Rain Jacket - Gore-tex or ?

Aushiker

Rain Jacket - Gore-tex or ?

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 26, 2022 12:23 am

This is a bit of a left-field question but I have lost touch with the world of bicycle and/or hiking jackets. What I am looking for is a jacket to be worn while riding my motorcycle, so it has to go over my motorcycle jacket. I am assuming it will have to be sized up so it is unlikely to see duty riding the bicycles so ventilation is less of an issue.

I am asking here as the bike gets used for multiple-day tours and being in WA they tend to be winter/spring rides so a jacket that can handle hours of rain is what is being sought.

Any suggestions? Much around in the world of Gore-tex? What I have found has been limited. Is it no longer the go-to fabric?

Thoglette

Re: Rain Jacket - Gore-tex or ?

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 am

See this thread for some recent discussion
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Have not ridden a motorcycle for 25 years, but back then 95% of my autumn, winter, spring riding was done in treated motorcycle leathers, kept me warm and dry in everything but bad storms.

For those bad days, I had a nylon dry suit. A one piece suit that went over my leathers and was waterproof. No water in and no water aka sweat out. You only got wet through the gloves and boots (in theory, never got wet feet, wet hands was a different story, needed better gloves).

I would investigate a motorcycle specific dry suit, they cost between $100 and $200 and pack down small. So you tour in your leathers and before storms hit, you put on your dry suit over your leathers.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 pm

nickobec wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 pm
Have not ridden a motorcycle for 25 years, but back then 95% of my autumn, winter, spring riding was done in treated motorcycle leathers, kept me warm and dry in everything but bad storms.

For those bad days, I had a nylon dry suit. A one piece suit that went over my leathers and was waterproof. No water in and no water aka sweat out. You only got wet through the gloves and boots (in theory, never got wet feet, wet hands was a different story, needed better gloves).

I would investigate a motorcycle specific dry suit, they cost between $100 and $200 and pack down small. So you tour in your leathers and before storms hit, you put on your dry suit over your leathers.
+ 1 on the Dry suit, I only recently stopped riding due to my hip replacement but now secretly working on the Mrs to let me get another bike...especially for riding around the Northern Alpine areas of Victoria....sometimes after Jan/ Feb next year.

When I had my V-Strom 650, I had the usual Dry-rider textile jacket but also had a leather jacket too, I placed the one piece dry suit over everything, it was wind proof and relatively waterproof, although it did leak when my fork was hard against the tank during heavy rain but it kept me dry mostly, even around my neck area, I found nothing is truly 100% waterproof especially in heavy constant all day rain but those full one piece suit will keep you dry in most rainy occasions.

I don't think you need something as heavy as Gore-tex. When I was Commuting to and from work, 31kms each way, I only used an ordinary vinyl pants and a work fluro rain jacket you can buy at any work safe store....they are better than you think and would keep me toasty warm and dry and it breathed quite well at speeds up to 80kph, i could also use it for the same reason on my bicycle to and from work without getting much of a sweat up and it was the only jacket i wore all Winter at 5am with a jumper underneath. Keeping your hands warm and dry is another thing, there's nothing worse than freezing wet hands especially when you rely on them to keep you safe with braking etc.

Anyway, just my experience.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am

Andrew, one-piece dry suits are a mongrel thing to get into in a hurry when you need them most. And not easy to get out of either. I have one, never use it.

Goretex still has its place. My adventure touring jacket is goretex (and horrifically expensive) but over jackets are usually a vinyl like fabric.

We have had incredibly wet weather here recently and I had to replace my 20-year old wetties when they started to leak.

The go-to choice with most of my motorcycling acquaintances is the DriRider Thunderwear. The jacket is sized to fit over your protective jacket. Pants are available and also a one-piece version called Hurricane.

