10yr Old Merida One-Twenty 2000

Swaartbaard

10yr Old Merida One-Twenty 2000

Postby Swaartbaard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:44 am

Hi all!

I'm getting back in mountain biking after a long hiatus. I don't want to break the bank though cause i'm still not convinced that I will be able to dedicate enough time

I saw a Merida One-Twenty 2000 for sale for $900AUD in almost perfect nick. I've done some digging and can't find much on this model but it does seem to be manufactured in 2012. Does anyone think this is a good deal? Or is the age of the bike a deal breaker?

Also; I usually ride a 19" but this is a 18". I'm 178 cm tall.

Thanks!

Calvin27

Re: 10yr Old Merida One-Twenty 2000

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:20 pm

Generally solid bikes. With all things mountain biking, progress has made these bikes less desirable, but nonetheless still very capable bikes.

With mountain bikes they generally go cheap because the maintenance requirements are huge compared to road bikes. A few things to note/check, in order of importance:
- The frame is in good nick and no visible signs of impact or cracks.
- The front and rear shocks are working and has had a service (or has had very little use). These are probably one of the massive cost items for used mtbs. Forks and shocks costs a bomb and servicing them isn't cheap either.
- Good quality brakes. Shimano of that era is good, sram not so much. If you get anything avid, you will likely replace those in 3 months.
- Wheels are true and not buckled, rims are clear from any dents etc. Bonus if the wheels are tubeless compatible, but unlikely for that bike price range of that era.
- As for sizing, 18" I'd say is a bit on the small side for you. Older mtbs had shorter reach and longer stems. An easy upgrade for steering is to size up to a 19" frame and go for a shorter stem.
- As for price. Hard to say, depends on the condition above, but my relatively good condition kona hei hei in 19" (shameless plug) has been on the market for a few weeks for $1k without any bites. I feel like the market is getting good for buyers so keep an eye out.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Swaartbaard

Postby Swaartbaard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:12 pm

Thanks Calvin27! Exactly what I needed to hear

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:49 pm

I test rode that model before buying a kona. Keep in mind that will have 26 inch wheels which were fine at the time but no new bikes come in that size now. Suspension parts may need a service. 18 inch was the size I rode at 178, but you really need to ride to size it for yourself.