https://veloviewer is broken/segment/3239493/ ... Road+Climb

DernyDriver

Re: What is the steepest rd in Sydney?

Postby DernyDriver » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:41 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:14 pm
Ojay Trixie wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:04 pm
Rumour has it there is one in N.Z. That’s almost 34 degrees ?! Anyone confirm it / done it ?
That will be Baldwin st in Dunedin. I haven't ridden up it but I have walked up it, its super steep
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/ne ... eet-614287
Tahiti is basically extinct volcanos sticking up out of the ocean. There is a narrow flat perimeter of the island with a loop road around the coast. If you turn inland, you are going straight up the side of a volcano. In the Tour of Tahiti, 80% of the pro peleton walked up one climb a few years ago. It was near Papeete on the main island. The cars and vans couldnt get up it, they had to wait at the bottom. I was following my riders on a motor scooter ... it stalled halfway up, and when I put the brakes on , both wheels locked and I started sliding backwards at a rate of knots. I saved myself from going off the edge by sliding backwards into the cliff face on the other side.
Another climb on the island of Raiatea was similar, cars and scooters couldnt get up it and neither could most of the riders. It was dead straight and narrow so you couldnt zig zag. About 1000 metres long and wickedly steep. We were prepared and had compact cranks and granny gears for that stage, but it didn't help. I think only one or two from my team got over it. The rest had to walk and that was almost impossible to do as well. No idea of the percentages.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:18 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:27 pm
Ryedale Road in Denistone is 24.9% max gradient, according to veloviewer:

https://veloviewer is broken/segment/3239493/B+Ryedale+Road+Climb
There is a short 160m segment on Rydedale Rd that averages 18.9% .... https://www.strava.com/segments/1733963

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:41 am

DernyDriver wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:41 pm
mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:14 pm
Ojay Trixie wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:04 pm
Rumour has it there is one in N.Z. That’s almost 34 degrees ?! Anyone confirm it / done it ?
That will be Baldwin st in Dunedin. I haven't ridden up it but I have walked up it, its super steep
Tahiti is basically extinct volcanos sticking up out of the ocean. There is a narrow flat perimeter of the island with a loop road around the coast. If you turn inland, you are going straight up the side of a volcano. In the Tour of Tahiti, 80% of the pro peleton walked up one climb a few years ago. It was near Papeete on the main island. The cars and vans couldnt get up it, they had to wait at the bottom. I was following my riders on a motor scooter ... it stalled halfway up, and when I put the brakes on , both wheels locked and I started sliding backwards at a rate of knots. I saved myself from going off the edge by sliding backwards into the cliff face on the other side.
Another climb on the island of Raiatea was similar, cars and scooters couldnt get up it and neither could most of the riders. It was dead straight and narrow so you couldnt zig zag. About 1000 metres long and wickedly steep. We were prepared and had compact cranks and granny gears for that stage, but it didn't help. I think only one or two from my team got over it. The rest had to walk and that was almost impossible to do as well. No idea of the percentages.
Perhaps the Guiness book of records should investigate those roads
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:41 am

I can't find anything from a quick Google search, but I seem to recall there were requirements that the street or road had to service dwellings or something? So roads up the side of mountains didn't count (unless there were people living there.)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:21 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:30 pm
mikesbytes wrote:

I can't find anything from a quick Google search, but I seem to recall there were requirements that the street or road had to service dwellings or something? So roads up the side of mountains didn't count (unless there were people living there.)
Seems to be reasonable requirement, otherwise almost anything could be classified as a road. Baldwin st in Dunedin is clearly a residential street. There was a street in Wales that took it off Dunedin but then it was put back to Dunedin, wonder what happened there?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:16 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:21 pm
P!N20 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:30 pm
mikesbytes wrote:

Seems to be reasonable requirement, otherwise almost anything could be classified as a road. Baldwin st in Dunedin is clearly a residential street. There was a street in Wales that took it off Dunedin but then it was put back to Dunedin, wonder what happened there?
There was an explanation in the link after the formal record review.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Nath1991

Postby Nath1991 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:40 pm

Not sure if already mentioned, not in the few pages I've flicked through, but Darling Street Wharf In East Balmain up to Nicholson Street.

So steep the trams that used to run up and down it needed a counter-weight under the road to prevent them from becoming impromptu ferries at the bottom of the hill. A few buses' brakes have failed going down the hill, and wound up nearly going for a swim.

Balmain is full of short-nasty steep climbs. Duke Street in Balmain East is even steeper

Not sure if street view does it justice, been a while since East Balmain was my stomping ground, but had a mate in primary school come close to meeting his maker going down the hill on his bike, and he couldn't stop in time.

https://www.google.com/maps/(AT)-33.855863 ... ?entry=ttu