Mascot to Domestic Airport

peter

Mascot to Domestic Airport

Postby peter » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:25 pm

Planning a ride to Shep's Mound tomorrow, I think once getting on Ross Smith Avenue should be relatively quiet, any suggestions how to get there from Coward Street?

O'Riordan Street appears to be the most direct route, but there're lots of constructions going on, street view may not be showing the current situation. So I thought best to ask the experts. :D

peter

Re: Mascot to Domestic Airport

Postby peter » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm

Turns out it's really straightforward, take Burke Road to O'Riordan Street, there's a shared path from King Street to Ross Smith Avenue.

Pleasantly surprised by the new shared path on the north side of the canal along Airport Drive.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:51 pm

peter wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Turns out it's really straightforward, take Burke Road to O'Riordan Street, there's a shared path from King Street to Ross Smith Avenue.

Pleasantly surprised by the new shared path on the north side of the canal along Airport Drive.

Nice bike!

peter

Postby peter » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:51 pm
Nice bike!

Thanks man, the ebike has opened up many options.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 am

peter wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm

That's now on the opposite side to the previous route? Looks good. I sometimes do a loop via Ryde, Meadowbank, Rhodes, Cooks River path, Tempe and back via the city, but it looks like the link to Burrows Road is now gone and it circles the long, long way around to get to Bourke St. Still, it'll be an exercise for one nice day in the next week or two.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:24 pm

familyguy wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 am
That's now on the opposite side to the previous route?

Yea, that new section of shared path is parallel to the old one but on the other side, it leads to Tempe Reserve as before.

but it looks like the link to Burrows Road is now gone and it circles the long, long way around to get to Bourke St. Still, it'll be an exercise for one nice day in the next week or two.

There's a new shared path on Campbell Street, I started at Wolli/Tempe, rode on Unwins Bridge Road to Campbell Street, from there the shared path goes all the way to Bourke Road.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:03 pm

I;m confused... which is on the other side of what? Google maps and streetview (date 2022) show the path along airport dr towards Coward st the same place as it has always been: between the road and the canal.

where was the link to Burrows? Had to do that ages ago, and went over RIcketty St bridge which was interesting

peter

Postby peter » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:40 pm

Ok, may be a map (click to view) makes more sense.

A = new shared path (where photo was taken)
B = closed shared path due to road work (path was there all along)
C = shared path along Campbell Street to Bourke Road (one good thing from WestConnex)

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16 pm

ah thanks.

If I do have to get to Burrows Rd the bit I have to get to is near Ricketty St so I'll probably do what I used to do which is take the road over the bridge rather than go through mascot and Bourke.

The first time I took the footpath which is fine till there's someone coming the other way... After that experience I just took the lane and let the cars cope. Not something I enjoy though as humpback bridge and trucks is never a good combination for a cyclist.