These were all sold out in my size when I needed them urgently so I ended up with an Oxford set. They have been well tested over the last few months and have proved very effective at keeping me dry.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/DriRider- ... /2110643-c

https://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/ox ... ver-jacket
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 27, 2022 9:51 am

RonK wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am
Andrew, one-piece dry suits are a mongrel thing to get into in a hurry when you need them most. And not easy to get out of either. I have one, never use it.

Goretex still has its place. My adventure touring jacket is goretex (and horrifically expensive) but over jackets are usually a vinyl like fabric.

We have had incredibly wet weather here recently and I had to replace my 20-year old wetties when they started to leak.

The go-to choice with most of my motorcycling acquaintances is the DriRider Thunderwear. The jacket is sized to fit over your protective jacket. Pants are available and also a one-piece version called Hurricane.

These were all sold out in my size when I needed them urgently so I ended up with an Oxford set. They have been well tested over the last few months and have proved very effective at keeping me dry.

Ron thanks for putting up those links, when I was looking for wet gear, it was back in 2005 and it was mostly the one piece wet suits hat were available so I'll save these links and when (i hope) to buy my next motorcycle, I'll be going the 2 piece for sure. Yeah the overalls type wet gear are a bit cumbersome to put on/off but they do work well and there's no jacket creep exposing any part of unprotected body. Even those textile jackets that are supposed to be weatherproof especially Dry Rider arn't very waterproof after a couple of hours of decent rain....they don't live up to their name and I had a 4 seasoned jacket.

What Motorcycle you have Ron? I think if I was to buy another, I'd go back to the Suzuki 650 V-Strom XT , one of the later models as the last V-Strom I had handled touring like a breeze and I don't really do much rough stuff, just gravel roads is my most adventurous. They can be a bit top heavy with full 20 litres of fuel.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am

Thanks, everyone. The DriRider Thunderwear is on the short list Ron. It does appear to be quite popular here.

Gore-tex options in motorcycling gear appear to be more full protection jackets around the $600+ mark.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2022 10:27 am

Thanks, everyone. The DriRider Thunderwear is on the short list Ron. It does appear to be quite popular here.

Gore-tex options in motorcycling gear appear to be more full protection jackets around the $600+ mark.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am

brumby33 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Keeping your hands warm and dry is another thing, there's nothing worse than freezing wet hands especially when you rely on them to keep you safe with braking etc.
The big advantage of my old Moto Guzzi V twin, could keep hands warm by resting them on the cylinder head (well left hand was easy).

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am

nickobec wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am
brumby33 wrote:
Keeping your hands warm and dry is another thing, there's nothing worse than freezing wet hands especially when you rely on them to keep you safe with braking etc.
The big advantage of my old Moto Guzzi V twin, could keep hands warm by resting them on the cylinder head (well left hand was easy).
Yeah Guzzi's were good for that, Beemers though a bit more difficult :lol: :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:51 am
RonK wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am

Ron thanks for putting up those links, when I was looking for wet gear, it was back in 2005 and it was mostly the one piece wet suits hat were available so I'll save these links and when (i hope) to buy my next motorcycle, I'll be going the 2 piece for sure. Yeah the overalls type wet gear are a bit cumbersome to put on/off but they do work well and there's no jacket creep exposing any part of unprotected body. Even those textile jackets that are supposed to be weatherproof especially Dry Rider arn't very waterproof after a couple of hours of decent rain....they don't live up to their name and I had a 4 seasoned jacket.

What Motorcycle you have Ron? I think if I was to buy another, I'd go back to the Suzuki 650 V-Strom XT , one of the later models as the last V-Strom I had handled touring like a breeze and I don't really do much rough stuff, just gravel roads is my most adventurous. They can be a bit top heavy with full 20 litres of fuel.

brumby33
I'm riding a BMW R1250RS and have ordered the new Aprilia Tuareg 660 for adventure riding. It's due to arrive next month.

