Launceston to Hobart bike hire

TimmyTwoWheels

Launceston to Hobart bike hire

Postby TimmyTwoWheels » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to ride from Launceston to Hobart and am looking for somewhere I can hire a bike for the trip, preferably with the option to drop off in Hobart at the end. Does anyone have a recommendation/advice?

Also, I don't have a great deal of experience of tour cycling. Do you think it would be better to hire a proper touring bike and take pannier bags or hire a road bike and load it up with a few bikepacking bags? Am open to either but figure a road bike might be a bit lighter/easier to make the distance (plus I imagine I will mostly be road cycling on this trip).

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

Retrobyte

Re: Launceston to Hobart bike hire

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:46 am

Roll Rentals are one that has shops in both Launceston and Hobart, allowing you to pick up at one location and drop off at the other

WheelsOfChance

Re: Launceston to Hobart bike hire

Postby WheelsOfChance » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:03 am

If you ride down the centre or down the east coast you are on tar (although there are gravel roads you can take). There are a couple of reasonable hill climbs which might be a struggle on a road bike with road bike gearing - depends on your fitness of course.
This is my description of one route where I used a touring bike and camped at caravan parks. The amount of gear I carried wasn't great so a bike packing set up would have worked.

https://sites.google.com/view/have-bicy ... an-sojourn
Tony