City of Ryde masterplan

zebee

City of Ryde masterplan

Postby zebee » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:22 pm

https://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/files/asset ... e-2022.pdf

here's the City of Ryde's idea for more bike paths and links through Eastwood and West Ryde and Meadowbank to Mac Park

One thing I notice with mild hilarity is a separated cycle way (one up one down) on Anzac Ave, you know the one that drops down just about vertically from Blaxland Rd?

Don't need a separated path going down as you go as fast as the cars do, and don't need one going up because most people are walking! They were originally talking about a shared path through Carara reserve but for some reason went ped only.

On the other hand if they can persuade Sydney Water then the proposed path through the reserve from Blaxland to Quarry and thus to Santa Rosa Park and Shrimpton Creek would be lovely. Again mild hilarity that the reserve path is short term timeline and the crossing of Blaxland is medium but hey...

It does seem they will re-open the path at Meadowbank between the TAFE and the railway line. If it could be wider than a set of handlebars that would be good! THey say short term and then "see MEEP plan", which I think is
https://gsc-public-1.s3-ap-southeast-2. ... gh_res.pdf but it has no timelines I could see.

Zebee

zebee

Re: City of Ryde masterplan

Postby zebee » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:24 pm

Damn - meant to be in the NSW section.... Maybe a mod can move it?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:31 pm

I've ridden down hills on roads before, carefully setting my speed (with the aid of the GPS computer) to be speed limit minus about 2-3km/h, and I still get motorists passing me. It's almost like the Pavlov's dog reaction: they see a cyclist going anywhere and MUST GET IN FRONT.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 pm

I always used Melville when I went across there from Els Hall and Santa Rosa Park. The corner of Blaxland and Anzac didn't really give a safe crossing option, but looks like they're going to put lights in. Will have more of a read through this later, good info to know.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:31 pm
I've ridden down hills on roads before, carefully setting my speed (with the aid of the GPS computer) to be speed limit minus about 2-3km/h, and I still get motorists passing me. It's almost like the Pavlov's dog reaction: they see a cyclist going anywhere and MUST GET IN FRONT.
Yes, I've had that happen too, they will go absolute full throttle flat out acceleration. BEEEEEP! GERRRRROFFFFFDERROAD! :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:22 pm
https://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/files/asset ... e-2022.pdf

here's the City of Ryde's idea for more bike paths and links through Eastwood and West Ryde and Meadowbank to Mac Park

One thing I notice with mild hilarity is a separated cycle way (one up one down) on Anzac Ave, you know the one that drops down just about vertically from Blaxland Rd?

Don't need a separated path going down as you go as fast as the cars do, and don't need one going up because most people are walking! They were originally talking about a shared path through Carara reserve but for some reason went ped only.

I have a similar situation Allambie Road, Allambie Heights, with the door zone bike lanes. Council have committed that when they resurface that road, they will move the centreline to remove the murder strip on the downhill side, and widen it on the uphill side so that commuting and sports bike riders are less prone to dooring. This was promised last year after I shared a video with the Road Safety Officer, where I narrowly avoided being doored while scooting downhill at more than 50km/hr.

However, those lanes serve a very different customer base from the one targetted for separated cycle lanes.

One of the innovations introduced by Phillip Gray to the Northern Beaches Council Bike Plan while he was the Active Transport Officer is to distinguish the cycling user groups between the "road cycling network" and the "safe cycling network". Bicycle NSW has shared the NBC Bike Plan with other councils as a standard to aspire to, so this might be where Ryde picked it up.

Separated bike paths and shared use paths that form the "safe cycling network" are for those cyclists not prepared to mix it up with fast motor traffic: kids riding to school, beginner riders, older riders, women (who typically have a lower risk tolerance threshold than men). In other words, the "interested but concerned" demographic who would love to ride, if only it was safe.

So if they're putting one of these separated lanes on the downhill side, you're not obligated to use it. It's not targeted at you.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:52 pm

There is one other type: strong AND fearful.

You'd be surprised at the very experienced and confident riders who get fearful around traffic. Some of them you would never expect if I mentioned them by name (which I won't).

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Officially adopted by council. With the exception of the nice direct link from Blaxland to Quarry as Sydney Water didn't want to play
https://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/files/asset ... 260722.pdf

Still no actual dates which isn't surprising.
Not all that much in the "short term" section that doesn't rely on the Meadowbank Education Precinct lot, so who knows?

The Eastwood to Mac Park bit is all "medium term" so again, who knows? Pity, I was looking forward to that given my desire to avoid the Anzac/Melville horror by taking the train to Eastwood. The method I use now is fine except for a bit of footpath riding but another route would be nice.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:58 am

Nice area to ride (no pun) in... linkages to the south (eastish) of Olympic Park were always the issue for me, but it's probably Strathfeild areas domain.

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:35 pm

gururug wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:58 am
Nice area to ride (no pun) in... linkages to the south (eastish) of Olympic Park were always the issue for me, but it's probably Strathfeild areas domain.
depends on the bits I guess. Once you cross the river then you either take the bridge over to wentworth point or the shared stuff along the river to the olympic park paths, or rider boulevard ditto.

Once I've got to Olympic Park shared park parallel to Homebush Bay Dr. I take the Victoria underpass to get under HB Dr then along side the tennis courts and over Powell's Ck, up to Pomeroy, over the M4 and away to the Cook's River.

If you are thinking more Concord and east of that yeah that's harder. They've done a lot more along Powell's creek now, can get all the way to Paramatta Rd close to the M4 entrance at Homebush. I notice with bemusement that part of Paramatta Rd is marked in google maps cycling as "bicycle friendly road".

In what universe?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:20 pm

zebee wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:35 pm
gururug wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:58 am
depends on the bits I guess. Once you cross the river then you either take the bridge over to wentworth point or the shared stuff along the river to the olympic park paths, or rider boulevard ditto.

Once I've got to Olympic Park shared park parallel to Homebush Bay Dr. I take the Victoria underpass to get under HB Dr then along side the tennis courts and over Powell's Ck, up to Pomeroy, over the M4 and away to the Cook's River.

If you are thinking more Concord and east of that yeah that's harder. They've done a lot more along Powell's creek now, can get all the way to Paramatta Rd close to the M4 entrance at Homebush. I notice with bemusement that part of Paramatta Rd is marked in google maps cycling as "bicycle friendly road".

In what universe?
No way. I can say that for sure. I used to commute in 29.2km from Western Sydney into Loftus Street Sydney just up from Circular Quay. The least favourite part of it for me was surely the bit going past Officeworks then all the way to the Audi dealer. That was hard work pushing big power and you had to be really alert. I had a BMW cut off my braking room one day and had a near miss.

I managed to weave up onto the footpath and fortunately the tip truck behind me saw what was happening and kept his distance.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 pm

zebee wrote:

If you are thinking more Concord and east of that yeah that's harder. They've done a lot more along Powell's creek now, can get all the way to Paramatta Rd close to the M4 entrance at Homebush.
From the city side of Ryde Bridge from either side of the Parramatta River cycleway you can ride on paths and dedicated bike lanes on roads all the way to Five Dock and then join the Bay Run path at Timbrell Park, from there you can get to the CBD via Anzac Bridge on paths all the way - and then you can make your way back to Tempe via bike lanes and paths (with quite a few gaps) and return via the Cooks River path. It's quite well connected apart from the City of Sydney bit which is really disjointed.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 am

zebee wrote:
and away to the Cook's River
amen, thanking you!
zebee wrote:
that part of Paramatta Rd is marked in google maps cycling as "bicycle friendly road".

In what universe?
:D brake testing friendly? :roll: