Gravel frame options (via AliExpress)

familyguy

Gravel frame options (via AliExpress)

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 pm

The revision of the Fuji is happening now that it has gone (most of it, anyway). Started lazily glancing around for a better fitting, through axle frame update as commuter, part time weekend ambler, probably gravel adventurer in future. Aside from searching local markets (lots about, but all far too small), I had a look at two on AliExpress:

Aluminium, BSA, 12mm F&R, flat mount, very intriguing DT/BB junction
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003753585988.html

Carbon, BB86 PF, 12mm F&R, flat mount
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003643240771.html

New flat mount brakes are needed at a minimum, either a hybrid set or another set of Tektro Spyres. The Spyres on the Fuji really impressed me for cable discs. All current shifter spares are Shimano cable systems and it's a costly bridge to swap to hydro. I'd also need a new BB86 for the carbon one, current spares have only a BSA threaded part. The wheels I have can be converted to 12mm or 15mm thru axle front/12mm thru axle rear.

Has anyone ridden or had their hands on either of these, or similar models?

Jim

trailgumby

Re: Gravel frame options (via AliExpress)

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:18 pm

familyguy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 pm
Aluminium, BSA, 12mm F&R, flat mount, very intriguing DT/BB junction
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003753585988.html
<snipped>

Jim
'
Structurally quite interesting - only welded on three sides with the fourth left open.

Very similar to the arrangement on the bottom of my recently acquired carbon 2014 Jamis carbon CX bike, except mine has a hatch cover over the cable guide to keep the dirt out, and doesn't have the fugly welding :lol: I like the downtube tube shape on yours better though - truncated airfoil.

For that money, I think either would be fine.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:33 pm

I'm actually quite liking that aluminium frame, even with the description.

Gr02 is positioned as gravel gravel off-road flat mounted disc brake cylinder axle highway frame

Would be tempting to do a budget build with Microshift or even Sensah if you were feeling brave.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:13 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:33 pm
I'm actually quite liking that aluminium frame, even with the description.

Gr02 is positioned as gravel gravel off-road flat mounted disc brake cylinder axle highway frame

Would be tempting to do a budget build with Microshift or even Sensah if you were feeling brave.
The whole description was minced via translation, but the point got across 8)

The only concerning bit about the alloy one is the open tube end at the BB. Reinforced or not, its still a potential failure point. Geo checks out as quite similar between the two for comparable sizes.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:19 pm

Next question: cable-hydros. ZTTO/ZRace seem to be the $70 bargain basement start. Juin Tech R1 appear to be the top of that tree running to nearer $200.

HyRd are there or thereabouts, but the last set I had were not inspiring at all. They barely worked, constantly got stuck pistons (constant: i.e. over the two weeks I had them on I tried to ride the bike 4 times, only to have to pump the lever A LOT to get the piston free and braking), then leaked once.

I am using cable brifters, so comments like "jUsT gO HyDrO, iTs WaY BeTtEr!" will be ignored.

Spyre from the last bike were post mount so went with the frame. Would happily use a set of flat mount Spyres again. Tektro C550 appear to be the alternative for better cable discs at c.$140.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:42 pm

[notagohydropost] have run both HyRd and Juin's and would say the HyRd's more prone to sticking pistons than the Juin's...would also say that over the years had plenty of Shimano Hydraulic brakes with stuck pistons...not used these but am using their very budget and excellent hydraulic with no problems

reckon this is flat mount from clarks:
https://www.clarkscyclesystems.com/prod ... option=224

couldn't find any Aus stock though but a possible option [/nohydro]

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:05 am

A while ago when I tested a bike for BNA, it came with the cable actuated CX75 (?) calipers and they were actually pretty good.

No idea if price or availability now, but if anyone did cable discs well, it’d be Shimano

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:58 pm

familyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:19 pm
I am using cable brifters, so comments like "jUsT gO HyDrO, iTs WaY BeTtEr!" will be ignored.
'
After my earlier post trying to troubleshoot the sponginess on the rear caliper on the Hy/Rds, after reading your and other posters comments about Hy/Rd and JuinTech blowing seals, I ended up buying some BNIB second-hand 7020 brifters off eBay out of Japan and teaming them with some M8100 hydraulic calipers.

Cost about $700, but works quite well and I figure it's cheaper than post-crash surgery and physiotherapy bills. I'll get a bit back from the sale of the sale of the old groupset, which will bring the net cost down. Not sure if I should sell the Hy/Rds or just bin them.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:24 pm

I have been eyeing off a carbon gravel frame as my next ride for some time now - specifically a Carbonda CFR696/ICAN x-gravel frame. These are functionally equivalent open mould frames, and are the same as the base from for the Bombtrack Hook Ext-C - though possibly with a different degree of quality control/attention to detail on the weight.

http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/80.html
https://icancycling.com/collections/gra ... e-frameset
https://www.bombtrack.com/gear/p/hook-ext-c-frameset

I favour the threaded BB over a pressfit one, and I know that with the Carbonda version, they can spec it with specific BB options if desired (e.g. T47 instead of BSA)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:16 pm

Those do look good. Price is still within the upper end of the range I'd look at. If I hadn't bought the Merlin and the Diamant CX bike, I'd probably have something by now. But, as is often the case, it's fallen a little aside and will be picked up in time 8)

Just noticed this on the Bombtrack specs:
Maximum rider weight 105 kg incl. luggage

Doesn't leave a lot of head room for a big rider.