Suggestion for 60ish fit rider who wants a bike with wider tyres than a road bike?

Ride for Life

Suggestion for 60ish fit rider who wants a bike with wider tyres than a road bike?

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:24 pm

I have a road bike with thin tyres and have had two falls recently, tyre got stuck in road fissure and 2nd gravel, lost confidence and fell. Want to try a bike with wider tyres. Any suggestions from women in the 60's age group?

Thoglette

Re: Suggestion for 60ish fit rider who wants a bike with wider tyres than a road bike?

Postby Thoglette » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:50 pm

If you're running disc brakes you may be able to fit 650B (aka 27.5") wheels in your current frame with substantially wider tyres.

It's a bit dated now but Sheldon Brown wrote a conversion how-to article
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Ride for Life

Re: Suggestion for 60ish fit rider who wants a bike with wider tyres than a road bike?

Postby Ride for Life » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:45 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I am off to the bike shop tomorrow to see if I can use a wider tyre. I really appreciate your advice. As an "older" new rider, who has fallen in love with cycling, I am keen to maybe be a ? but safer on thicker tyres. I will hope fully get some good advice tomorrow.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:44 pm

Do you know what current width tyres you're using, and what is the max clearance on your frame? Are you on disc brakes?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 am

Ride for Life wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:45 pm
Thank you so much for your reply. I am off to the bike shop tomorrow to see if I can use a wider tyre. I really appreciate your advice. As an "older" new rider, who has fallen in love with cycling, I am keen to maybe be a ? but safer on thicker tyres. I will hope fully get some good advice tomorrow.
How did you go?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:16 pm

Odd that nobody has suggested a gravel bike - these come with wider tyres, just what you are asking for.

For example, the Canyon Endurace has clearance for 35mm tyres, the Canyon Grizl has clearance for 50mm tyres. There is a range of versions to suit most budgets.

All the major manufacturers will have similar offerings.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:08 pm

RonK wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:16 pm
Odd that nobody has suggested a gravel bike - these come with wider tyres, just what you are asking for.

For example, the Canyon Endurace has clearance for 35mm tyres, the Canyon Grizl has clearance for 50mm tyres. There is a range of versions to suit most budgets.

All the major manufacturers will have similar offerings.
We did.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106941&p=1581506#p1581506
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:06 am

Late to this… and gravel is a natural option for a complete bike.

For a road bike there is a option of wider tyres, these will be limited by the rim width… and if you want two take a wheel out the tyres can be tougher to squeeze out.

Or, wider rims and wider tyres. Though will depends on the frame snd there could be sensible limits.
Cycling is in my BNA

Hollyford

Postby Hollyford » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:41 am

Hi, from a similar age rider - I bike a combination of tracks and trails and roads, and I do not use a gravel bike or road bike as no suspension. For me this is a key feature if using your bike on any surface other than tarseal and at least as important as tyre width. I have just changed (LBS advice) from a HT to a Juliana carbon FS - despite lots of 'woes' from family and friend biking experts re weight and drag etc - the FS mountain bike is now my go-to for daily commute, tracks, trails, touring involving different road surfaces. When I only bike hard surface roads (mainly overseas touring) I use a Vivente Anatolia and I had wider tyres fitted (LBS set up for me) and the difference in terms of stability is significant.
So my advice is while tyre width really helps stability, suspension is at least as important especially for older age persons biking a lot.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 pm

Hollyford wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:41 am
So my advice is while tyre width really helps stability, suspension is at least as important especially for older age persons biking a lot.
What exactly do you think is happening here? I've got some ideas but I'd love to hear what you think's going on
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