The BMW is a keeper and will be my highway sport tourer. We had a group ride down to Walcha via Nymboida and the Waterfall Way at Easter and rode the Oxley Highway in both directions. The Oxley has got to be the best motorcycling road in Australia - 300 odd corners in only 44 km. It was a real blast and I'm still buzzing with the memory even weeks later.

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/tuareg-660/

I did consider a BMW R1250GS but in reality they are are far to big and heavy for any serious adventure riding. The trend in ADV bikes currently is to easy-to-handle middleweights like the KTM 890 Adventure R and the Yamaha Tenere 700. The Tuareg 660 is a new entrant in this segment, light and nimble and has a low C of G. And plenty of tech. The engine is basically the front bank from the V4 Tuono engine.

Some of my friends have 650 V-Stroms and really like them, but I'm looking for a little more off-road capability - not necessarily enduro extreme, but I want to go places where I would take my bikepacking bicycle. I already have some fantastic routes planned just over the border in New England.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm

nickobec wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am
brumby33 wrote:
I just turn on my heated grips. :D

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm

Ron, one of my biggest problems is that many of those bigger Adv. Bikes are way too tall for me, i got the ducks disease....short legs, even the Strom is a bit of a stretch but i could handle it without lowering it but definitely wasn't flat footed either.
The Stroms are more a road bike with some off road capabilities but on saying that, in the V-Strom group I used to ride with, some put those bikes through places I couldn't believe and them and bikes survived....but yeah, at 215kg without rider, they are a heavy beast.
I love the New England area, my first Strom Gathering was at Bingera just Southwest of Inverell, nice place.

In the next 8 Months, I'm moving down to the NSW/VIC border at Albury and there's lots of good riding around there so once i settle in, I'll be looking for another bike. I also can't wait to ride the local trails on the Vivente either....I have a job offer down there so I'm hoping to ride to work most days.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm
Ron, one of my biggest problems is that many of those bigger Adv. Bikes are way too tall for me, i got the ducks disease....short legs, even the Strom is a bit of a stretch but i could handle it without lowering it but definitely wasn't flat footed either.
The Stroms are more a road bike with some off road capabilities but on saying that, in the V-Strom group I used to ride with, some put those bikes through places I couldn't believe and them and bikes survived....but yeah, at 215kg without rider, they are a heavy beast.
I love the New England area, my first Strom Gathering was at Bingera just Southwest of Inverell, nice place.

In the next 8 Months, I'm moving down to the NSW/VIC border at Albury and there's lots of good riding around there so once i settle in, I'll be looking for another bike. I also can't wait to ride the local trails on the Vivente either....I have a job offer down there so I'm hoping to ride to work most days.

Cheers

brumby33
Yes, many ADV bikes are tall for good ground clearance. But they don't have to be. You should definitely check out the Tuareg - low seat height, and there is a low seat option, lightweight, easy to handle, the fuel tank is low down in the frame. The KTM 890 Adventure R also has a fairly low seat height and has side mounted fuel tanks to keep the C of G low, but KTM's are more expensive.
Last edited by RonK on Fri May 27, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm

brumby33 wrote:
I've noticed lots of bus driving jobs advertised on the Sunshine Coast. Housing is a bit difficult to find there though.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:50 pm

RonK wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm
brumby33 wrote:
I've noticed lots of bus driving jobs advertised on the Sunshine Coast. Housing is a bit difficult to find there though.
And it's too bloody wet up there :lol:

I have some good friends up in Noosa and in Peachester who almost had to swim out of their houses, they were very lucky it didn't go up any higher.
We find it difficult dealing with the high humidity up there, we lived in brisbane once for 9 Months and returned to Sydney due to the extreme (for us) Humidity. We prefer a more drier climate.
The QLD housing too exxy for me, down in Albury I found a nice big fairly modern home in a good area for just over $500K.
As for Bus driver jobs, there's an acute shortage of drivers for these jobs and one of the reasons is due to the way Management's treatments of the drivers they had which drove them away from the Industry. Most of the people who I know that left the industry, only 30% of them returned to it, the rest went onto better jobs. It's a shame as it's a good, clean honest profession but there's many Hitlers in the industry too, now they are screaming for drivers who are no longer there.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm

How much money do you have?
Aerostich is criminally expensive but has good kit.

