Malvern Star Oppy SF1

grumpytypewriter

Malvern Star Oppy SF1

Postby grumpytypewriter » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:21 am

I’m thinking about picking up a Malvern Star Oppy SF1 to ride as a single speed. What’s the build quality like? Is there anything you’d change from the stock bike? If not an SF1, is there another steel frame single speed you’d recommend instead?

It will be a commuter from Brunswick to Melbourne CBD and neighbourhood bike. I like the steel frame, and ALL the braze-ons for rack mounts front or back, and room for mudguards. I’m 186cm and 95kgs (hopefully less over the next couple of months :D) so will be L or XL to be determined after a test ride.

Many years ago I was given a single speed which was too large for me (62cm) and ended up not riding it after a couple of years; loved the drivechain, the rest of the geometry not so much. Figure it’s time to get something which fits properly.

https://www.malvernstar.com.au/bikes/oppy-sf1/
Last edited by grumpytypewriter on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

P!N20

Re: Malvern Star Oppy SF1

Postby P!N20 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:45 am

I don't have any first hand experience, but it looks OK for a commuter. How much are they selling for?

Odd that the specs indicate disc brakes in the geometry section, but the image has rim brakes as per the specifications section. Is there a disc brake model?

Edit: now I see they've put the SF2 specs where the SF1 geometry was meant to go.

grumpytypewriter

Postby grumpytypewriter » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:56 am

Retail price of $580 pretty much everywhere. Feels ok to me provided there isn’t a lot I would need to swap out.

https://www.myride.com.au/products/2813 ... -NONE-012

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:13 am

Looks like a good starting point - can't think of anything else in that price range that's any better. There will be things you may want to upgrade down the track, but I can't see there's anything that needs to be done immediately. MyRide will offer a warranty period too in case anything goes wrong.