much

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm

old pedals

Postby old pedals » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi to you all again, and thank you for your interest in the first instance and then thorough information as to possibility of problems. Especially Foo on Patrol, and others with sound advice, I wanted to give you updates albeit a long way down the track. I have been in and out of Hospital and re-hab for nearly twelve months now. I explained a while ago that they had found problems with my spine, I like most people especially later in life have Arthritis as a burden, for some of us part of the reason we ride, well here goes a brief summary. I was eventually rushed into hospital and had a Cervical spinal fusion on my ACDF with a plate and 6 screws, the surgeon went in through the front of my throat, I was then given 7 weeks of re-hab trying to teach me to walk. Then back into hospital for another Cervical spinal fusion from the back of my neck, a Laminectomy with rods and tis time more screws. Followed by more serious physio again trying to even get me to walk unaided. just recently on the 11th November a final third fusion that of a Laminectomy on my Lumbar spine. I was released from Hospital but am still at physio twice a week, still trying to get me to walk even without crutches, at this stage that appears to be a miracle if it happens. I can only shuffle along unaided but with crutches, I know I want to walk but my spinal cord was apparently so badly blocked in my Cervical spine and now to a slightly lesser degree to mu lumbar spine.
Now all that is out of the way my positive attitude has been shot to pieces and therefore I feel the possibility of walking by April as my so called Goal to walk.
I do however have a question. I can ride my bike on my home trainer, albeit not very fast or with a good cadence, but at 73 and following all the surgeries within reason. i would howeve33r love to have breeze in my face, sun on my arms and legs that will tire quickly and have just purchased a pair of adult training wheels. Firstly before you all laugh, I want to place them on my touring bike, have two tubes either side of the back of my bike to take my crutches for when i stop; hopefully at a coffee break. My question is, do you think the training wheels will give me enough stability whilst riding to make it safe enough to not necessarily fall off.
your replies will be of great assistance and possibly give me confidence to start walking.
kindest regards
Melvin

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Bloody hell mate, that's a chit load of stuff done on your spine! :shock:

On the training wheels thingy,I'd like to know how wide these would be, just so that I have some idea of your sitting height to width is for balance? :idea:

Something like a proper "trike" would possibly be more stable but not knowing how your core strength is, would be the biggest problem for me giving any real good advice. :(

I hope that you keep a strong mind and keep riding on the trainer at least, until you can feel confident within yourself for a "normal" bike ride. All the best for Christmas and New Year but most importantly, don't give up. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Have you considered a trike? I have an elderly female acquaintance who had a stroke and has persistent balance problems. She rides a trike, and really enjoys it.

Hope you manage to get out and get the wind in your face again, one way or another,

Have a look at this website, for some ideas, and possibly some help

https://freedomwheels.org.au/?gclid=Cj ... 9sQAvD_BwE

old pedals

Postby old pedals » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi Foo on patrol and robbo mcs. Thanks again for t he discussion and advice. I had another Physio session at home yesterday and today, both working more so on my left leg as it is much weaker as well as the most unbalanced.
The training wheels are aprox 30 cm in diameter and sit aprox 25 cm out from the rear wheel. What I like about them is that they bolt to the body of the bike not the rear axle. See attached link to where I've been looking at and since my last message have purchased hopefully in time for Christmas.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/cycl ... SbEALw_wcB

I'll look at trycyles if this doesn't help, i mainly need the stability for taking off and stopping.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Kindest regards Old Pedals

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:54 pm

To be honest, I'd like them further out than that, due to the height and weight centre of gravity. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:09 pm

Might take a bit of fiddling about to get those optimised. You could adjust them while sitting on a stationary bike. However, ultimately there is only one way to find out how they work! Just try and test them out in the safest environment you can find, with someone around etc.

I really hope it works for you