I tend to use a Tiger Angel goretex but goretex needs maintenance - not as much as the old Belstaff did thank God! - meaning washing in fancy expensive wash and waterproofing with fancy expensive stuff.

I used to use a one piece oversuit in the wet but yeah too much hard work. For a while I had an Aerostich 2 piece which zips into one when needed and is very good touring kit indeed. Easy to get in and out of in the one piece config, surprisingly cool if you opened the vents. But wasn't really a good fit for my body shape. However if you are doing a lot of touring then the lighter versions of that should really be considered. Meaning it replaces your current gear.

Perhaps a pair of plastic trousers and a sailing overjacket? You can get those light and large.

When cycling I wear wool and get wet but when motorcycling that doesn't really work.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on Tiger Angel. I hadn't heard of them. Off to have a look now.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:33 am

G'day Aushiker,

This video somehow came to my attention and I watched it and pasted it in here for you.

It's about the merits of Goretex Motorcycle wear and it's an Australian video and this guy tests his 8 year old Klim Gortex to see if it still protects him against the wet weather.

I know Klim Motorcycle wear is bloody expensive by comparison to much but from what i can tell, they don't need liners to keep them waterproof.

A Couple I used to ride with both wore Klim and even though it was a big investment, they reckoned it was money well spent.

Heres the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0GL44lzDw

Hope that is helpful.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 30, 2022 4:16 pm

nickobec wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Was a M/C courier in Melbourne in the mid 80's. ++++++1 for the nylon one piece here. It was the only thing that worked in all day rain. All other times the trusty belstaff.

Of course, given that was 40 odd years ago I'd expect there to be better stuff these days?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 pm

I figure everyone will jump on me for saying so. But Goretex is NOT anywhere near as wonderful as myth states. The rave that it gets in Australia is not universal.

Just for the record, the the Gore borothers patent is not PTFE on a base material punched with the tiniest possible holes. Others tried to do the same but it was hard to develop a process to do so. The Gore borothers managed to develop a practical (affordable) way of making those holes and bonding it to a base fabric and that process is what they patented.

The main problems with goretex are on two fronts. Firstly, the PTFE coating is fragile, it breaks, loses bond and generally degrades too soon.

Secondly, and this is where the myth of breathability falls down, the holes do not allow air and sweat to pass once it has an abundance of water in it (rain, sweat). Further, once washed, those holes are further compromised with soap residue, body oils, dust, etc. The very minuteness of the holes works against cleaning that stuff out.

Later "improvements" to address those problems in the goretex product made it heavier and less breathable anyhow.

After several seasons of using it I quit it. The only thing that I continued to use it on was ski gloves. And that was mainly because quality ski gloves with thinsulate almost always had Goretex as well. It was the thinsulate that wicks moisture away from warm to cool zone(close to body to a bit further away) that I was buying, not the goretex.

I have found that Durable Water Repellants (DWRs) are OK. But they are NOT very durable so they need retreating regularly. And the right DWR has to be applied to the particular fabric you put it on. (See link.)

Over many years the most detailed and informative piece on protection from rain and storms that I have found was by a NSW mountaineer at "FAQ - Rainwear - parkas and trousers, etc". It's quite a read but it fills in the river-wide holes in information that is supplied on the various fabrics and treatments. I have not bothered for many years so maybe there is something more up to date and as good.

These days I accept that I am going to get moist. Once that is accepted then any high density weave nylon or high density weave other synthetic is good. Clothing made in that way is a readily available, affordable, washable and, other than washing, requires no more treatment or maintenance. When I do get moist underneath as least I am also warm.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle